Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Hi everyone. I am new to the site and as my heading states extremely confused. My partner and I are looking to buy our first motorhome. It will have to be preowned. We need space for two Bearded collies so do like the idea of a lounge at one end or the other so the dogs can be there whilst any cooking is going on. Obviously if the weather is good they can be outside but this has to be a consideration.

We have looked at a 05 plate Autoquest with rear lounge, 8000 miles £19,000. It is being sold through a car dealer. There is a door seal come loose and a little delaminating of cupboards which he as promised to fix. It will have 12 months warranty, mot, tax etc he has promised all hook ups, batteries etc but then you know car salesmen and as I am a woman they automatically think I believe everything! I have looked under the lounge seats for signs of damp and it feels firm to the touch. I have jumped on the floor as suggested and it does appear ok. Under the front wheel arches they are very clean and no rust. Looking down the body work it appears straight. Anything I should be aware of please?

We have also looked at a CI Cusona. Was a little put off by the grill rather than oven. The motorhome dealer said he would put us a proper cooker in. Liked the seperate shower, I am a little confused about the wet rooms in vans, do you have to dry everything down because surely to use the toilet all surfaces will be wet through? Wasnt over keen on the navy upholstery but really feel the layout will work.

There is a 2001 IH Savannah Gold for sale with 39,000 at £16,000 and our friends love there IH van and have been around Europe in it. We have also the chance of buying this van from my friends it is an IH Savannah 1999 with 68,000 miles at a good price. They havent discussed the price yet becuase I said we wouldnt buy till next year but said they wouldnt want anything near £16k for theirs. They are retiring from vanning. It has lots of extras and they have had it from 6 months old. I know this van will have no problems and will have everything to go. The owner would really rather sell it to someone he knows than get the best possible price.

Just to add to this we are in our forties and both still work so the van will be used for long weekends and holidays. My Partner is reluctant to buy an old van for the same price as a newer coachbuilt. What are your thoughts on fibreglass bodies as apposed to a van conversion?

I dont know whether we should buy our friends until we retire although I have a feeling it could be a little too small and then upgrade to something newer and then financially it wont depreciate as much.

There you go! Told you I was confused.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Just thought I'd say Hi & welcome from someone as equally confused!

You seem to be being offered far better value for money than I am in France though I'm off to see another tomorrow and have high hopes for it.

Take your time, is all I can offer--if I hadn't I'd have bought the 2nd one I was offered and can now see it would have been the wrong one.

There'll be loads of experienced folk on here to give you advice.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Chris
welcome to the site, just take your time getting the right one, it's cheaper in the long run. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
It is very confusing and difficult to get that all important choice right the first time. :Eeek:

Once you have been away and "lived" in a van you start to find out the things you want and need as opposed to the things you think you would like.

I would be tempted to buy your friend's van, you know the history and the condition, and it sounds as though the price would be very reasonable.
Should you wish to change van further down the line, you will most likely not suffer as a big a hit as if you had purchased from a dealer.

Take plenty of time, there's lots of van around, and whatever choice you go with I hope it is a good one for you..

Oh and by the way, welcome and have FUN.....:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to fun xxxx

I am a novice compared to many funsters but here goes

You said "We have looked at a 05 plate Autoquest with rear lounge, 8000 miles £19,000. It is being sold through a car dealer. There is a door seal come loose and a little delaminating of cupboards which he as promised to fix"

My reply - We have an old 1990 motorhome. none of the laminate is coming off - if the 2005 is starting to delaminate even if they fix it how long will it last and what about the areas they dont treat, will they start delaminating?

You said "We have also looked at a CI Cusona. Was a little put off by the grill rather than oven. The motorhome dealer said he would put us a proper cooker in. Liked the seperate shower, I am a little confused about the wet rooms in vans, do you have to dry everything down because surely to use the toilet all surfaces will be wet through? Wasnt over keen on the navy upholstery but really feel the layout will work."

My reply We have a "wet room" the sink is opposite the toilet and the shower literally hangs in the middle of the room. It is compact. We really tend to use the showers at the sites we stay at as opposed to the shower in the wet room. Remember showers use up lots of water and you will have to refill your water tank - how often would you use the shower? If you are staying on sites, use theirs as they are included in the price usually. If you are thinking of mainly wild camping well then the shower is more important. We have never used our shower xxxx

You said "There is a 2001 IH Savannah Gold for sale with 39,000 at £16,000 and our friends love there IH van and have been around Europe in it."

My reply If they really are your friends and you are genuinely interested in buying it. Ask them if you could try it out for a weekend. You would need to pay for the insurance (they can add you to theirs usually) or ask them to take you away overnight in it.

