Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Are there any other owners of this model on the forum? We bought our 2001 model when it was eighteen months old from chelston in Taunton and have enjoyed every moment of our time with it. We didnt go out the day we bought it with any intention of changing from the twin axle caravan we owned at that time. We actually went with friends who were changing over their Bessacarr for a newer model. After mooching around the lines of M/Hs while our friends did their deal a salesman collared us and offered us more than we paid for the caravan to do a swap. It took less than an hour to commit ourselves to ten long years of pennypinching but havent regretted it for a moment. Being the rear bathroom model and only having beds for the two of us suits us fine. It gives us loads of room for relaxing in the evenings and lots of room up front for all my boys toys, Sat tv for me (football etc via headphones) freeview for her (soaps etc) I get to hog the large rear tall outside cupboard for all my fishing rods & metal detectors that go everywhere with me.
We still only have around 16,000 miles on the clock even though we have done trips to Spain once, Denmark once, Germany & France twice and also a month around Ireland this last summer. We keep the mileage down by ferreting around in our A framed Vauxhall Agila whilst on sites. It gets us places where the M/H would never go and at a lot more miles to the gallon. The Bessacarr has never ( touch wood) given us an ounce of trouble other than minor things , screws coming loose etc which I make a point of fixing as they happen. We have fitted Sat tv, Solar panel, refillable gas bottles, roof box and ladder and reversing camera oh and a Nature pure water filter which I consider my most worthwhile purchased extra. We also invested in a Fiamma zip awning which gets used when we are onsite longer than a few days. I look around at other M/Hs for sale at shows and quite honestly havent seen anything that remotely compares with our wonderful Bessie so it looks like we are in for the long haul and to be sure we get our moneys worth ::bigsmile:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Tony,

I totally agree with your posting, I have an E795, and have had no major problems. Bought it from a great Dealer down South, and have warranty and servicing done by a Swift Dealer in the Midlands who does not sell Bessies, but is happy to have my business. The van is 18 months old and I am well pleased with this British built product.

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Our Bessie (an E695) is coming up to her 10th birthday, the last two years with us. We've had absolutely no trouble with the Bessacarr side of things, and only a few bits of bother with the Fiat/Alko underpinings, probably due to the fact that she lay forelorn for almost a year before we bought her.

Looking back at the service history, it seems the first owner really went to town by covering more than 25,000 miles in the first year (the oddometer now reads just shy of 75,000). It seems she had to go back to the factory to have the overcab pod resealed right at the beginning, but since then the only records of repairs/replacement cover obvious things like cam belts, brakes, tyres and a pair of rear shockers - no doubt due to the fact that owner #2 used it to tow a car.

Couldn't agree more with you, Tony, about not being able to find anything to take her place. The layout is absolutely perfect for us, everything still works, the soft furnishings still look good, the cabinetwork is spot on, and the general 'feel' is great.

We also hope to hang on to her for many years to come.

Mike and Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tony Hunt

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Good to hear that guys. We take care of our furnishings in case we should ever sell the van, wife made up some loose covers cos I'm so messy (she says) I would probably spill brown sauce or something all over the originals. when we take those off for washing the van looks like a new one. I steam clean the outside and underneath probably three times a year and polish her maybe once a year just to get all the nasty marks off.
I made a point this year of renewing the cambelt even though the van had only done 15,000 miles, I am still running on the original tyres though am keeping a beady eye on them incase of unseen nasties. I wonder sometimes wether the Leisure batteries and also the main van battery may shortly give up the ghost but have never touch wood had an ounce of trouble with any of them. I guess the old saying when its not broke leave things alone comes into play. When Im not on the road the van is always permanenty plugged into the mains so that the charging system keeps everything tickety boo. I have spent quite a bit of money on extras since Ive had it like cruise control, Engine chip up, cat 1 alarm and all the other toys I mentioned earlier. Its all combined to make a brilliant home from home on wheels and the sooner I can get more retired the better so we can enjoy it more. ::bigsmile:

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Hi all,

my first post here.
Bought an E745 Bessie yesterday, my first motor home. a 2004 model. Anything I should look out for? 6500 on the clock

