Another question for you knowledgeable people. (1 Viewer)

Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
since 2011 but years in a caravan
Another question for you knowledgeable people.
We think we have found the motor home we have been looking for, more on this later.
Now we have agreed a price we would like to get the AA or someone to check it over especially as I will have to drive it back and that’s a 3 1\2 hour drive back home.
We spent 5 hours on a hot day checking it out but although I drove it down the motorway and back and it droved along at 60 without missing a beat I’m no mechanic.
I have checked the AA website out and they will check out Motor homes up to 3500 but the one im looking at is 3800. http://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspections/index.html
Can you let me know if you have ever had one checked out and who you would recommend?
Many thanks
John

OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
I would ask the AA anyway, as the same vehicle could have been plated at 3500kg. Check with them and I wouldn't be surprised if they would do it.
Thanks nearlyretired, :thumb:have you used them, would you reccomend them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi John, it might help if we knew what van it is?
If it is a Ducato what age?

When I got mine, I was more interested in the habitation side of things. I therefore got CLS (a member on here) to go and do a habitation check to rule out any damp problems before I went ahead. He done a detailed inspection of the van including all gas appliances electrics etc. I don't know where you are purchasing the van from, but there are a few members whom carry out that sort of service around the country, or you could locate one through the MCEA http://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/.

As for the engine side, you say you have driven it and it drives well, any of the vans that motorhomes are built on are generally very reliable. Knowing what age would help us give you any advice for that year, but if the van has been well maintained, there's no reason that anything should be a problem. I am on my second Ducato and have replaced a wheel bearing on my last one which can be a common occurance when vans are stood. Personally, I would get it home, and if worried get it round to my local mechanic to give it the once over, even having had an inspection, there's always the unexpected that might crop up;.:thumb:

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Why not try asking your own garage mechanic? If it is only the engine/mechanical side you are concerned about, then this may be the answer.

If you are looking at an Laika, think about the base model. Mercs are usually best. Warranty, and lengthy one needs to be given, and look at the terms and conditions within the warranty. Some are good, some are a useless waste of time.

Check what the dealer is like, do any of his customers rate him? Will he be helpful with AFTER sales - some are fantastic, others won't want to talk to you again once they have your hard earned.

I would advise you approach a trusted mechanic, preferrably a commercial one, or one that has experience with the base model - and ask if they would check it out for a fee.

I dare say even stopping a local AA or RAC man and asking him to do it on the side, he would be willing! You never know until you ask.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
Hi John, it might help if we knew what van it is?
If it is a Ducato what age?

When I got mine, I was more interested in the habitation side of things. I therefore got CLS (a member on here) to go and do a habitation check to rule out any damp problems before I went ahead. He done a detailed inspection of the van including all gas appliances electrics etc. I don't know where you are purchasing the van from, but there are a few members whom carry out that sort of service around the country, or you could locate one through the MCEA http://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk/.

As for the engine side, you say you have driven it and it drives well, any of the vans that motorhomes are built on are generally very reliable. Knowing what age would help us give you any advice for that year, but if the van has been well maintained, there's no reason that anything should be a problem. I am on my second Ducato and have replaced a wheel bearing on my last one which can be a common occurance when vans are stood. Personally, I would get it home, and if worried get it round to my local mechanic to give it the once over, even having had an inspection, there's always the unexpected that might crop up;.:thumb:

A little more information about the motor home.

It’s a LAIKA ECOVIP 1.1 LOW PROFILE MOTORHOME WITH FIXED BED

FEATURES

First reg in 2002 so 10 years old next year but only done 17800 miles
Low-profile 3/4 berth vehicle with comfort and lots of space.
Powerful 2.8 JTD engine
Fiat/Alko chassis.
Large fixed bed at the rear
Washroom with separate Shower. Marine toilet with Cassette option.
Good road stability with wheelbase 4000m.
135 litre 3-way Fridge with separate Freezer and automatic power source selection.
Large Luggage compartment under rear double bed.
2 Wardrobes.
Roof rails and ladder.
Large Payload 843Kg.
Electric Step and Windows.
EXTRAS include:-
Strikeback T alarm.
Towbar.
Roof Mounted 80W Solar panel.
4m Omnistor awning.
Rear view and Reversing Camera.
Removable steering wheel.
4 Tyres all with less than 200 miles.
Cab deadlocks.
TV aerial.
Safe.
Reversing Driver and Passenger seats.
New Engine battery and Leisure Battery.
2 almost full Gas Bottles.
Van has done only 429 miles over past 2 years. and this checks out with the MOT.
Its winterised but I bought a damp meter and tested as best I could in all the normal places.

I think I will ask the AA if they can check the mechanics but did not know there are people you can get to go and check out the body I was going to get Dave Newell to do both a habitation and mechanical service but of course I would have bought it by then.
So thanks haganap I will check out the link and may well get the body checked out too.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
just a thought, do any of the other organisations to checks? RAC, Green flag, direct line?

or what about these?

teh only concern I would have initially is the low milage, no use is far worse than too much use,,,, is it private?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
John-Laika
Sep 10, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 309
Exp
just a thought, do any of the other organisations to checks? RAC, Green flag, direct line?

or what about these?

teh only concern I would have initially is the low milage, no use is far worse than too much use,,,, is it private?
Yes its private so buyer beware applies the owner is stopping motor homeing because its getting to difficult for him, I dont mind if I have to spend a little to get it right

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I used these Link Removed they arnt cheap, but do a propper job

Upvote 0

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
A little more information about the motor home.

It’s a LAIKA ECOVIP 1.1 LOW PROFILE MOTORHOME WITH FIXED BED

FEATURES

First reg in 2002 so 10 years old next year but only done 17800 miles
Low-profile 3/4 berth vehicle with comfort and lots of space.
Powerful 2.8 JTD engine
Fiat/Alko chassis.
Large fixed bed at the rear
Washroom with separate Shower. Marine toilet with Cassette option.
Good road stability with wheelbase 4000m.
135 litre 3-way Fridge with separate Freezer and automatic power source selection.
Large Luggage compartment under rear double bed.
2 Wardrobes.
Roof rails and ladder.
Large Payload 843Kg.
Electric Step and Windows.
EXTRAS include:-
Strikeback T alarm.
Towbar.
Roof Mounted 80W Solar panel.
4m Omnistor awning.
Rear view and Reversing Camera.
Removable steering wheel.
4 Tyres all with less than 200 miles.
Cab deadlocks.
TV aerial.
Safe.
Reversing Driver and Passenger seats.
New Engine battery and Leisure Battery.
2 almost full Gas Bottles.
Van has done only 429 miles over past 2 years. and this checks out with the MOT.
Its winterised but I bought a damp meter and tested as best I could in all the normal places.

I think I will ask the AA if they can check the mechanics but did not know there are people you can get to go and check out the body I was going to get Dave Newell to do both a habitation and mechanical service but of course I would have bought it by then.
So thanks haganap I will check out the link and may well get the body checked out too.

thats one hell-of long van :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
van looks good though :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back