They could park it up for you and stay in a hotel at your expense nearby whilst you try it out.

If you really know your friends then there should be little problems. You need to check out - does the bed suit you and any wife/partner etc.

Is there enough room for the dogs? If it has an oven does it really hold a whole chicken - some DONT.

does the fridge or fridge freezer suit your needs.

Now our leader Jim has produced a book on buying a motorhome and a motorhome buyers check list - I am sure someone will put up a link - ss folks cant remember where it is

In a dealership - I know it sounds horrendous but we are currently looking to upgrade. I take with me a family size chicken to try in the oven. I make sure we both lie and roll around on the bed, and sit up (because these days on some models I bang my head) :ROFLMAO: some rear fixed beds have steps and poles to climb to get into them and with my arthritis they now dont get a look in.

If you have a dining table that changes into a bed, make sure you put it up and take it down.

There are always awnings that can be used for extra space for the dogs but obviously you need to consider high winds dependent on when you wish to travel.

You said "we are in our forties and both still work so the van will be used for long weekends and holidays. My Partner is reluctant to buy an old van for the same price as a newer coachbuilt. What are your thoughts on fibreglass bodies as apposed to a van conversion?"

My reply I am in my forties. I agree buying an older van is not necessarily ideal. certainly any manufacturer has no obligation to supply spares after any vehicle is 10 years old. You also need to look at whether or not the vehicle is LEZ complaint. Although the LEZ (low emission zone is currently in London it will spread to other counties and if the government have their way it will be uk wide).

Although our motorhome is over 20 years old we can still get most of the parts for it, some are far rarer than others. If you are looking to be serious motorhomers get a newer one, it will last you longer.

As for your comment on whether or not your friends one is a little small, remember from what you have posted there are only 2 adults. The awning can take the dogs in good weather, and in very bad weather you will just have to be a little more cosy xxxxxxxx

If you are like us - table and chairs outside, motorhome for cooking and sleeping and for the toilet facilities in the middle of the night. All other times we use site facilities to the full ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

If you decide to by your friends motorhome get a habitation inspection carried out and a pre-mot check/AA inspection/RAC inspection prior to purchase. That way if for any reason there is anything your friends dont know about, it should come up within the two reports and means even if you decide not to buy it, you will most likely still remain friends.

We always get any prospective purchased checked out - okay it costs a little but it has saved us a lot xxxx

You said "My Partner is reluctant to buy an old van for the same price as a newer coachbuilt. What are your thoughts on fibreglass bodies as apposed to a van conversion?"

regarding the difference between coachbuilt and buying a conversion is insurance. Not all conversions are easily insurable. Always check out how much insurance will be before committing to buy

You said I dont know whether we should buy our friends until we retire although I have a feeling it could be a little too small and then upgrade to something newer and then financially it wont depreciate as much.

My personal opinion and bearing in mind Ive not seen it, is if your friends have owned it from new and had loads of extras added, it obviously has not given them a problem. It may be older now than when they first bought it, but had they been unhappy they would have changed it years ago.

If you decide not to buy your friends motorhome and it has a rear lounge we wouldnt mind looking at it if it sleeps a minimum of 4 people as we are looking to upgrade.

Hope this has been of some use to you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi There and welcome :Smile:
We have two dogs and a van with fixed bed therefore less floor space. We bought a cheap piece of plastic covered metal grill from B&Q (originally designed to train plants onto a wall). We put the dogs in the front cab and place the grill behind the seats. They just sit behind it and watch us cook etc. Works a treat. They are still in the van with us and not under our feet. We also bought a popup tent which they sleep in outside when it isn't blowing a gale and can also go in to rest during the day.
Can't comment on IH vans but enjoy whatever you choose. It's great fun!
:thumb:
Mags

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
also confused

.Perhaps my experience is worth consideration?I bought a campervan brand new for £40,000 .I'd looked at hundreds and I've had trailer tents ,tents and a caravan before.Probably I shouldn't admit to this on this site but I hate it!
The beds are uncomfortable and I feel claustrophobic trying to sleep in it and doing the chores.
I know the majority of owners are delighted with their vans -this is just how I feel a month into ownership.
I know I'll lose lots of money on it but I feel like selling it to a trader and going back to a little car and my trusty tent.
All thoughts on this much appreciated.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
.Perhaps my experience is worth consideration?I bought a campervan brand new for £40,000 .I'd looked at hundreds and I've had trailer tents ,tents and a caravan before.Probably I shouldn't admit to this on this site but I hate it!
The beds are uncomfortable and I feel claustrophobic trying to sleep in it and doing the chores.
I know the majority of owners are delighted with their vans -this is just how I feel a month into ownership.
I know I'll lose lots of money on it but I feel like selling it to a trader and going back to a little car and my trusty tent.

