Chic C-line 4.8 2014 squeaky noises from pull down bed (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2020
Budapest, Hungary
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-line
Exp
I'm a newbie
New Carthago owner here, so be kind to me pls...:)

So, after a 1996 Hymer B544, then a 2012 Dethleffs Globe4 now I decided to step up, and bought a 2014 Chic C-line 4.8 in Italy (I'm from Hungary).

Although the car is as sturdy as you can expect from a Carthago, the drop down bed gives me headache...

I'm overly sensitive to noises, so these squeaky, quirky noises coming above my head will drive me crazy, for sure.

Anyone here who could help me where to look, what to grease, what to align ot tighten?

Thanks!

ps.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Welcome to MHFun.

Regarding the overbed bed:
1) make sure the shoot-bolts either side of the bed fully extend into the plastic catch
2) the control wire attached to the shoot-bolts should be slightly slack when in the locked position
3) the plastic catch can get worn. If so, it can be reversed on it's mounting.

I know of one owner who bought a couple of small inflatable bags and inflated them either side between bed and bodywork. This prevents any sideways movement. I'm thinking of trying this myself as I very rarely need to use the overhead bed.

OP
OP
LCD72
Jan 24, 2020
Budapest, Hungary
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-line
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks, I'll take a closer look on the mentioned parts!

The bag method would be slightly inconvenient, I'v got two kids to sleep there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had the same issue but on the passenger side of the bed, hubby put some rubber sleeve on the 'pins' and adjusted the catches, no rattle now.

Also:

OP
OP
LCD72
Jan 24, 2020
Budapest, Hungary
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-line
Exp
I'm a newbie
We had the same issue but on the passenger side of the bed, hubby put some rubber sleeve on the 'pins' and adjusted the catches, no rattle now.

Also:
Thanks, I'll check that thread too!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
It would appear that the latching mechanism has been revised for the later model Carthagos, as indicated by the link provided by Minxy.

My description of the latching mechanism is based on a 2010 C-line.

Another source of cab squeaks is where the Fiat dashboard joins with the plastic Carthago extension to the windscreen. I regularly treat this interface (every year) with a liberal dose of silicone spray.

I've also given the pivot points on the dropdown bed a dose of silicone spray, although I doubt this is a major cause of squeaks.

OP
OP
LCD72
Jan 24, 2020
Budapest, Hungary
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-line
Exp
I'm a newbie
It would appear that the latching mechanism has been revised for the later model Carthagos, as indicated by the link provided by Minxy.

My description of the latching mechanism is based on a 2010 C-line.

Another source of cab squeaks is where the Fiat dashboard joins with the plastic Carthago extension to the windscreen. I regularly treat this interface (every year) with a liberal dose of silicone spray.

I've also given the pivot points on the dropdown bed a dose of silicone spray, although I doubt this is a major cause of squeaks.
Good point, thanks. How you do this, simply spray it in with a long nozzle?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One other thing that squeaks on ours isn't inside but outside. Its the A-pillar bodywork trim on the nearside which rubs on the side window about 6" up from the bottom of it, I solved it shortly after we were on our first holiday with a small cable tie pushed in to keep them slightly apart ... one day I might actually fix it properly but for now I just push the cable tie in if it tries to make a bid for freedom! :giggle:

MH Photo 1.png

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
One other thing that squeaks on ours isn't inside but outside. Its the A-pillar bodywork trim on the nearside which rubs on the side window about 6" up from the bottom of it, I solved it shortly after we were on our first holiday with a small cable tie pushed in to keep them slightly apart ... one day I might actually fix it properly but for now I just push the cable tie in if it tries to make a bid for freedom! :giggle:

View attachment 575362
I experienced the same noise that became a deafening rattle. I had to remove the exterior trim and replace the top plastic locator and adjust the aluminium sleeves. Problem solved.

Attachments

• 20200527_112036.jpg
    20200527_112036.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 58

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I experienced the same noise that became a deafening rattle. I had to remove the exterior trim and replace the top plastic locator and adjust the aluminium sleeves. Problem solved.
Errrrr .... I think I'll stick with my cable tie, much easier! :giggle:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome!

If you think the noise is coming from the bed, I'd rattle it about a bit to see if I could replicate the sound.
If you can make the noise by moving it in one direction or another it will, at least, confirm that it's coming from the bed and it may give a clue as to what kind of movement you need to stop.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Welcome!

