habitation door accidentally locks itself. (1 Viewer)

indi

Free Member
Sep 14, 2011
hampshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2006
We have a 2011 autotrail navajo and have experienced several times the habitation door has locked itself for no reason when we close the door from outside. Luckily we now always keep our keys on us as we would have been locked out. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so is there anything we can do to stop the door from locking accidentally and us from being locked out?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It has happened from time to time on our van as well over the past couple of years. Something to do (I think) with the inner lock handle sticking when the door is opened from inside and not ending up in its proper "at rest" position.

I've never found a cure, other than making sure the handle is properly "at rest" - which I might remember for a few times after it sticks but soon forget to do :Smile: Most effective solution is to keep your keys with you as you do I think :Smile:

No doubt somebody will be along soon with a simple proper solution :Smile:

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
Yes we had an Autotrail that did that, had to get Brownhills out to it whilst on site at one of the Motorhome Shows lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Spare key in a magnetic box somewhere outside is the best solution :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Never had one but would think best solution would be to strip it down and lubricate or if central locking disconnect it from hab door
terry

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
we had this on holiday this year, turned out to be my grandson "driving" and pressing the door button down, little bugger, his mam had to climb thro the windows a few times

Malcolm Whale

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Autotrail habitation door self locking

Had the same problem on my 2006 Scout. If yours is on a Merc it's the central locking. If you go out of the habitation door when the vehicle is locked, you have to open and close one of the cab doors. It will then not auto-lock!

I'm checking with Merc whether this can be disabled without effecting the central-locking (which I like).

Malcolm

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had the same problem with my Eura hab door. I got into the habit of always carrying my keys with me. Never happened again after that:Doh:

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
it's happened to me a couple of times, it turned out to be the other half dropping hints

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have a similar problem on our 2008 Rapido(Merc chassis).
Complained to the dealer who said it's a "feature" of the chassis! They said that if you unlock using the central locking key and enter via the habitation door the central locking system doesn't know you you have entered because it only "recognises" the cab doors as part of the system.
The system then for security locks the doors againn after say 30 seconds.
The "solution"is to open and close one of the cab doors after entering via the hab door.
This sounds so ridiculous I thought the dealer was taking the p*ss
However I started a thread on "another motorhome forum" and apparently the dealer is right!
It appears that this "feature" can be disabled on a Merc chassis by a Merc workshop using a Star computer system (for a fee!). I just make sure a set of keys is always in my pocket whenI'm not in the van.
The thread also turned up quite a lot of Fiat chassis van owners with similar issues.
Hope this makes sense!
Makems

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
This happened to "The Stig" last weekend in his Autotrail, dogs were sat inside very happy with engine running and all the doors locked, jeff had to get a locksmith out, and £50 later he got in his van, oh dear!!

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
i would have done it for free and would have let them keep the brick :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
ihere is a lock that uses ae reeded relay to solve probs ,and can be programed to the central locking :winky:

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Habitation door lock

This happened to us in our Eura Mobil Activa when we were parked on a friend's drive. We had to get Britannia Rescue out and they opened one of the cab doors. Friend is a retired policeman but could not get in to the van. We always took a key out with us after that.
Elizabeth
:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back