:Eeek:

You feel claustrophobic in a campervan, yet you want to go back to a little car and a tent

:Eeek:

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
perhaps not claustrophobic more restrictive

I find a tent cosy and comfortable
The bed is soft but it undulates so although it was comfy when I briefly lay on my back to test it if you change your position- ie try to sleep on your side - it gets very uncomfortable.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
First of all welcome

Some good advice already given here.......I would just say ..take your time.

get in as many motorhomes as you can...ones you can afford and ones you cant. Think carefully about the layout that suits you.

You will save a lot buying privately..if you find a good one and have it checked over by the AA or another organisation.But you need it checked independantly.......damp for instance not always obvious is a motorhome killer and can be really expensive to cure.

We were caravanners.....................and all I can say is we go away 6 times more in the motorhome than we did in the caravan

Most dealers are rubbish...brilliant in the selling mode
rubbish afer you have bought it .

There are of course exceptions to this...but not it seems many.

Lots to think about ..just dont rush...and lots of folk on this site who will answer any questions. At the end of the day there is no perfect motorhome
its all compromise and everyones need s are different.

And buy Jims book

barry

mickandkim

Free Member
Oct 3, 2011
Purston Jaglin
Funster No
MH
hope to be mobile by dec
Exp
very very new
Chris,

Firstly good look in your search, we are pretty much in the same dilema as you although we are looking for a six berth with a rear lounge / dinette, we have looked at over 100 motorhomes in the last 10 days having travelled as far as hull / brid and south Nottingham, the only thing that we have sorted out is the actual layout that we like best and we have a list of top six model as a wishlist.

We have more or less decided on not buying anything later than 09 but we don't have the advantage of a known pre-owned van offer, but i can understand where your other half is coming from.

Were the CI and eldiss in castleford? i looked at a CI in cass today and there was an eldiss 05 plate next to it.

We have visited Danum at askern a couple of times and found the manager there very helpfull and it seems to be a good place to look round to get a few more ideas at least its local,

Also, we are going to hire a m/h from there for a couple of days to get a hands on idea on whats involved, that might be a good idea for you or even see if your friends will lend you theirs for a couple of days if you can afford to do it legally of course..

We are both in our forties and have children that we would gladly swap for bearded collies at times, :cry: i work full time but have the flexibility to get decent banks of time off but can understand the touring time constraints you are faced with, please keep us up to speed with how you get on..

This site does seem to contain quite a healthy yorkie community.. that must be why its so friendly.. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers Mick and Kim (now with new hairdo.. darent ask how much it cost) :Eeek:

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thank you so much everyone. I am overwhelmed by your responses. :thanks: I am amazed at the amount of people that want to help. The advice is great.

Ourcampersbeentrashed - lots of aspects I hadnt thought about so thank you very much. :thumb:

Mags 52 - good idea about the metal, I had thought of a piece of board to block them in but of course that weighs more.

Mick and Kim - yes the Eldis was in Cas, thats where we live. Good point made earlier about the delaminating, did you see it? The CI we saw was at Danum. Been told today about a dealer in Otley near Harewood House, does anyone know what it is called? (And you really need to swap the kids for Beardies lol)

We are going to the NEC next week and staying over so on the way we thought we could call at OMC they seem to have a lot of vans so we thought we would nosey there. Does anyone know of any others worth calling to on the way from West Yorks to Birmingham?

And who is Jim and whats his book called? Can I get it on Amazon?

Thanks again so much I really do appreciate it ::bigsmile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Book: Link Removed

Sooooo glad I read it--and re-read some bits. Looking at m/home today, it started off looking quite good until I remembered to move the rear seats out -----DAMP on the wall!!!
Walked away...........

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Chris,

Firstly good look in your search, we are pretty much in the same dilema as you although we are looking for a six berth with a rear lounge / dinette, we have looked at over 100 motorhomes in the last 10 days having travelled as far as hull / brid and south Nottingham, the only thing that we have sorted out is the actual layout that we like best and we have a list of top six model as a wishlist.

We have more or less decided on not buying anything later than 09 but we don't have the advantage of a known pre-owned van offer, but i can understand where your other half is coming from.

Were the CI and eldiss in castleford? i looked at a CI in cass today and there was an eldiss 05 plate next to it.

