LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
seems very far fetched to me, but got this in an email and I await for the disproves please-------

PETROL TIPS - info!! (MUST READ)

With Petrol expected to reach £2 per litre by end of 2011 these tips that I received from a friend might come in handy.

TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL

I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol.... I am paying up to £1.35

to £1.50 per litre.

My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every Litre:

Here at the Shell Pipeline where I work, we deliver about 4 million litres in

a 24-hour period .. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, regular and premium grades.

We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 Litres.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold.

Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground.

The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer

petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre

is not exactly a litre.

In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business.

But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode.

If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle,

and high.

You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping.

All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour.

Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to

fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL.

The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space.

Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine.

Petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof.

This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere,

so it minimizes the evaporation.

Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of

the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

To have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Petrol buyers.

It's really simple to do.

I'm sending this note to about thirty people.

If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over

THREE MILLION consumers !!!!!!!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each,

then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people.

How long will it take?

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The temperature difference underground at any fuel station on any day is a fraction of a degree. Re-filling your tank whilst half full to avoid evaporation is more than compensated by running lower and therefor lighter.

When discharging 16 million litres it perhaps makes a significant difference, buying 200 litres it aint worth giving it a second thought.:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
seems to me that the best time to buy petrol then is at a 24hr station on a freezing winter night:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
When Customs and Excise pump a litre of fuel it's pumped into an open container, a litre through the pump is what's measured no matter what head to contain evaporation.

Fuel tanks are underground and therefore insulated against ambient temperature differences between morning and afternoon.

I think these theories are flawed but there again you posted them to be shot at!!:RollEyes:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
fuelling tips

Haggers, what your e mail says is correct:thumb: I used to be a supervisor/operator in a bulk liquid storage depot :Cool:eek:ne of the many products was ulsd, ultra low sulphur diesel oil and all that info related to this product:Blush: and petrol (which we did not store )but the surveyors who quantified each shipment / import also did the petrol shipments /exports from stanlow the local refinery in the north west of england having said that the quantity saved in one tank fill would only equate to an eye dropper full :shout:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Most of the emails and posts that say "pass it on to more people " are a form of virus......if only judged by the extra volume of internet traffic they induce by people who are passing it on.

I wouldnt be suprised if this was the case with this one.

If you want to save petrol.............get your bike out more...walk more
and try a more delicate use of the right foot.

Googling this shows it is a sort of myth/hoax that has been doing the round for ages

more detail here.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

Whenever people ask you to pass it on ......its probably rubbish.
especially virus warnings.

barry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm sending this note to about thirty people.

If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over

THREE MILLION consumers !!!!!!!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each,

then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Simple 'pyramid' email.

if you try to fill a specific monetary amount, say £40, at the pump you're very lucky if it stops dead on £40...always seems to go from £39.99 to £40.01... so the extra penny over will be to pay for the evaporative/thermal loss :roflmto:

if it really concerns you then fill at an all night station at 3am and place a wet rag over the pump nozzle/filler neck to stop the massive evaporation.:winky:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
With Petrol expected to reach $2 per litre by end of 2011, these tips that I received from a friend might come in handy.
TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL
I don`t know what you guys are paying for Petrololine.... [HI]but here in Melbourne [/HI]we are paying up to $1.30 to $1.50 per litre. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money`s worth for every Litre:
Here at the Shell Pipeline where I work in Melbourne , we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and Petrololine, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 Litres.

currently working for the Kinder-Morgan Pipeline here in [HI]San Jose, CA. [/HI]We deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period from the pipe line

Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline, where I work in [HI]Durban[/HI], we deliver

Strong rumours here in [HI]Erris, Co Mayo [/HI](beside Corrib gas ... Seemingly the details in the legal papers are dynamite for Shell and

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
On aTop Gear a few years ago they ran one of the new Jags from Scotland to London on a tankful. They did mention to fill up early morning when it was cold, not to run electrics such as radio as this causes a drag on the alernator as well as keeping air con and heating off for the same reason. Driving techniques can do a lot more such as no fierce acceleration or fast breaking, Plan your journey,you use a lot of fuel accelerating to 30 than cruising at 40.
Mobil economy runs were good tests of fuel economy.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I had to laugh when I read the original post....... So much rather dodgy science......