If you think the noise is coming from the bed, I'd rattle it about a bit to see if I could replicate the sound.
If you can make the noise by moving it in one direction or another it will, at least, confirm that it's coming from the bed and it may give a clue as to what kind of movement you need to stop.
Too much hanky-panky maybe? :blusher:

OP
OP
LCD72
Jan 24, 2020
Budapest, Hungary
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-line
Exp
I'm a newbie
Welcome!

Wagoneer suggested to use inflatable bags, but to do this every morning this sounds somewhat inconvenient. We aren’t the “stay in camping fir two weeks” type, we like to be on the road, like following the Giro d’Italia stage by stage for two weeks.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Too much hanky-panky maybe? :blusher:
I think the problem is while the bed is up (and travelling) so not much chance of 'activity upstairs' under those conditions.
And who ever said you can have too much of that, anyway?

If the noise comes when the bed moves from one position to another, you know where to chock it. Better still, look for any slack in the mechanism that allows such movement.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Wagoneer suggested to use inflatable bags, but to do this every morning this sounds somewhat inconvenient. We aren’t the “stay in camping fir two weeks” type, we like to be on the road, like following the Giro d’Italia stage by stage for two weeks.
We use a pair of inflatable wedge bags to help reduce lateral movement/knocks/squeaks etc on our overcab bed assembly. They can both be inserted and pumped in under a minute. Probably the quickest method we have found to eliminate the irritating noises whilst driving

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We use a pair of inflatable wedge bags to help reduce lateral movement/knocks/squeaks etc on our overcab bed assembly. They can both be inserted and pumped in under a minute. Probably the quickest method we have found to eliminate the irritating noises whilst driving
Wouldn't stuffing a couple of cushions up do the same job?

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Wouldn't stuffing a couple of cushions up do the same job?
There's not that much room at the sides to be fair, and the little wedge bags are only 6" x 5" (flat) plus the puffer bulb obviously. We've used them elsewhere in the van too when they're not silencing the squeaky bed noises ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There's not that much room at the sides to be fair, and the little wedge bags are only 6" x 5" (flat) plus the puffer bulb obviously. We've used them elsewhere in the van too when they're not silencing the squeaky bed noises ;)
:oops:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a rattle more of a knocking on the LHD side of the bed on our Hymer. For two years I thought it was coming from down below, finaly found out it was the bed. When it rattles if you push up hard while driving it stops. Tightened up all the bolts made it a bit quieter then it got noisy again in Spain last year, sprayed all the bolts and pivots with silicone, bliss silence. Then we went down a rough track & now it's the worst it's ever been, driving me flipping nuts, always forget to have a look at it before we go away. It's the only thing in the van that rattles & really gets on my nerves.

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
We collected our van from the dealership this weekend, following a small amount of warranty work. One of the replacement items was a new curtain shroud for the drop-down bed. As a result of having someone replacing the curtain and having needed to lower the bed to do so, when we drove home (150 mile journey) we had all of the clonks and donks back above our heads again. All of the little tweaks and fixes now need to be revisited again. We only had one of the air wedges with us and that on its own wasn't sufficient to stop the clonking sound. Clearly there's a best position for the bed to be retained in and once it's disturbed, you need to find that sweet spot again. It can only be a matter of a millimetre but somehow, it's enough to create one heck of a clonk and that's even on a smooth road surface.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Would you have a link to those bags please ?

We also have an annoying noise from the drop-down bed whilst driving.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I had the same issue and the dealer spent more time scratching his head and wondering than repairing. I eventually adjusted the locks on each side to keep the bed higher to the roof. No more issues in 5 years.

Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
New Carthago owner here, so be kind to me pls...:)

So, after a 1996 Hymer B544, then a 2012 Dethleffs Globe4 now I decided to step up, and bought a 2014 Chic C-line 4.8 in Italy (I'm from Hungary).

Although the car is as sturdy as you can expect from a Carthago, the drop down bed gives me headache...

I'm overly sensitive to noises, so these squeaky, quirky noises coming above my head will drive me crazy, for sure.

Anyone here who could help me where to look, what to grease, what to align ot tighten?

Thanks!

ps.
I had the same issue with a new Carado in 2018 then a new Hymer in 2020( both A class mohos, mechanical not electric drop down beds)
In both cases the dealer suggested packing with foam! Be careful though you don’t want to over stress the walls!
We put pillows in the front along with a duvet folded up which made it strenuous to close but solved any opportunity for it to be due to vertical movement, then foam at the sides ( off cuts from a Dunelm mattress topper which we shaped to fit the rear island bed! This stopped the lateral movement. Then one time when the foam was not in the problem miraculously cured itself! Don’t know how long for! Would like to understand if an electric drop down bed is as bad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back