It's a 2.8JTD and seemed so much nicer to drive than an Arapaho we tested with it "back to back"

Pick it up in three weeks time... Yay! :Smile:

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Hi Stueysheep,

Welcome to motorhomefun. :welcome: Hope you enjoy many happy years of motorhoming. We have only owned our motorhome (Hobby 700) since April but we love it. We've already been to France (twice) and Germany (once )
Bet you can't wait for the next 3 weeks to vanish so you can pick Bessie up. We remember how excited we were!:yeah:

Enjoy it :thumb:
Angie and Keith

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Hi Stueysheep,

Welcome to motorhomefun. :welcome: Hope you enjoy many happy years of motorhoming. We have only owned our motorhome (Hobby 700) since April but we love it. We've already been to France (twice) and Germany (once )
Bet you can't wait for the next 3 weeks to vanish so you can pick Bessie up. We remember how excited we were!:yeah:

Enjoy it :thumb:
Angie and Keith

Wow, that far already. A bit nervous of going abroad.... :Sad: Especially the ferry. Which route did you take across the water. Is there any risk of grounding the low slung chassis getting off and on the boats? Will bite the bullet though as a round trip of Holland/Belgium/Luxemburg is my wife's ambition next year....

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Stueysheep & Bessie lovers.

We had one until last year, 2003 model, 2.8 Jtd, crossed the channel twice (each way) no bother. Wife Jean did worry about it but at the end of the day all OK. Just look at the overhang some of the trucks have & they are close to the ground. We also had an RV with a much longer overhang, & a toad, & once more wife Jean was worried, but once again no problems.
Lots of us do it every year so don't let it put you off having a great time. :thumb:

Keith

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Cool, thanks Keith, better book up then! Hook of Holland from Felixstowe will be the first over-water trip then...

Will do some Uk practice first over the winter though:Smile:

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Hi again,
Don't be nervous about going abroad, there really is no need to worry. It's so easy and straight forward.Just take your time as you're getting on and off the boat and you won't have a problem with grounding the chassis.Totally agree with Keith, look at all the lorries and coaches using the ferries, they don't have any problems.
We've used the Dover/Calais route each time so far so can't comment on any other but Go For It!! and you really won't look back.It's so motorhome friendly over there :thumb:
Angie and Keith

We've just booked 2 more Ferry crossings tonight, one for a 2 weeks holiday in Spring and also one for our summer holiday for 3 weeks !! :yeah::clap: so that shows how addictive it is once you've done it.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Keiths

Yet another Keith :thumb:

How many of us are there on this list? :Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all,

my first post here.
Bought an E745 Bessie yesterday, my first motor home. a 2004 model. Anything I should look out for? 6500 on the clock

It's a 2.8JTD and seemed so much nicer to drive than an Arapaho we tested with it "back to back"

Pick it up in three weeks time... Yay! :Smile:

it'll be the longest 3 weeks of your life.:thumb:
could never understand why it takes 3 weeks to MOT, service and wash a van.
i could get all this done in one day (and i'm sure they do)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
worth the wait though.:thumb::thumb:

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Three weeks to go

Attachments

• bessi2.jpg
    bessi2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 75
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
it'll be the longest 3 weeks of your life.:thumb:
could never understand why it takes 3 weeks to MOT, service and wash a van.
i could get all this done in one day (and i'm sure they do)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
worth the wait though.:thumb::thumb:

Well, they say that they go though it top to bottom and end to end and list EVERY fault. Then they order the replacement bits which can take two weeks to arrive for odd items. Then they service, clean and wash it....

Guess you are right, could be quicker but gives me time to get REALLY excited...

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
YAY, tomorrow;s the day to pick up my bessie. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, they say that they go though it top to bottom and end to end and list EVERY fault. Then they order the replacement bits which can take two weeks to arrive for odd items. Then they service, clean and wash it....

Guess you are right, could be quicker but gives me time to get REALLY excited...

if i ran a motorhome sales business i'd have the van prepared, repaired,serviced, washed and ready to go except MOT before it saw the forcourt then the punter hasn't got time to get excited as all it needs is an MOT(couple of days wait) and tax(local post office)

oh! to live in a perfect world!!!!!!!!!!!!

john (in cloud cuckoo land):thumb:

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
YAY, picked her up yesterday, Fantastic fun to drive.... A bit of a long beastie to park in supermatket car parks, Takes up 4 spaces!!!!

