Friends, family, forums & forward planning ................... (1 Viewer)

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
As we wave off this year’s last few campers, and relax having closed the cafe and shop for the season – well actually we are preparing for our daughter and her family to come to live with us for a year or four - we reflect on all the motorhoming friends that have come to see us this year. Thank you all for coming and hope we will see you again soon. It is our intention to promote our new CS a bit more next year – we really have not had many campers on it, and will still be operating under Britstops in the car park, and hopefully holding a rally or two (if we are asked), and definitely a gathering or two on the rally field.
We have lots of queries – perhaps you could help us:
1. What do you look for on a CL/CS: low price – if so how low? EHU, WiFi, shower, toilet, shop – if so, stocking what? Anything else?
2. The next C&CC book is not out until 2013, so can anyone recommend ways or places we could promote our site?
3. Have you used Britstops this year? If so, will you join again next year? If not, why not?
4. If you live in or visit Scotland, would you be interested in coming to one of our meets (near Inverness) next year? If so, which month would suit you best? (PM if you would like to be on a “mailing” list – I will PM once for each meet to let you know the date)
5. Can anyone lead me to a definitive list of shows for next year – our meets always seem to clash with something (or perhaps it is just an excuse!)!
6. Is there any possibility of getting an exemption from this forum to hold a meet/rally for members?
7. Finally if you have been for a meet or gathering before I would welcome any suggestions of the length of time you would like the meets to be and what you would like to do.
I know this is a lot of questions in one post – but I did not want to have lots of threads running at the same time. I appreciate any help and please pm your answers if you prefer to.
All the best and safe travels
Magbrin

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Sorry Have not got time at the mo (will be on our way up your way on holiday tonight):thumb:

I'd probly try one question at a time mate:thumb:

Bump anyway:thumb:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Margaret,

We have only visited you once last year & really enjoyed your company.

The only thing that I would say that we thought that you could improve on was the field being a bit soggy, maybe need some hard stands.

Hope this helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I confess I've only stayed on a CL/CS once and that was in the lake district area on my way up to Scotland. Had hardstanding, electric, fresh water and CDP point. Also had entire place to myself which was an area within the farmer's field, one house some distance up the road, and a pub that closed at about 11pm. So after that it was just me and the dog! Loved it ::bigsmile: But now I travel with a 2yr old and no dog and would be a little wary of staying so remotely. But now that we have a more self-sufficient van I would consider using a CL/CS again but only if I felt confident there were likely to be other campers about, or at least with other people about, but at the moment I tend to aim for club sites (at least while I don't have to pay for my little one). However, if I were to book a CS/CL I would probably look for level hardstanding pitches, electric, CDP, easy fresh water access to fill m/h and either a play area on site or very nearby (apparently camping anywhere is fine as long as it has a slide and swing!!)...anything else would be a bonus. Not sure if that helps you though.

Daisy2

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Oh, forgot to mention website. I like things that have websites so I can get an idea of what the place looks like and prices (not always clear from something like the C&CC website what the prices are for non-club site listings).

Daisy2

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
1. What do you look for on a CL/CS: low price – if so how low? EHU, WiFi, shower, toilet, shop – if so, stocking what? Anything else?

Depends. If I'm stopping for a night then I tend not to need EHU; if I'm using the site as base camp for a longer stay then I tend to look for EHU + hard-standing + decent ground for pitching a utility tent. Always need shower facilities (none in van).

Would use free WiFi, but have a 3G dongle when none available.

Shop not vital but nice for eggs, sweets, drinks. I don't think I've ever forgotten to pack something vital....yet!

Price...hmmm....depends again but as a rough guideline, basic facilities: £5 - £10. Full facilities (EHU + hard-standing): £10 - £12. I'll pay more if the location is great, etc.

3. Have you used Britstops this year? If so, will you join again next year? If not, why not?
Only used one so far. Ended up spending enough in the pub for a meal to pay for several days on a CS/CL, so not exactly a money-saver so far :Doh:. Mind you, that's not the only reason for using the scheme.

Will renew if I get my money's worth. Unfortunately the year is fixed (March - February, presumably due to the sticker) and I didn't join until about 6 months in, so I need to use it a bit more before I decide.

4. If you live in or visit Scotland, would you be interested in coming to one of our meets (near Inverness) next year? If so, which month would suit you best? (PM if you would like to be on a “mailing” list – I will PM once for each meet to let you know the date)
I would really like to (never visited Scotland :Sad:) but it's a looong way in a little campervan and work will probably get in the way. One day... :pray:

5. Can anyone lead me to a definitive list of shows for next year – our meets always seem to clash with something (or perhaps it is just an excuse!)!
I tend to keep an eye on the "Upcoming Events" list on the right-hand side of the home page.

Hope this helps... :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We no longer use CL's and the like because:

No WiFi ( unless charged at silly money )
And one that really makes me tick..
Charges... Now If I am told its £11 a night fine if it is an ok place

If I get told its £20 a night still fine if if it is an ok place

But... When you ask how much and are told x amount, then find out its a quid more for an awning, a quid for a dog, a quid for parking tax, a quid for an extra person, a quid for emptying the toilet, a quid for a shower.. and further quids ad infinitum !

Soooo
Nice showers, WiFi and a set price to include all.
Set two prices if needs be, one all inclusive, no extras added on no matter what, and one that is all bits and bobs..

Shop.. not essential but it would be nice if folk could place an order for bread, milk, newspapers and the like.. That way you would not have to keep stock in ( Tescos on line ordering perchance :winky: ) and can make a few bob along the way

I have not had the good fortune to get to your place Margaret and no idea how your fees are structured so this is in no way aimed at your good self.. merely a general observation on he few CL type sites we have visited :Smile:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I know I've already repled on the 'other' forum but just thought of something to add.
I agree that making the website absolutely clear on what the place is like and what you get for what price is really helpful.
For instance, letting people know that you have the basic waste, wate CDP but no electric hook up with the prices stated then a photo of the parking space plus one or two of the brilliant views would make it absolutely clear what a customer would get. The wifi should be a big draw so make sure it's mentioned on the page. Mention of the cafe and the lovely edibles in the shop should also be there.
Now we've been to yours we wouldn't hesitate to come back. Sometimes I feel a bit nervous about CL/CS s because they can be pretty poor. Yours is great!
Hope all this helps
Mags

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi a site called 5van co.uk might help dont know what it costs, we always use cl/cs's prefer quiet ,no frills ,no extras as van self contained no fuss .

OP
OP
M

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Just thought I'd revive this thread in case anyone else has anything to add.
Update:
CS now listed on 8-10 camping/ caravanning websites/forums with site details - so look forward to seeing more club visitors this year.
Highland Gathering will be held in June and Mini meet in september - any dates to be avoided? Will post details in due course - and the C&CC rally is booked for 2nd - 6th July.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back