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
With Petrol expected to reach $2 per litre by end of 2011, these tips that I received from a friend might come in handy.
TIPS ON PUMPING PETROL
I don`t know what you guys are paying for Petrololine.... [HI]but here in Melbourne [/HI]we are paying up to $1.30 to $1.50 per litre. My line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money`s worth for every Litre:
Here at the Shell Pipeline where I work in Melbourne , we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and Petrololine, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 Litres.

currently working for the Kinder-Morgan Pipeline here in [HI]San Jose, CA. [/HI]We deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period from the pipe line

Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline, where I work in [HI]Durban[/HI], we deliver

Strong rumours here in [HI]Erris, Co Mayo [/HI](beside Corrib gas ... Seemingly the details in the legal papers are dynamite for Shell and
your point being Dave, just 'cos this bloke gets around a bit doesn't mean a lot :ROFLMAO:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
seems to me that the best time to buy petrol then is at a 24hr station on a freezing winter night:thumb::thumb:

Used to work in a petrol station as a teenager - you know the prehistoric age when you actually had petrol pump attendants that did it for you.

We HAD to deliver fuel on FAST delivery as it maximised their profit apparently especially in summer. Those were the days when pumps had a clip leaver that locked it into fast delivery but also had 2 other settings.

NEVER completely fill your tank on a hot day. Always leave a gap for expansion and in summer we only put in £15 maximum at a time because although the petrol/diesel tanks underground are cool - the car tank does get warm in summer and some does evaporate and build up gasses that make the whooshing noise when you open the petrol cap sometimes in hot weather

I found this comment extremely interesting because in the last two months I have (as an experience petrol pump attendant) been unable to stop our local supermarkets pump on exactly £20 (lways seems to go from £39.99 to £40.01... ) I can stop in on £30 okay but not on £20 so I make sure I never have the extra penny and smile nicely and get let off.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Can any one afford to fill up :Sad:

Drivers have cut their petrol consumption by more than 15% since the credit crunch and the recession.

The AA has calculated that petrol sales in the first six months of 2011 were 1.7bn litres less than in the same period three years ago.

The AA says the drop in petrol sales is a direct result of record fuel prices.

Many drivers are struggling to make ends meet in any case, so the high cost of petrol leaves them with no option but to try to use less.

And businesses have been cutting back as well.

The cut in fuel purchases, comparing the first six months of this year with pre-recession levels, is equivalent to 40,000 delivery rounds by fully-laden petrol tankers.

One result has been lower emissions of potentially damaging exhaust fumes.

Another, says the AA, is that the fall in sales has deprived the Treasury of nearly £1bn in fuel duty between January and June this year.

And while supermarkets have attracted drivers looking for bargain fuel, hundreds of other petrol stations have gone out of business.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What he says is correct, however, if you were to follow all of his advice I doubt you would have a noticeable difference. The other option is only fill up in the depths of winter.:Smile:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Straight from wikipedias mouth

The metrology of gasoline

Source: National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Handbook 44.

The reference temperature for gasoline volume measurement is 60 °F (16 °C). Ten gallons of gasoline at that temperature expands to about 10.05 US gal (38.0 L; 8.4 imp gal) at 85 °F (29 °C) and contracts to about 9.83 US gal (37.2 L; 8.2 imp gal) at 30 °F (−1 °C). Each of the three volumes represents the same theoretical amount of energy. In one sense, ten gallons of gasoline purchased at 30°F is about 3.2% more potential energy than ten gallons purchased at 85°F.

Higher energy prices have raised awareness of this issue for consumers. At the same time, alternative fuel applications are now reaching the retail market and accurate comparisons between them in normal usage are needed. Eventually the basis for retail sales will change from volume units in litres or gallons to energy units such as the BTU, joule, therm, or kWh so that electricity, liquids, liquefied gases and compressed gases can all be sold and taxed uniformly

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
:shout:ARRGGGHHHHH.................all very [STRIKE]interesting but [/STRIKE]SAD:Doh:

Life is too short to worry about these trivial facts - I'm sure far more can be saved by better driving if really necessary :thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
guys, I never said I believed it :Smile::roflmto:

Twas an email Nikki got from one of her "girlfriends"

But at least Ive sent it on to my 10 people, in fact the ammount of views means ill go to heaven for saving the planet :roflmto:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Tis all true but needs putting into prospective :ROFLMAO:You may save half an egg cup full on a fill up ::bigsmile:
A bit like the current promos with 5p per ltr off if you buy cheese(tesco) - say £ 6 for the cheese to save 5 p p ltr but the cheese is only £ 4 in other places (asda-morrys) false savings :Eeek:I have also noticed that when the promos are on the cost of fuel is 2p per ltr more :Angry: making the 5p saving only 3p :Doh:::bigsmile:
The better promos are say spend £40 or 50 to get 5p off that way you still shop but can buy the bargains at the reduced normal prices :thumb::Smile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back