Couple of issues.
The leisure battery which was demonstarted (with the hook up attached) actually has a blown fuse. Changed that this morning and found 3v on the battery. DOH. Could it be shot? Currently on charge and the volts are up to 9volts now and will power a light bulb!

Other issue I might ask some advice on once I re-check it out....:Eeek:

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
if i ran a motorhome sales business i'd have the van prepared, repaired,serviced, washed and ready to go except MOT before it saw the forcourt then the punter hasn't got time to get excited as all it needs is an MOT(couple of days wait) and tax(local post office)

oh! to live in a perfect world!!!!!!!!!!!!

john (in cloud cuckoo land):thumb:

I thought that but they said it's surprising how many "faults" get put on it in the weeks or so being available for viewing. Catches getting broken etc by people not being used to M/Hs etc...

PS, the other issue I had was stone chips on the chassis, I've started a new thread... :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Stueysheep;42634[COLOR="Red" said:
]I thought that but they said it's surprising how many "faults" get put on it in the weeks or so being available for viewing. Catches getting broken etc by people not being used to M/Hs etc... [/COLOR]PS, the other issue I had was stone chips on the chassis, I've started a new thread... :thumb:

yeh! never thought of that.:Doh:

M

mickeygumshields

Deleted User
:Smile: Hi this is my first posting on this site.I am about to take my E745 Bess over to belgium,france,and then to Spain for the first time in January.However I am a bit concerned about running out of gas.They are 11kg on this model and I wondered if it was easy enought to get the adapters for france and spain when i am over there.
This is our first winter trip and we will be testing her out.If there is anyone who has any tips on winter touring i would be obliged.:winky: Yours Mickey and Caz

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Mickey and Caz
Sorry I can't answer this but just wanted to say welcome to the forum and hopefully bump the post back up so that someone who can answer it will do so ::bigsmile:

Keith

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Mickey and Caz, Morning Keith.
Not knowing how long your going for, restricts what would be the best answer, if short tour then you will finish up with a collection of French and Spanish bottles as well as suitable regulators to use them, if going for any length of time then an under slung tank or re fillable gas system may be a better option.
Another tip, for faster answers to your questions start a new post with suitable title IE "Help gas info wanted" rather than tagging it on the end of a long post, this will attract more people than just owners of this model motor home
I only read it to see what my mate Keith was up to:Doh:
And welcome to the site:thumb:
Geo

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi, Its very difficult if not impossible to answer your question as the amount of gas that you use will depend on a lot of variables, but to help:-

Will you use sites with electric hookup if you do then i would suggest that you use some form of electric heating, oil storage radiator is my first choice, but fan heaters raise the temperature a lot quicker, has you Bess got the electric heating built in if so that is probably better than the 2 suggestions above,

Have you go an electric ring on your cooker as that will help to save gas if you do cook on-board.

You ask about adaptors, I am not sure what you mean have you got a Gaslow refillable system fitted, as if you have I would suggest you purchase adaptors before you go, most accessory shops that sell the Gaslow systems/bottle sell them and i would take both types to be on the safe side

As a rule if you haven't got a refillable system fitted then you will have problems getting replacement bottles, normally you would need to purchase a bottle that is suitable for the country you are in and just to make matter worse to the best of my knowledge the French and Spanish use different bottles and regulators ? I have heard that in some areas of Spain there are places where they will refill UK bottles but I will let someone else update you if that is actually possible.

Back to the main question 2 - 11kg will they last, my guess and it is a guess i would say if you are very careful and use electric hook ups every night with electric heating then I would take a chance, assuming that you are only going to be away for 1 or possible 2 months, but it is only a guess ??

