buy from a dealer or private sale. (1 Viewer)

ann01

Free Member
Oct 6, 2011
cumbria
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, my first post. I am looking to buy CI carioca 694 probably second hand. Handing over a large sum of money to a stranger seems a little bit spooky, what are the pit falls of buying from a private sale, and do you think a carioca would be a good buy for a complete novice.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Swings and round abouts really..

You may get a good deal privatley... but there again a dealer will normally offer some warranty..

And if he didn`t and I was handing over a lot of my hard earnt cash then I would go else where..

Privatley unless there is the remainder of manufacturers warranty.... Take some one who does no the in`s & out`s of a motorhome... and give it a thorough going over and see every thing working...

And do the usual checks HPI, see the original sales invoice to see if HP was taken out or a loan secured on the vehicle..

And knock them down a few quid.. :winky:

Good luck.. :thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Handing over a large sum of money to a stranger seems a little bit spooky

Preferable to knocking them on the head with a brick and running off with it.

Many dealers seem to be crooks at heart, on the whole most people aren't. Anyone with a well cared for MH they've owned a while is likely to be totally decent folk.

You've just got to be vigilant and sensible.

Any motorhome is OK for a novice, it's not rocket science running one. You should see some of the people in here that manage it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I bought mine privately and am now selling it privately. it is a far better way to cut out the middle man and get better deals.
It has its pitfalls, you need to know what your looking for in terms of damp etc. CI's are a good van and our first was a CI. but do check around locker doors for damp as they can be prone to it.
I suggested on another thread that if you find one you like, why not find a service engineer vie the NCEA to do an inspection prior to buying and then an AA check as well?

you would pprobably cover yourself more than if you bought from a dealer, some are just rank.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Ann, I think Brian means ME...:ROFLMAO:

I bought mine through a dealer as I really didn't/still don't have a clue about the technical aspects and no man to ask for advice..... I have to pay for everything I have done (unless a certain member is present at a meet)... so the security of a dealer was a bonus.

Are you a woman alone? If so, look forward to meeting you... there are a few of us now who keep in touch.

Joy

Upvote 0

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Like most problems, its worth breaking it down a bit. with motorhomes, it probably comes down to price,there is a big difference between paying ÂŁ2000 for an MH on ebay, and ÂŁ20000 for one advertised elsewhere.
One of the minor problems, is the matter of paying......bankers drafts are unreckognisable to most people, so are out......with a bank transfer, it delays the time of payment and collection...too much trust is needed, then there is cash.....yeah right, 20 or 30 grand in your back pocket going to collect an MH, would be "slightly" risky.

Although a good enough mechanical type, ive very little knowledge of MH's, and how to test for damp, look for rotten structure, test floors for strength etc etc....there is simply too much to do, so we went for a dealer.
With a 12 month warranty (not insurance backed) on vehicle and hab area, I reckon a dealer would be mad to sell a pup.
I acn see why people would want to sell private, and also buy private, but if you do, the benefits are offset by the increased risk i would have thought.

Sites like this, are a boon to new buyers, if they join a forum and see someone posting for 6-12 months or so, then they will feel more comfortable buying from them, I also think that if we supported dealers more, we could get better deals,......and cut out some of the criminals who operate in the "private" sales market.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
If you are the sort of person that feels confident and know your subject then buying private is cheaper and no different that buying from a dealer. If you want peace of mind and don't really know your subject that well then it is a lot of money so I would choose a dealer BUT be careful not all dealers are the same. Check out the dealership and haggle on the price and what extras you can get. If you aren't absolutely happy with the deal walk away there are loads of MH's out there and the right one will come along at the right price and on the right terms.
Happy hunting

:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Paul greenhurst

Free Member
Oct 3, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coach build
Exp
since 2005
Dealers

We have had 2 MH through the same dealer and in the prosess of our third, You get the peice of mind and the (3 year) warrenty some other dealers may differ.

But one little added bonues is you always get a free coffee and biscuit off them if they at any of the shows, which saves you a small fortune "Have you seen the price of drinks at the shows" :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ann01

Free Member
Oct 6, 2011
cumbria
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Ann, I think Brian means ME...:ROFLMAO:

I bought mine through a dealer as I really didn't/still don't have a clue about the technical aspects and no man to ask for advice..... I have to pay for everything I have done (unless a certain member is present at a meet)... so the security of a dealer was a bonus.

Are you a woman alone? If so, look forward to meeting you... there are a few of us now who keep in touch.

Joy

I also don't have a clue as to what goes on under the bonnet, but lucky for me I do have a man that can. lol.
I do have time off from work in the winter and would like to be brave enough to venture out on my own in the motorhome, have you ever?
I did go on a singles holiday last year to greece, it was really good fun. I would recommend it to anyone on their own.
Does this site have meetings up north at any time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ann01

Free Member
Oct 6, 2011
cumbria
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you are the sort of person that feels confident and know your subject then buying private is cheaper and no different that buying from a dealer. If you want peace of mind and don't really know your subject that well then it is a lot of money so I would choose a dealer BUT be careful not all dealers are the same. Check out the dealership and haggle on the price and what extras you can get. If you aren't absolutely happy with the deal walk away there are loads of MH's out there and the right one will come along at the right price and on the right terms.
Happy hunting

:thumb::thumb:

Thanks, that sounds like very sensible advice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

ann01

Free Member
Oct 6, 2011
cumbria
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have had 2 MH through the same dealer and in the prosess of our third, You get the peice of mind and the (3 year) warrenty some other dealers may differ.

But one little added bonues is you always get a free coffee and biscuit off them if they at any of the shows, which saves you a small fortune "Have you seen the price of drinks at the shows" :ROFLMAO:

I am thinking of going to the nec next week to have a look, might be worth it just for the tea and bicci's

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Ann we bought our from a private seller and saved loads just take your time and if there is anything that niggles at you then walk away. Also buy a damp meter you can get them from diy store or caravan store but the best damp meter is your nose if it smells at all then walk away.
As for meets with fun up north there are some if not a proper rally then just some of us getting together for a night or two. My wife Lorraine has driven our mh no problem as she works at school she take it away with our daughter when im working.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I am thinking of going to the nec next week to have a look, might be worth it just for the tea and bicci's

Basically new vans at the NEC but your welcome to chat to Mark or Lawrence on the Pilote or AutoTrail stands and pick their brains.

They will be wearing blue Johns Cross shirts:thumb:

Peter

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back