Cooking with just a grill? (1 Viewer)

ThinkingAbout

Free Member
Jul 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
We’ve had to let go of the ideal MH we wanted to buy due to the price increases. We’re looking at a second hand one that has a small kitchen area with gas hob and a grill only, no grill/oven combi. Can you cook things in a grill that say oven only? We tend to get takeaway/eat out or stir fry and will get a portbale Gas BBQ/or outdoor hot plate so would the lack of an oven for winter touring be bad? Also we thought the electric hot plate in some helps if you’re always on EHU, which we would always tend to be needing a Cpap machine overnight. So would buying a portable electric hot plate be useful for hot drinks etc?

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Having been living in our MH for the last 3 months I’d say no with just a grill but that’s us. We bought a Remoska (way overpriced but has been a god send for us) as we’re currently on ehu and couldn’t have survived without it.

Whatever you have in the MH you’ll get by with, just depends on how much you cook and your life style if you’ll be happy with what you’ve got or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Lots of folk swear by the omnia stove top oven. Have a look on YouTube.
good luck

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
In our years of caravanning and motorhoming we have never used the oven,just used a good heavy based aluminium pan with a lid on the hob as an oven.

Depending on you make of CPAP machine,I have a Res Med,you can get 'convertors' so you use it on 12v.

AnnieB

Free Member
Jan 6, 2021
Grt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Air
Exp
8+ years
We had 4 years in an Autosleeper Topaz with only a grill and 2 gas burners. The grill was useless as a grill so I doubt it would be any better as an oven.
We too bought a Remoska and used it and the burners for everything. We now have an oven and a microwave (different van) and feel very decadent

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have the first van without an oven and grill, but have always had a remoska, great for when you have hook up,
have a ridge monkey in my day van it’s ok but not as versatile as i would like, Tried an omnia look alike, but the shape did not work for me.
Do wish I still had my original skillet, which worked very well on the stove top. Think new ones are available but not tried one yet.

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
We’ve got one of those Dometic Tower thingys, the oven/grill is at the top - never used it for cooking in 7 years
In a normal year we spend a lot of time away, several weeks at a time and everything is cooked on the hob (we don’t eat out much).
Like some folks on here, you will develop Motorhome Meals which fit your on-board facilities perfectly.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We use our thetford gas oven for baked potatoes, pizza, Crisping up baguettes heating plates and keeping stuff warm. Wouldn't be without it. We don't often use hook up as it's metered and expensive.
Same here.
Plus, my experience of the grills in m/h cookers is that they are rubbish, even for making toast.

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Our oven is only a warming oven really takes 3 times as long to cook anything and grill is only wide enough for 2 slices of bread if you keep turning the slices around most things are done on the 3 rings of the hob we use a remoska on hookup at with the inverter if driving.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Our Dometic oven/grill used to get a hammering but less so no we've bought an air fryer. The fryer is really just a mini oven so cooks pretty much everything an oven would but much quicker and more economically.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We have one of these brilliant but buy the grand size not the standard, you can fit small things in a bigger one but yoi can't fit big things in the smaller one.

We don't use our cooker at all now only as a worktop, we have two Induction hobs which are far better than the gas hobs.
For outside cooking we have this little beauty, we bought a wok lid that fits it perfectly.

Broken Link Removed

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Our Dometic oven/grill used to get a hammering but less so no we've bought an air fryer. The fryer is really just a mini oven so cooks pretty much everything an oven would but much quicker and more economically.

We have an airfryer ,and it works really well with the invertor!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have motorhomed/caravanned/camped throughout most of my life and can promise you, that there are always ways around such problems. We have had many many vans, with and without an oven. Some even had microwaves, which were of little real use.