We have visited Danum at askern a couple of times and found the manager there very helpfull and it seems to be a good place to look round to get a few more ideas at least its local,

Also, we are going to hire a m/h from there for a couple of days to get a hands on idea on whats involved, that might be a good idea for you or even see if your friends will lend you theirs for a couple of days if you can afford to do it legally of course..

We are both in our forties and have children that we would gladly swap for bearded collies at times, :cry: i work full time but have the flexibility to get decent banks of time off but can understand the touring time constraints you are faced with, please keep us up to speed with how you get on..

This site does seem to contain quite a healthy yorkie community.. that must be why its so friendly.. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers Mick and Kim (now with new hairdo.. darent ask how much it cost) :Eeek:

Nar then, Nowt more cheery than Yorkshire folk, salt of the earth, the only county in England that speaks the Queens English:winky:...sithie I hope you and Chris65 find the right Motorhome the ones you like...good luck...And welcome to the house of MHFun....Mel :thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi everyone. I am new to the site and as my heading states extremely confused. My partner and I are looking to buy our first motorhome. It will have to be preowned. We need space for two Bearded collies so do like the idea of a lounge at one end or the other so the dogs can be there whilst any cooking is going on. Obviously if the weather is good they can be outside but this has to be a consideration.

We have looked at a 05 plate Autoquest with rear lounge, 8000 miles £19,000. It is being sold through a car dealer. There is a door seal come loose and a little delaminating of cupboards which he as promised to fix. It will have 12 months warranty, mot, tax etc he has promised all hook ups, batteries etc but then you know car salesmen and as I am a woman they automatically think I believe everything! I have looked under the lounge seats for signs of damp and it feels firm to the touch. I have jumped on the floor as suggested and it does appear ok. Under the front wheel arches they are very clean and no rust. Looking down the body work it appears straight. Anything I should be aware of please?

We have also looked at a CI Cusona. Was a little put off by the grill rather than oven. The motorhome dealer said he would put us a proper cooker in. Liked the seperate shower, I am a little confused about the wet rooms in vans, do you have to dry everything down because surely to use the toilet all surfaces will be wet through? Wasnt over keen on the navy upholstery but really feel the layout will work.

There is a 2001 IH Savannah Gold for sale with 39,000 at £16,000 and our friends love there IH van and have been around Europe in it. We have also the chance of buying this van from my friends it is an IH Savannah 1999 with 68,000 miles at a good price. They havent discussed the price yet becuase I said we wouldnt buy till next year but said they wouldnt want anything near £16k for theirs. They are retiring from vanning. It has lots of extras and they have had it from 6 months old. I know this van will have no problems and will have everything to go. The owner would really rather sell it to someone he knows than get the best possible price.

Just to add to this we are in our forties and both still work so the van will be used for long weekends and holidays. My Partner is reluctant to buy an old van for the same price as a newer coachbuilt. What are your thoughts on fibreglass bodies as apposed to a van conversion?

I dont know whether we should buy our friends until we retire although I have a feeling it could be a little too small and then upgrade to something newer and then financially it wont depreciate as much.

There you go! Told you I was confused.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
go to B&Q and buy a damp meter they are cheap and will detect damp that you can not feel or smell

any sign of damp in the walls where roof and wall join then walk away
it will be the best £20 pound you will ever spend

good luck

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
why not part X it for one you would like they are all different

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Nar then, Nowt more cheery than Yorkshire folk, salt of the earth, the only county in England that speaks the Queens English:winky:...sithie I hope you and Chris65 find the right Motorhome the ones you like...good luck...And welcome to the house of MHFun....Mel :thumb:

Thank you Mel but life is sooo unfair sometimes. How come you get the motorhome and get to live in a wonderful place in the world, you lucky bu......er. Please let that be us one day :pray:

I will get a damp meter if theyre only about 20 quid, could do will one for home unfortunately!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thank you Mel but life is sooo unfair sometimes. How come you get the motorhome and get to live in a wonderful place in the world, you lucky bu......er. Please let that be us one day :pray:

I will get a damp meter if theyre only about 20 quid, could do will one for home unfortunately!

Say your prayers every night:pray: be kind to animals:RollEyes::thumb:.... and your fellow man,......and woman of course:winky:..... and hide your bl**dy money away from those thieving pocket filling a*oooools called MPs in & out of Government keep money out of Banks who just want to give themselves a Large BONUS..using your money:Angry:so best not let them get there hands on it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile: then maybe if you are good :pray:him above will say YES:france:::bigsmile:riving2:

Mel:Smile::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back