Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Many people dream about "full timing" and it would seem that more and more people are finding the courage to jump from a house to a motorhome to live a life on the road.

Many full timers are retired, but plenty of others work part time, earning just enough for diesel and food, and then they are off again.
A large number of "professionals" live in a motorhome, especially when travel is a part of the job. More and more may be forced into a motorhome as some may consider it a far better and cheaper alternative to many housing projects.

There are lots of advantages, no house to maintain, housework is easier and very quick to accomplish. there are no lawns to mow, or council tax to pay, you do not have to endure neighbours you dislike and the scenery is as beautiful as you want it, you can follow the sun or the snow as you feel. But of course there are downsides as well, coming off the home ownership ladder may cost you, and your motorhome will depreciate every day and will need replacing eventually, you might find you have insurance problems and other things that relate to not having a fixed abode. There are pages of pros and cons but these really are tied to your personal circumstances and your outlook on life.

So to the poll, would you/do you like to live full time, travelling as you like or working from your motorhome? Please vote and then post and tell us why.

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

I have no problem with people who chose to Full Time but having tried a similar thing on a narrowboat, the downsides in my opinion far out way the upsides,

The space is generally a lot smaller than a house/flat 24/7 with the same person in a relatievly small area can be a strain even though you may love them ?

As for no council tax, i think that is an open question as if you use sites surely you must be paying something towards the councils finances within your site fee's ?

and its nice to have somewhere to call home,,

Brian

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Full Timing

We came into full timing because Mo had an accident which required us to buy a bungalow - and we couldn't afford a bungalow in the area where we wanted to live.

We are ex Services - so moving about is probably in our blood anyway - and fancied the idea of being foot-loose and fancy free.

I worked jolly hard for my Services Pension and I was fed up with paying high taxes for everything whilst watching 'others' getting everything for nothing - so Mo and I decided that we would take charge of our own lives and pay service to nobody!

And that is how it has worked out - we do as we want, when we want and how we want - and if somebody tells us that we can't - then we move on and do it somewhere else- to hell with Authority - in general, we answer to no-one. :thumb:

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
We currently have our house up for sale, and want to move back to Scotland. Our plan is to live in our van while searching for a new property, and it will give us a feel for full timing. We feel we would always like to own a property, even if it was rented out, as it would then be Insurance should we ever need to have a fixed abode due to ill health or driving restrictions.
With the property market so subject to change in this country, I believe if you dropped out of owning, it could be hard to purchase again later to a similar standard of property as now.

David

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
In the poll you should have had an option to keep your home for the future.

Plus maybe having to sell your home to purchase your motorhome?

Or those taking X amount of time to see the world.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I voted that we full time now and love it. It's slightly different for us as we sold up and bought a static caravan and a motorhome. The intention was to spend a couple of weeks at the static then go on the road till the fancy took us to return to the static for a while. Not quite living the dream yet as Steph's dad died and we now care for her mum full time. Would we go back to a house? :Eeek: Not even if we won the lottery!!! ::bigsmile: We are on a great little site with a smashing landlord not at all greedy and genuinely cares for our well being. No vandals, no troublemakers and a beatiful place to live. ::bigsmile:

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

That sounds a bit like "normal living" Sorry I don't like using that statement as what ever you do is normal living, only you have changed the Bricks and Mortar to a caravan, we probably do a similar thing to you we just go away in the motorhome and return when we fancy it, only we return to a bungalow rather than a caravan ? and i voted the 4the option.

I voted that we full time now and love it. It's slightly different for us as we sold up and bought a static caravan and a motorhome. The intention was to spend a couple of weeks at the static then go on the road till the fancy took us to return to the static for a while. Not quite living the dream yet as Steph's dad died and we now care for her mum full time. Would we go back to a house? :Eeek: Not even if we won the lottery!!! ::bigsmile: We are on a great little site with a smashing landlord not at all greedy and genuinely cares for our well being. No vandals, no troublemakers and a beatiful place to live. ::bigsmile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi,

That sounds a bit like "normal living" Sorry I don't like using that statement as what ever you do is normal living, only you have changed the Bricks and Mortar to a caravan, we probably do a similar thing to you we just go away in the motorhome and return when we fancy it, only we return to a bungalow rather than a caravan ? and i voted the 4the option.

