Lathe mods (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Around 5 years ago I bought a quick change tool post for my old lathe and today I finally fitted it after making an adaptor for the top slide.:party2:

Also while tidying up I found a faceplate, it fits but the register isn't deep enough and it hits the threads on the spindle before getting seated, its 11/2" x8 tpi.
Got no way to hold so I just reversed it and screwed it on, then machined it deeper behind the register.
Once that was done I mounted it and faced it.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I keep thinking I’ll take up wood turning as a hobby,as I like the feel of wood and I ve got some yew that I think would be good to work on. I’ve no other diy skills!!!!

But where do I start……..which lathe to buy,how to learn the skill, pitfalls,elf and safety,blah blah.
Comments welcome,thanks.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Love a lathe, I have a Colchester Student, nice easy beginners machine. Most are 3 phase so you need to see if that can be connected.

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
I’ve got an Axminster crafter great for around £500 it’s the tools that cost the most.
Hope you get one and enjo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
I keep thinking I’ll take up wood turning as a hobby,as I like the feel of wood and I ve got some yew that I think would be good to work on. I’ve no other diy skills!!!!

But where do I start……..which lathe to buy,how to learn the skill, pitfalls,elf and safety,blah blah.
Comments welcome,thanks.
Buy yourself a good second hand unit, you can sometimes find a complete set-up with a set of tools on E-bay.
Get a couple of good books as well.
Where are you based, I can show you my set-up, here in Bury St Edmunds, if you would like to have a look and a try out,
Joe

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Comments welcome,thanks.
Ask Baycott .

He is not known as Woody for nowt is he Badknee ?

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012

Comments welcome,thanks.

You can always cut wood on a metalworking lathe, but not the other way around!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.

Comments welcome,thanks.
Ask Baycott .

He is not known as Woody for nowt is he Badknee ?
Ah yes, John has built up a thriving business. The Woody Baycott wood shaving manufacturing company hasn’t he Chris ? He keeps telling us he’s making “stuff” but the stuff is woodshaving and lots of them. :rofl::rofl:

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Many professional turners offer part day, day or multi day tasters or beginners courses. That would be enough to let you know if it’s for you.
You can get more info from https://www.awgb.co.uk/ or other organisations.
There are also local woodturners groups or men’s sheds who have all the kit and experienced turners to help.

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
I got a surprise chrimbo pressie of a wood turning lathe (AXMINSTER AC240WL), I’ve bought the cheapest nastiest gouge set I could find (Silverline 8 piece set) for £30 and through the power of u-Tube am now slicing, cutting & scraping away merrily, I’m having a blast learning on some very well seasoned tree that I dropped about 6 years ago (ornamental cherrie I think). I’ve gone for cheap tools as I figure I’ll trash them while learning how to sharpen them, once I’ve got the hang of it I’ll invest in some “nice” chisels.

Jim

PS, yes, loads of shavings!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I have a myford ml8 which I got for free!

Great lathe much better than I am at turning!!

Would love a metal working lathe but don't have the space for one!

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
olley That's a good solution. I found a collar to fit, effectively shortening the thread.
Podney Just do it. Yew is a lovely wood to turn. Happy to chat if you want to PM me.
Badknee :lips::moon2:
I bought a second hand Axminster craft lathe on eBay for £150 and some cheap tools to start and my sone bought me a day tutoring in Axminster. Well worth it for the hands on experience. Loads of YouTube turners out there too for ideas and designs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back