You hear the terms remoska and ridge monkey, these are brand names for what in reality is a double skillet. A large frying pan with a second attached on top to create an "oven" space. They are ancient technology and were used on open fires long before anyone thought of a modern motorhome. Think log cabins or a chuck wagon behind a horse. People managed and thrived without a modern oven

If your diet relies heavily on large amounts of baked goods, then there are options, you can even buy portable gas ovens

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Oh, forgot to say, pretty much all CPAP machines are able to run off a 12v adaptor. Similar to a laptop adaptor. Plugs into a 12v cigar type socket and outputs the 19v or 24v required. I bought one for my Wife's one CPAP from Amazon for under £20. With plenty of solar panels we can run offgrid for weeks at a time with no need for EHU

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We use an original Double Skillet. The only issue is that you can't do wet stuff in it. At least you can't do wet stuff in it and turn it without some leaking out. Surprisingly effective.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have no grill or oven. I cook amazing meals (my husband says they are amazing) with a Remoska and an air fryer. Yesterday I cooked a whole roast chicken, roast potatoes, stuffing and sprouts. All done in the MH.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Air fryer? Brenda insisted I get an air fryer for the van but settled on a Ninja oven and grill. Takes up little space when stowed away and is only used on sites with hook up. Being light, it is far more suitable than a microwave

OP
OP
T

ThinkingAbout

Free Member
Jul 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
Thanks all, will be happier going forward to look at it. quite a lot of our cooking is salad based or single wok/frying pan so can miss out the oven for the few times a week it gets used.
thanks for the CPAP advice too, was thinking I would have to buy one of the giant few hundred pound batteries in case of hook up failure or absence

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Our hymer van has a small kitchen at the back, we were off the mind of a always eating out! Only had the van 3 years, used 1st year, before all this C...stuff arrived, so we had no choice, but to eat in the van, which we coped well with..yes got small microwave, use the gas hob top, all good, like all have said, you will find alternatives to suit your needs, at present our trips due to work! :mad: are as not as long as we would like, so again we use what is helpful to us, the here and now.
good luck (y) but
Always on this site, so much varied responses, I'm sure you will find something to suit you.

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
It sounds to me like you would use an oven and think you might regret not having one, I would keep looking - the right motorhome for you will be out there. The oven in our motorhome is very good and gets well-used, not just for reheating but "holiday staples" such as Aunt Bessie's frozen toad in the hole and baking frozen croissants for breakfast.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
When we had a van without an oven I used a halogen oven. Worked really well but it is in the loft now as our van has an oven / grill combo.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Use our oven as a plate warmer😁

It seems if we have the heating and hob going the oven struggles to get to 140 and then as soon as you open the door temperature drops and takes forever to get back up again.

You wouldn’t think it would be that hard to make something that works ?

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
We have had a 15 in 1 Ninja foodi for a couple of months now, big ol beast but can cook almost anything. Had our van just over a year and the oven is still brand new..not used it at all.
Interesting,we use our ninja at home more than the oven,do you use the large model? and obviously on Ehu? 🍻

postiepaula

Free Member
May 27, 2013
Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
5 years
We have had a 15 in 1 Ninja foodi for a couple of months now, big ol beast but can cook almost anything. Had our van just over a year and the oven is still brand new..not used it at all.
I can second the ninja 15 in one. I brought one recently and and now thinking of get the smaller version for the motor home. They are amazing.

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
We use an original Double Skillet. The only issue is that you can't do wet stuff in it. At least you can't do wet stuff in it and turn it without some leaking out. Surprisingly effective.

We have still use a double skillet bought 40 years ago only replaced the handles and with a good non stick coating Roast Chicken no problem

Monkeynuts2215

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 6, 2020
Ashford Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 600
Exp
We’ve had to let go of the ideal MH we wanted to buy due to the price increases. We’re looking at a second hand one that has a small kitchen area with gas hob and a grill only, no grill/oven combi. Can you cook things in a grill that say oven only? We tend to get takeaway/eat out or stir fry and will get a portbale Gas BBQ/or outdoor hot plate so would the lack of an oven for winter touring be bad? Also we thought the electric hot plate in some helps if you’re always on EHU, which we would always tend to be needing a Cpap machine overnight. So would buying a portable electric hot plate be useful for hot drinks etc?
Hi would it not be useful to buy a Ninja cooker that grills roast etc , as you are always on EHU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back