Hope that helps

:Smile: Hi this is my first posting on this site.I am about to take my E745 Bess over to belgium,france,and then to Spain for the first time in January.However I am a bit concerned about running out of gas.They are 11kg on this model and I wondered if it was easy enought to get the adapters for france and spain when i am over there.
This is our first winter trip and we will be testing her out.If there is anyone who has any tips on winter touring i would be obliged.:winky: Yours Mickey and Caz

Last edited:
S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
just checked my Bessie, there's opnly two 6kg bottles, looks like I will need to upgrade. Is it expensive?

OP
OP
Tony Hunt

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
When we went to Spain in our Bessacarr with 2 x 11kg bottles we made those two bottles last around three weeks for just cooking and I think the fridge for a couple of nights whilst travelling because we didnt stay on a campsite. What we did to get us over the last week and home again was purchased a spanish bottle and regulator from a supermarket and brought it home with us and finished using ity up on our BBQ at home. I then sold the bottle and reg to somebody going back to spain last summer.
All the time we were parked on the site in Benidorm we used the site electrics for everything other than cooking.
We have now fitted a couple of gaslow refillable
bottles just for convenience really. Spain is the only country where there arent many stations that refill these but having had a month in spain I doubt we will be going back there in a hurry other than if we want winter sun. We intend to travel france, germany and this country more in the future and refill gas is plentiful in all these.

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
what does a refillable bottle look like? Is it special and how much are they please?

Sep 1, 2007
Guildford
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2004
Bessacarr

Are there any other owners of this model on the forum? We bought our 2001 model when it was eighteen months old from chelston in Taunton and have enjoyed every moment of our time with it. We didnt go out the day we bought it with any intention of changing from the twin axle caravan we owned at that time. We actually went with friends who were changing over their Bessacarr for a newer model. After mooching around the lines of M/Hs while our friends did their deal a salesman collared us and offered us more than we paid for the caravan to do a swap. It took less than an hour to commit ourselves to ten long years of pennypinching but havent regretted it for a moment. Being the rear bathroom model and only having beds for the two of us suits us fine. It gives us loads of room for relaxing in the evenings and lots of room up front for all my boys toys, Sat tv for me (football etc via headphones) freeview for her (soaps etc) I get to hog the large rear tall outside cupboard for all my fishing rods & metal detectors that go everywhere with me.
We still only have around 16,000 miles on the clock even though we have done trips to Spain once, Denmark once, Germany & France twice and also a month around Ireland this last summer. We keep the mileage down by ferreting around in our A framed Vauxhall Agila whilst on sites. It gets us places where the M/H would never go and at a lot more miles to the gallon. The Bessacarr has never ( touch wood) given us an ounce of trouble other than minor things , screws coming loose etc which I make a point of fixing as they happen. We have fitted Sat tv, Solar panel, refillable gas bottles, roof box and ladder and reversing camera oh and a Nature pure water filter which I consider my most worthwhile purchased extra. We also invested in a Fiamma zip awning which gets used when we are onsite longer than a few days. I look around at other M/Hs for sale at shows and quite honestly havent seen anything that remotely compares with our wonderful Bessie so it looks like we are in for the long haul and to be sure we get our moneys worth ::bigsmile:

We like you, love our Bessie 795 year 2000 had it about four years my wife always says she has not seen anything better that suites our needs, only trouble i have had was the dreaded 5th gear problem which i believe is due to under use before we bought her once we sorted that the gear box was like new (This was Fiat problem although they wont admit it) we have spent time in Spain, Portugal,Italy,Slovinia and France. We toe a trailer with our bikes, sailing dinghy ( a Tinker) and the trusty Vespa 125. we like you are in for the long hall with this van as it suites are need and all the extras we have makes sense to put it to full use
Happy travels:thumb:

OP
OP
Tony Hunt

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Hi Lawrence. The real reason that 5th gear is a problem on some Fiats is because unlike the commercial white van versions M/Home variants are usually on the limit weightwise all the time and people dont drive them properly making full use of the gearbox on hills etc. I have a friend who insists on staying in 5th gear till the last possible moment on every hill he climbs because hes under the impression that if hes in 5th gear hes saving fuel, hes not actually but try telling him that and the many others who drive like him. Drivers who drive vans and lorries for a living know how to use their gearboxes properly resulting in less problems. The boss of our local Fiat commercial van, M/Home service centre told me that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back