Which is better ?Diesel or Petrol/LPG for fuel economy (1 Viewer)

Jask

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm thinking of buying an American RV .Being a truck driver i have all way's favored Diesel engine vehicles .I have been told by a few ppl that petrol/Lpg Rv's are a better option .Why is this the case .I would have a thought that if you intend to do alot of mileage then Diesel would be the best option .Any advice would be much appreciated .:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Depends on were your traveling to. LPG is not much use in Spain as its difficult to get hold of. In North Africa its impossible. If your a HGV driver you don't need me to tell you about the longevity and reliability of a large oil burner.
Am a lover of the diesel engine as I understand it. Too many electrical components to go wrong on a petrol engine for my liking. Having said that, Each to there own. Cummins has always been king in my book and always will be.

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
the only reason i can think off well 2 reasons
1. lpg is cheaper than petrol or derv
2. run on lpg in london to avoid the lez so i have been told

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi
the smaller RVs don't often come with diesel motors---so petrol/lpg is only option with them.
American diesels are not THAT good on fuel-------LPG conversion is expensive---AND has more electronics to go wrong.
I love diesels (especially Cummins)----so, for me if it didn't run on diesel,
I'm not interested.
We have run Range Rover/Discovery/V8 Landrover on LPG, so have some experience of it, fuel is taxed less than petrol, so running on LPG can be cheaper (when we ran the Land Rovers on LPG it was cheaper than similar vehicle on diesel)
If getting a vehicle converted to LPG------fit the biggest tanks that weight/space allow-------or you may go off your intended route to keep on lpg--------and torque is normally higher with diesels
Also when abroard, diesel is everywhere

BUT FOR ME IT'S GOT TO BE DIESEL
Nigel & Pamala

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As you are a truck driver you will be able to choose from RVs above 7500kg and move into the area of diesel pushers which could be a better option although there are a couple of new RVs on the market with front end diesels, the earlier front end ones are generally based on the Chevy 6.5l V8 turbo diesel.
You may get more experienced advice on our sister site www.rvoc.co.uk which is dedicated to RV owners

Larry

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I'm thinking of buying an American RV .Being a truck driver i have all way's favored Diesel engine vehicles .I have been told by a few ppl that petrol/Lpg Rv's are a better option .Why is this the case .I would have a thought that if you intend to do alot of mileage then Diesel would be the best option .Any advice would be much appreciated .:Smile:

we have a chevy 7.4 V8 RV with LPG
we get 10miles to 5Ltrs of LPG
and about 15miles on petrol

its a no brainer LPG @ £0.70/LTR = £0.35p/mile

a house on wheels with air con central heating bath shower and full size bed

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
we have a chevy 7.4 V8 RV with LPG
we get 10miles to 5Ltrs of LPG
and about 15miles on petrol

its a no brainer LPG @ £0.70/LTR = £0.35p/mile

a house on wheels with air con central heating bath shower and full size bed

Jeez these new Chevy petrol engines must be good. Last 6.5 I had in a pickup truck wouldnt do more than 12 MPG...I could even get it down to 6 if I tried.
Wheres Buttons tonight???:winky:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Diesel is more efficient than petrol.

Petrol is more efficient than LPG

but LPG is far cheaper than Diesel or Petrol.

£ for £ you cant beat LPG :thumb:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Last time I checked was getting 14.7 out of my Cummins fully loaded and with a toad hanging on the rear.
That was pushing it,and I wasn't hanging around. It was on a return trip to Eurodisney from South Manchester.
Solo it will do 16 with the cruise set at 65 MPH.
Solo with the cruise set at 55 17.5.
Havnt pulled these figures out of the sky. Its been checked over many thousands of miles. Am used to checking fuel figures, as a drastic drop in fuel economy is the first indication of mechanical failure.
Am not cynical, sceptical, or stupid....have had to many Yanks for too many years to be either.:winky:

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I think it boils down to what you have at the moment. For me it's diesel, but never used LPG.
I get good fuel figures from my 2000 Ducato on diesel without the chipping business.
Availability of fuel must come into the equation: I dont know of a fuel station that doesnt sell DERV, but I dont of know of many that sell LPG.
Also, not being a technician of any quality, repairs must be considered.
Basic diesel engines can, in the words of Mr. Hilldweller "Be fixed by a blacksmith".
I dunno about gas systems, but is this the case?

Open minded, no intention of farting about with LPG. DERV suits me at the moment.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back