Autotrail Cheyenne - Toll Charges (1 Viewer)

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Is it true that motorhomes over 3m come under Category 2 when going through toll booths?
Our Cheyenne is 3.07m and we recently went through one in this country and it came up Category 3. We argued the toss it was under 3m and the Satellite Dome on top was making it over 3m. They did accept it but legally it is Category 3, which is a heck of a lot more than Category 2.
What is the legal score on this?

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I really like the roomy feel of our Autotrail Delaware but why make it 3.03m tall. The designers must know the height limit (3 metres) for some tolls and the difference in toll price is substantial. I know there are those who will say ā€œwhen you pay that much for a motorhome why worry about a few Ā£100 a yearā€œ but I regard it as a design fault.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
under 3m is class 2
Over 3m is class 3
Press the button for the operator and say "" Je suis un Camping-Car"" which may work as Camping Cars are SUPPOSED to class 2 but doesn't always work - from experience our 2.95m high moho - was topped on last peage before Calais where they claimed I was over 3m and would NOT let me through unless I paid class 3

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

BTW IF you are over 3.5T these don't cover you and you can be fined for using one - - we've sent ours back as when we apply the Angles morts it shows that we are over 3.5T
And as SWMBO is not allowed to drive anymore I have someone to pop out and pay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Class 3.
Also if over 3.5t regardless of height its Class 3.

How do ā€˜theyā€™ know? Is a digital check of some database? Thinking of a scenario with a 3.65t uplift on a usually 3.5t model where they are visually identical.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How do ā€˜theyā€™ know? Is a digital check of some database? Thinking of a scenario with a 3.65t uplift on a usually 3.5t model where they are visually identical.
The OP asked for the legal position so I gave it, up to you if you want to risk it. I don't use toll roads.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I really like the roomy feel of our Autotrail Delaware but why make it 3.03m tall. The designers must know the height limit (3 metres) for some tolls and the difference in toll price is substantial. I know there are those who will say ā€œwhen you pay that much for a motorhome why worry about a few Ā£100 a yearā€œ but I regard it as a design fault.
Have you a Hi-Line or a Low-Line Autotrail?

Reactions: JaG
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
The OP asked for the legal position so I gave it, up to you if you want to risk it. I don't use toll roads.

It was a genuine question asking about a borderline vehicle scenario. I thought that someone might be able to answer it - or maybe not. :rolleyes:

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
We've recently travelled through France in an Autotrail Arapaho (3.1)All tolls came up as class 2 even the Millau bridge.
In previous years we've had to challenge most tolls down to class 2. The Millau used to get us for class 4 and would not change because we have 6 wheels.
This year I wondered if they had raised the height sensors to ease the number of challenges.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It was a genuine question asking about a borderline vehicle scenario. I thought that someone might be able to answer it - or maybe not. :rolleyes:
Normally they only have height sensors but I think on some booths they can detect number of axles which also puts the cost up.
We have ended up on a toll section a couple of times by accident and only been charged Class 2 we are 4.5t.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Press the button for the operator and say "" Je suis un Camping-Car""
Yep, that'll see thee right in 'Uddersfield...........
.......we recently went through one in this country and it came up Category 3.

I think he'd fare better with: "Eeeyupp lad, carn't thar see I'm int' Cheyenne?"

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Our Autotrail Tribute low line according to the brochure is also 3.03 metre. Its always been charged as class 2. This year i accually checked the height fully loaded at the highest point and it came to 2.97 meters. Maybe worthwhile checking yours.

Hoovie

Free Member
May 16, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I assume you're asking me?
Our's is a high line also.
Guess it was a question for any Autotrail owner.

Sounds like the Highline (which I have also) is well over the 3M height number.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
ramsthom The brochure showed the Low Line at 3.03m and the Hi Line at 3.10m. However I am not sure if that is the highest point of the body or of the accessories. The Aerial is slightly raised from the roof, although it is able to be flattened. I measured the motorhome last year by taking a spirit level up on a forklift truck, and it was exactly 3m but the ground sloped so I could be a few cms out. However, if a bridge height was given as 3.01m, I wouldnā€™t be going through it!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
3.03m is just over an inch more than 3m - for years I've always believed that size didn't matter ... :X3: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I would be surprised if any laser measurements at toll booths were set so accurately and by the time the Moho is full laden it may be a bit closer to the height limit ?

OP
OP
JaG

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Our Autotrail Tribute low line according to the brochure is also 3.03 metre. Its always been charged as class 2. This year i accually checked the height fully loaded at the highest point and it came to 2.97 meters. Maybe worthwhile checking yours.
It will be the satellite dome which seals the over 3m height. When we next plan to go through a height toll I will take off the dome and see what happens.

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
Our Tracker Hi-line has always been Class 2 in France on the height measure. We are plated at 3650 though, so should really pay class 3 I think. Today we are off to Chester for a couple of days and Iā€™ve just checked the toll price of the Runcorn Bridge Mersey crossing. The weight puts us into class 3 which is Ā£6 as opposed to Ā£2 for sub 3.5 tonne šŸ™.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It will be the satellite dome which seals the over 3m height. When we next plan to go through a height toll I will take off the dome and see what happens.
Domes donā€™t make any difference we had auto trail Tracker with a dome and always made class 2šŸ˜Š

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back