Free Member
May 10, 2010
North East England,
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
newbie, ex caravaner
Hi, hello again, about a year since I joined the Forum and said I was retiring and thinking of buying a motorhome. Well ive done it, ordered a Bailey 740 at the NEC yesterday, the spec is very good and the furniture seems well put together. I will continue camping with the caravan over the winter but I know it will be a case of counting down the weeks.
This summers trip to the south of France which was unplanned and last minute with nothing booked resulted in a real pain trying to get on sites near the coast, I was now aware after reading on this site of the Aires and observed that if you stopped early enough in the day there would be some room if stuck and said to the wife thats it my minds made up next year it will be Motorhome Fun, so got all winter to try and get my head round having the different choices of overnight stops, pubs etc.
Looking forward.
Phill.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Congratulations! We changed over from a caravan over a year ago and have never looked back. The freedom is fantastic!
HOpe you don't have to wait too long for your new toy.

OP
OP
J

Johno1

Free Member
May 10, 2010
North East England,
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
newbie, ex caravaner
Yeah looking forward to probably March 2012 reg, got what I suspect are normal doubts about not having the car to pop out in but will enjoy working this out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yeah looking forward to probably March 2012 reg, got what I suspect are normal doubts about not having the car to pop out in but will enjoy working this out.
Hi Phill,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Bailey MH. :thumb:

As tuggers for 16 years, we wondered about not having the car to tour and sightsee with, but TBH, it just needs a different type of planning, ie, shop on the way, rather than when you arrive, and use locations close to bus routes. Also, take the bikes on the back of the MH if you can.

Staying on Aires and Stellpatz can be excellent, if you do your homework/planning.
Other than the UK MH Shows, we find that we seldom stay over at a location more than two nights now, whereas with the caravan, we'd be stuck at the same location for two weeks.

Do you use a sat nav?

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita.

OP
OP
J

Johno1

Free Member
May 10, 2010
North East England,
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
newbie, ex caravaner
Hi, Jock &Rita, pretty much do as you suggest already, car not used on a weekend till time to go home. I will have a bike and was thinking of a motor scooter and obviously I can use the motorhome, just at 7.5m will need a bit of care if going into town. Itll be a learning curve.
Phill.
I do use a sat nav but always plan a route on a map first.

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi folks and welcome.
You'll find advice on anything on here, along with the right degree of friendly lunacy.
Go to meets and meet the folks. Good, helpful people.
Best tenner you'll spend this year.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I do use a sat nav but always plan a route on a map first.
Here you go Phill, which was my reason for asking.

The French Aires POI download for your Sat Nav. (Click on Cliquez pour entrer, then Telechargement GPS on the left menu).
and
The German Stellplatz POI download for your Sat Nav. (Click on Bordatlas complete).

Although they both tend to cover the same locations across the whole of Europe, both are recommended. We have found these to be invaluable when abroad with the MH, and as a MH owner, you are made welcome at nearly all locations, unlike here in the UK.

Happy travels.

Jock & Rita.

OP
OP
J

Johno1

Free Member
May 10, 2010
North East England,
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
newbie, ex caravaner
Jock&Rita, Cheers, had a look at the links and it looks a really useful download, it will probably persuade me to buy a kosher sat nav, the one I use £60 ish from Hong kong with every country in the world nearly, but still very good to use in Europe.
Thanks Phill

Ikonos74

Free Member
May 31, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2010
We changed over from caravans to motorhomes about 1.5 years ago and would not look back, me and hubby are in our late 30's and decided to bite the bullet, method to our madness was enjoy it now with the kids, as you can't take it with you when you go. Never been abroad with either caravan or motorhome yet. Going nect year though.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This summers trip to the south of France which was unplanned and last minute with nothing booked resulted in a real pain trying to get on sites near the coastof overnight stops, pubs etc.
Phill.

I know that feeling. Even in September we had difficulty getting pitches for our MH. Pesciera del Garda is almost one huge campsite but it was third time lucky getting a pitch.

Further north, near the Austrian border ( what a glorious region ) we were getting really concerned, should have been on a very expensive site at 15:00, full. Next one full. Next one full. Next one full. Next one had one or two pitches at €32 a night.

At least 90% were Germans, Germany must have been empty. Well actually when we got there, we had trouble getting a pitch yet again and on a nice site they could offer just one night.

All along the Moselle the riverside campsites were heaving.

I did not expect this or the heat in September.

OP
OP
J

Johno1

Free Member
May 10, 2010
North East England,
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
newbie, ex caravaner
So what do you do, travelling with a motorhome, getting a bit late in the evening and tried all sites in the region by visiting and phoning with no joy? do you head off for the nearest motorway and use a service station to overnight. with its security problems? This is what we used to do till one night above Perpignan the wife who is a light sleeper was aware of torch light at the caravan windows where the kids were sleeping and then noises at the door, she woke me and I made a bit of a row and went to the door in a hurry, opening the door two well built guys were just sauntering away not concerned with my shouts at them, next morning scratches could be seen on the trim around the door edge. since then the wife has been a bit nervous of stopping overnight off a campsite even though the children no longer holiday with us.
This is really asking for some advice if finding ourselves in this situation, are aires the answer or is it that touring in the summer months is not feasible in popular areas?
regards Phill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back