Charging switch (2 Viewers)

Jan 12, 2022
South West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7r
Exp
A few weeks
Hello, Im new to the forum and motorhoming. We recently purchased a “mature“ Laibach Ecovip r7 and love it. We had our first adventure over new year. However by the third night we realised the lights had dimmed even though it was plugged in. The fridge and microwave were working happily on electric so the supply is getting into the van.
The control panel has a three way rocker switch on it to control charging. In the centre it is off. In the top position a red light comes on for the leisure battery charge and the lower position is for the engine battery. On the trip, the lights brightened if I pressed it to the top position. However, the switch would not remain in position and returned automatically to the central position, the charging light went out and the habitation lights dimmed. My question is this…. (and it may be a stupid novice one) Should the switch stay in the pressed position in order for charging to take place or should it behave as a momentary switch and return to centre?
kind regards
Paul

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try the switch the other way and see what it does in that position
If it stays latched the switch is knackered....I'm sure it should stay latched.
If it does stay it will use the starter battery for power.....don't flatten the battery
As a temp fix remove the panel front and see if the switch has wires or if it's soldered to the control board.
If it has wires pull off the two outer wires and swap them over
The switch will then show to be on engine battery but taking power from the leisure battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scrims900
Jan 12, 2022
South West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7r
Exp
A few weeks
Thank you for responding.
The switch will not stay latched in either direction. This was what was throwing me. I took of the cover to look at the switch back earlier and it is wired. With my schoolboy electronics of 30 years ago I thought it should stay latched to work but looking at stuff on the internet I began to doubt myself. I just don’t want to beggar it up through ignorance.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Is the switch just so you can "see" the charge in each battery rather than switch sources physically? I would think a relay would click if it were switching between batteries but not if it were just reading off the volts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scrims900
Jan 12, 2022
South West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7r
Exp
A few weeks
Just uploading now.

Attachments

• 5DF91A0D-ECAA-498E-84DD-15630EDCFB1A.jpeg
    5DF91A0D-ECAA-498E-84DD-15630EDCFB1A.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0
OP
OP
scrims900
Jan 12, 2022
South West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7r
Exp
A few weeks
Just uploading pic now. It’s waiting to be authorised. There is a little battery sign above with what I presume is a charging cable attached above the switch. This lights up when I depress the switch either way but stops when I let go and it returns to the centre. From reading the page in the manual it reads to me that the switch should stay in position.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scrims900
Jan 12, 2022
South West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7r
Exp
A few weeks
Here is relevant page in manual

Attachments

• 429739F6-606C-4664-A809-B2792EC4E948.jpeg
    429739F6-606C-4664-A809-B2792EC4E948.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DA548903-F456-41A1-A467-C3C1F5982833.jpeg
    DA548903-F456-41A1-A467-C3C1F5982833.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Yep - I'd guess a broken switch that should be latching in the up or down position.

Oh - and I think you'll have to pay up to continue posting. It's worth it in my experience.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
According to the book it looks like the switch should be a latching type but its oddly marked.
Assuming its latching and its not doing so then measure the physical size of the switch body and the panel hole, there are many similar ones around. Presume it needs to be centre off. Take a pic of all the wiring before you start.
Lovely neat set up if I may say so and at least you do have an instruction book!.
Mike
PS welcome to 'fun

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The switch could work in one of two ways
The switch itself could latch in either direction...which it isnt
Or
The switch may operate a latching relay

As it doesn't latch you could temporarily bypass it.
Take the terminal from the top of the switch and the center.
Put the two together and tape up.
You won't be able to turn 12v off but it will keep you going on leisure battery until it can be fixed.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Is it just me that thinks that is not the original switch? looks more like an electric window switch from a car

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scrims900
Jan 12, 2022
South West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7r
Exp
A few weeks
Is it just me that thinks that is not the original switch? looks more like an electric window switch from a car
Here we are on Friday night. COVID has struck our family so I have moved into the van to sleep. Anyway, when I started getting things together, duvets etc there were no lights or 12v electrics Even though the van has been plugged in all week.
I pressed the battery charge button (pictured in a previous post) and they came on. I have used a bit of duct tape to hold the switch in position tonight so all 12v stuff now working. This is a cruder version of Papajohn’s advice to bypass the switch.
I looked again at the switches and think you could be right about the switch “TheBig1.” It does appear to be a later addition. I think it is a momentary switch which would fit with the electric window theory.
Two new batteries were installed as part of the purchase deal so I‘m sure it isn’t a defunct battery.
There are six pins on the switch so would I be right in thinking that one side might be for hook up charging and the other for charging when the engine is running?
On a completely separate matter - I’m not sure if it is allowed on the forum to recommend retailers. However, the Laika is over 20 years old so we purchased a new fixed bed mattress. It is really comfortable, arrived quickly and was reasonably priced. I‘m happy to post the name of the supplier if that is allowed - I would not benefit financially from doing so.
Have a good weekend,
Paul
Paul

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
There are six pins on the switch so would I be right in thinking that one side might be for hook up charging and the other for charging when the engine is running?
Not knowing the details of your setup, I'd guess that of the six pins, the centre two go to the habitation electrics, the top two are the leisure battery and the bottom two are the starter battery. Although top and bottom may be reversed.

The alternator/starter battery relay to charge the leisure battery while the engine is running will I imagine be entirely separate from that switch. However the hookup might go to the habitation electrics, then to the centre pair and so could be switched to either battery. But it's best to get a multimeter and check for yourself, especially if you think there's been some mod/bodge with the switch.

think you could be right about the switch “TheBig1.”
If you put an @ before the name, they will get an alert popping up to say they have been mentioned, for example
@ plus scrims900 becomes scrims900

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
scrims900
Jan 12, 2022
South West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7r
Exp
A few weeks
Thanks for the reply and the tip re @.
Having taped up the switch last night I appear to have full charge. I will change the switch and hopefully all will be well.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back