LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thinking ahead, when traveling abroad do you normally take out travel insurance, if so what kind and what kind of price to expect, and is it best to take out a full 12 months if intending to be abroad for a few months, just pondering.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Hi Carol ,
We have personal insurance to include abroad annually which includes skiing, golf etc
The insurance for the m/h including abroad is with Caravanguard to gets us and the m/h back home included ... I believe you have to check that it covers the age of the m/h and Green flag via the bank

Cant recall what we pay sorry

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The 12month multitrip is usually the best deal, we have the worldwide one and it's not very expensive though I can't remember how much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We normally take out a 12 month multitrip cost approx £75.00 just check the detail as some have limited number of days per trip. Our trips are usually up to 120 days so you need to shop around. Can't remember who we used last time as we did'nt do it this year because we did an overland m/bike trip to China so had a different type of insurance. Be carefull with the free travel insurance from banks and credit cards from experience it's not worth much:cry:

moneysupermarket or gocompare is a good place to start.:thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Hi Carol ,
We have personal insurance to include abroad annually which includes skiing, golf etc
The insurance for the m/h including abroad is with Caravanguard to gets us and the m/h back home included ... I believe you have to check that it covers the age of the m/h and Green flag via the bank

Cant recall what we pay sorry

Just checked on the personal travel insurance

Broken Link Removed
Platinum....Annual Multi Trip ..... Europe.... £73.72

Kath

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We don't bother as when you read the small print you must declare any existing conditions. As I have high BP (treated) they could blame this for almost anything except broken bones (which would be covered anyway in the EU) Too handy a "getout" for my liking. :Angry:

S

stagman

Deleted User
Thinking ahead, when traveling abroad do you normally take out travel insurance, if so what kind and what kind of price to expect, and is it best to take out a full 12 months if intending to be abroad for a few months, just pondering.

Remember to take your EHIC card , and keep it on you at all times .Broken Link Removed

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Annual policy usually the cheapest however most only cover 90 days max on any trip.

Also if you have any pre existing medical probs they will not normally be covered unless you declare them & pay extra up front.

We are away for upto 150 days and insure with InsureandGo. Budget policy to cover medical mostly. Costs £114 for both of us. Will not cover pre-existing probs so my wife's asthma would not be covered if she had any problem related to that. That means most breathing issues they wont cover!!!:Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have the EHIC card,free travel insurance with Nationwide and medical insurance with ADAC as part of there breakdown cover. Belt and braces again.::bigsmile:. Will leave them all fighting as to who foots the bill:Cool:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We don't bother as when you read the small print you must declare any existing conditions. As I have high BP (treated) they could blame this for almost anything except broken bones (which would be covered anyway in the EU) Too handy a "getout" for my liking. :Angry:

That's fine, but what about if you are injured/in an accident ... the cost of repatriation for you, especially if you had to have a special trip organised, would be horrendous ....

We currently take out single trip policies as/when we need them - we use the same company each time as it is the ONLY one that covers vet expenses and we have now had to use that on 2 occasions to get our money back when Romy badly broke her dew claw and Lily was very poorly after tick bites, it has a maximum of £300 and no excess for pets either! We use Primary insurance.

We do the quote via the Money Saving Expert website as you get a better price going

Link Removed

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
It's OK for you lot your clearly a lot younger than we are.:cry:

We both are over 70 and both have high B P (under control with medication) & Jean has Diabetes type 2, so almost impossible to get cover that would pay out on anything other than an accident,

So are we better just relying on the EHIC card for basic cover. We also have ADAC cover which repatriates us if I as the driver is unable to drive home. What do other over 70's do?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been totally irresponsible on this all my life. I have never taken travel insurance or ehic card. Thanks for the link though I have just ordered my EHIC card this time. Can't hurt as it's free and took me less than a minute to complete online.

Still not bothering with travel insurance though...

littlehouse

Free Member
Jan 25, 2011
Decize France
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Driver 52
Exp
health insurance

be aware that if you are using ehic card it is only of use in public hospitals make sure the ambulance or taxi takes you to these and not to private clinic or hospital as you will be charged fot the service

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
40 + years of European travel and never had travel insurance.

The EHIC card works fine.. used it many times in both Spain and France.. and if the worst happened I'd rather stay in a French hospital than be repatriated to an NHS one ..

but, wouldn't travel without full breakdown and recover insurance.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Just got a quote for the time we are away - 144 days in a single trip - two adults in 60's for £130.00 - not looked at terms & conditions yet though.

Nigel and Pam

Just tried to see if this link works and they say they are experiencing problems, funny, just came off the website.??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We do the quote via the Money Saving Expert website as you get a better price going

Link Removed

Apologies, we do the quote via www.moneysupermarket.com ... not MSE! :Doh:

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you for all the replies, I have now got a quote via Martins money tips for £87, now have a better idea which way to go, in the past we have always had travel insurance but was wondering what is the general thought . Thanks for the reminder about the EHIC as well, just been on line to to that, had to watch though as some sites charge but the NHS is free.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
That is what we do

I have the EHIC card,free travel insurance with Nationwide and medical insurance with ADAC as part of there breakdown cover. Belt and braces again.::bigsmile:. Will leave them all fighting as to who foots the bill:Cool:

That is what we do... our EHIC cards and a subscription to the German ADAC .. not only extra breakdown, but the medical cover.. ADAC even own a air Ambulance and 17 helicopters.. 17 million members and it is also valid in the UK .. a UK 0800 number for under £100.. you could not do better.

Check it out from past links on MHF... when you take it out you call Germany, but as soon as you ask for an English speaking operator you are talking to someone who understands you.. none of this India crap... it has a lot of benefits .. but it is the medical side that sells it, and you can cover a partner as well. So cheap breakdown and cheap medical cover.

Bob:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thanks to Carol for asking the question, and thanks to Dave and Bob for their replies re EH1C and ADAC.
We are up to date with our EH1C, but will change from Britannia Rescue to ADAC when up for renewal in February.

Regards,

Jock & Rita.

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
EHIC are free dont pay

Be aware there are plenty of official looking EHIC websites around who charge £14.99 per application to renew your expired EHIC online.

Here is an example :Angry: :
Link Removed

But the guys are MoneySavingExperts have a good article on it:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/free-ehic-card

Renew or apply for your EHIC card free here at this official:
Link Removed

:RollEyes:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
ADAC, forget the rest - get the best (and cheapest by far...)

:thumb:

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
ADAC, forget the rest - get the best (and cheapest by far...)

:thumb:

Could not believe it when I turned Laptop on, I had done it to get my various Insurances sorted out, and this thread had popped back up from October (very weird) but lucky.

Been looking around as we need up to 120 days, and Ed is 70
Up to now the best quote for our needs is with Insure and go where we could be away for 12 months, coming up at £135.00.

Have tried to find ADAC but can't find it on goggle, am I not looking for the right thing.

Thanks for the links, my fingers are working overtime.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
.....cheaper than totally free is a good deal :roflmto:

Ehic yes, got that anyway, cover for treatment abroad - with Adac as well everything's covered - as mentioned above, belt & braces :thumb:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Could not believe it when I turned Laptop on, I had done it to get my various Insurances sorted out, and this thread had popped back up from October (very weird) but lucky.

Been looking around as we need up to 120 days, and Ed is 70
Up to now the best quote for our needs is with Insure and go where we could be away for 12 months, coming up at £135.00.

Have tried to find ADAC but can't find it on goggle, am I not looking for the right thing.

Thanks for the links, my fingers are working overtime.

Have another go with google, I just got it up no probs., or type in www.adac.de :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back