LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, Steph having problems with the mouse on her pooter due to arthritis in her thumbs.
So, thinking of getting her a tablet as the "swipe" screen would be easier for her to use.
She would need internet access and to be able to plug a usb external drive into it and use the files/programs installed on it.
Any recommendations please? :Smile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Lynda may have some good tablets going spare very shortly Steph is welcome to them

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Is it a lap top Steph uses, if so why not have a go with the pad that just uses the tip of your finger, I have never used a mouse and use the pad just as quickly as the mouse is used.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Hi Ken and Stef

Julia got herself an iPad2 and she absolutely loves it ,ourLaptop is virtually obsolete now and am toying with the idea of getting a iPad myself.
Alan

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Like me Steph hates the touchpadso n lappies also her hands have always been a bit "shaky" I think it is the exitement of being married to me. She can't believe her good fortune. :thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Yes love the ipad2 also but flash is limited on it...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi, Steph having problems with the mouse on her pooter due to arthritis in her thumbs.
So, thinking of getting her a tablet as the "swipe" screen would be easier for her to use.
She would need internet access and to be able to plug a usb external drive into it and use the files/programs installed on it.
Any recommendations please? :Smile:

Several aspects to this.

Internet access should not be a problem as all tablets are designed to offer it (either through WiFi or 3G).

Running software/accessing files on an external hard drive might be a problem though because of OS incompatibility. Most tablets (apart from iPad) run on the Android OS which might not have an app capable of processing files created under Windows and is most unlikely to be able to run Windows software. Software normally has to be installed on the main disk within the device as well, rather than on an external drive.

I've never been a fan of trackpads so have always used a mobile mouse (with retractable cable) with the various laptops/netbooks I've owned. I've found, though, with the Asus netbook I bought a few weeks ago that the trackpad is much more responsive and I can use it comfortably with two index fingers (one for the tracking of the pointer and the other on the buttons).

On that basis a netbook with a responsive trackpad, running under Windows, might be a practical answer. Plenty to try out at Comet & PC World at Teesside Park. If you do go for an Android tablet, Jill is highly satisfied with her Link Removed. A case with built in keyboard is available for that tablet as well.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks to all for the replies. If they won't run windows programs then it would seem not for her. :cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Like me Steph hates the touchpadso n lappies also her hands have always been a bit "shaky" I[HI] think it is the exitement of being married to me[/HI]. She can't believe her good fortune. :thumb:

Totally off topic, but what's the weather like on Fantasy Island this time of year?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you try a trackball don't get one where you use your thumb on the ball as that will be worse than the mouse. You need one where the ball can be operated with the finger such as [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kensington-Orbit-Elite-Trackball-Corded/dp/B000NLHA22/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1318154765&sr=1-16[/ame]

Many others available:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Like me Steph hates the touchpadso n lappies also her hands have [HI]always been a bit "shaky"[/HI] I think it is the exitement of being married to me. She can't believe her good fortune. :thumb:

Used to be called the DTs:RollEyes:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Empty or with whisky in:Eeek::thumb:

I emptied them before I put them back he he. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the ideas folks either the HP or the Dell look good we shall see when the chancellor of the exchequer (4cups) decides to spend some of my money.:RollEyes:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
If you try a trackball don't get one where you use your thumb on the ball as that will be worse than the mouse. You need one where the ball can be operated with the finger such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NLHA22/?tag=mhf04-21

Many others available:Smile:

These are very good, I assist at our local U3A and a number of people have trouble controlling mice. This one is very good as you can use the palm of the hand for movement rather than any joints, much better than the side roller ball for those who get severe pain in joints.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Try to avoid getting religious... ie apple, windows or android. Does the damn thing do what you want it to do.

Screen, resistive vs capacitive. 2 year ago this would have been a biggy. If it is a top tier manufacturer ignore it. If not capacitive is definitely the way to go. I have had a nokia N900 which is resistive and an apple iPod touch which is capacitive. There is not a lot in it from touch point of view but the apple is slightly better due to its interface.

USB, Flash. As I understand it and I am sure there will be some Jobsian flames coming my way on this one. The iPad doesn't do either. If you need to transfer data via USB forget the iPad.

Serious Use. If you are after something that you can create on rather than just consume? Then you need to look at something that combines the best of Windows/IOS/Android without too many restrictions.

I am looking at getting an Asus Transformer. It is a tablet puter, but has a normal laptop style keyboard docking port that gives a big boost to battery lifespan. It lasts longer than either a netbook or tablet. It has USB ports and a full keyboard but can be used as a proper tablet. Within a few months it will be running on the ice cream sandwich thingy.

There is no perfect solution as far as I can see but the iPad does seem to me to place too many restrictions before you even get started.

I am still tempted by the iPad due to the fact it does "The Times"....... But £500 just to get The Times seems a little OTT.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks for that excellent post Gromett, the Asus transformer runs android so I take it windows programs won't work?

Ian

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Some great response here thanks again.
I would want a Windows system so I can run all our software. :thumb:

Oh and the only "I" I do is the I-ron I bought Steph the other I's are overpriced and overhyped IMHO.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back