It could appear that way, but if you ever "live" in a static you would find it completely different to living in a house. It's much more related to life in an RV with all the same pros and cons. :Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I like chalet style homes and seen some beauties.:thumb:

I am in fact moving into Ken's when he's away:winky::roflmto::roflmto:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry John I'm afraid you couldn't bring the dogs, not allowed it's about the only rule he has. Plus I take the whisky with me. ::bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Sorry John I'm afraid you couldn't bring the dogs, not allowed it's about the only rule he has. Plus I take the whisky with me. ::bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

There only little:winky:bet i could sneak em in:winky::roflmto::ROFLMAO:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We voted that we will fulltime in the future. There wasn't a category to cover our own situation, whereby we have fulltimed in the past and loved it and will be fulltiming again in the future.

We fulltimed for over 6 years back in the '80's with two small children. We taught them whilst travelling and it was only their education that made us decide to stop travelling while they finished it.

We loved it so much and have decided, without hesitation, to do it again. It will be different this time as we will be retired and won't have the responsibility of the children.

Previously we travelled with a 30' coach which we converted. The children had a bedroom at the back all to themselves and every night we had to make up our bed. This time the only major condition was that we have a permanent made-up bed.

Also this time we will not sell our house. It is rented out at the moment, as we run our business from another property that we rent as it was not possible to do it from the house we own. We live around the American airbases and rent to American servicemen. The rentals are excellent and we do not have a lot of problems that others experience as the airbase will not tolerate anything unsociable from the servicemen, any problems that arise you just get in touch with the base and it's sorted. The rent is effectively paid for by the Airforce, if the tennant defaults on this, it is treated as fraud and severely dealt with should that happen. Our rent is paid by direct debit and over the 7 years we have rented we have never had any problems.

Whilst we are away our daughter will manage the property for us as she does now, we are invoiced from her for this service, it's not done for free, these and any others costs are used against the income for tax purposes.

We could waffle on for ages on this subject (on our own experiences of course, we appreciate everyone is different).

We wish you all a Merry Christmas and hopefully in the New Year we will hear if we have sold our business and then we can join you all on some of your meets and of course spend more time involved with this forum. Please wish us luck.

:Smile: Nigel and Pamala :Smile:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
The Settlers and the Nomads

For 80,000 bucks
You can buy a Foothills square,
A lot to call your own,
And you can settle there.

Build yourself a castle
Or just a modest shed;
Live in solid comfort
Until you are dead.

But look! Out in the desert!
Those nomads ranging free
Paid only fifteen bucks
For a state land permit fee.

There's no right or wrong here,
Each finds his proper groove.
The settler wants to settle;
The nomad wants to move.

I've made my choice--I swear
So long as I have gonads,
I'll pay the 15 bucks,
And live among the nomads.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This thread is two years old. But could we continue the votes. Thanks:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think we need a new poll Jim, a lot of water under the bridge in two years, and you can't change your last choice, also need another option>>>

I WAS a fulltimer but packed it in ..

jim

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Or even

"I was a fulltimer, I packed in it it and wish I hadn't and will return" ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I couldn't fulltime but like the idea of getting outta this country and living a less opressive life....

Is there anywhere left like that in the world?:RollEyes:

Maybe the poll should be be re submitted?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Yes 2 years ago things were different.

We have since moved into a park home (BIG caravan) and as Ken said it is like living in a large RV, (40ft by 20ft) it just doesn't move.

We no longer need a house & this gave us the opportunity to sell & get more capital to use for travelling. It has no garden to maintain, pay the lowest council tax but have a permanent address to keep the authorities happy. The cost of our 'site' works out at £5.48 a day plus electric, so not a big difference to living on a CL.

Living as we do on a camp site is almost the same as being a full timer as different caravans & MH come & go. We chose this area as we love it, S W Scotland) even though it may not be very warm at the moment (we are in Spain) & it is looked after for us by the owners.

We only live at 'home' 6 months of the year so ours is a halfway house between full timing & 'normal' living. There are advantages to having a base to return to in the event of any problem with health or a change in personal circumstances.

Therefore in conclusion Jim, I think there are other ways you can feel like a full timer so maybe a change is needed in the range of questions asked.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes 2 years ago things were different.

We have since moved into a park home (BIG caravan) and as Ken said it is like living in a large RV, (40ft by 20ft) it just doesn't move.
Therefore in conclusion Jim, I think there are other ways you can feel like a full timer so maybe a change is needed in the range of questions asked.

That sounds an excellent compromise.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Jim Lad, I'm fairly new here (and loving it!) so I don't want to express an opinion based on ignorance!!

However, it would be interesting to see the state of the poll if it's been running over two years, and whether you've noticed any shift in the voting patterns?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Jim Lad, I'm fairly new here (and loving it!) so I don't want to express an opinion based on ignorance!!

However, it would be interesting to see the state of the poll if it's been running over two years, and whether you've noticed any shift in the voting patterns?

Look

^
|
|
|
|
|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread