Scooters - how big an engine... (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Afternoon all

Im toying with the idea of getting a little scooter/moped to go on the back of the van

Not having ever having had one before, im curious as to the engine size capabilities

Ideally id like to stick to 50cc so i can use it on my existing driving licence, and ideally it would be able to manage up and down hills OK as well as opposed to just around town - with two of us on it (Im a little short for my weight and the wife isnt ::bigsmile:)

weight wise it needs to be under 100kg, so i could bolt on carrier to the existing towbar set up which has a max downwards weight of 140kg

Any advice welcomed::bigsmile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hiya Bungy,
no matter what car/lorry licence you hold ( unless you have passed a car test in the last few years ) you will need to do a CBT, whether you go with a 'ped', or indeed a 125 something or other.

It is not really a test as such, merely a one day course to make sure you can actually ride a moped or bike at a basic level :Smile:

This from the DVLA:

If you have a car driving licence
If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001, you must complete a CBT course to confirm your full moped rights.
If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you don't need to complete a CBT course to ride a moped. However, the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) recommends that you do.
If you want to ride a motorcycle you must apply for a provisional motorcycle licence and then complete a CBT course.

Up until just a couple of years ago my advise would have been avoid bikes / scooters from China
But today they offer a good selection to choose from at a reasonable cost

As to what engine size.. That depends on a few things

1) What do you weigh

2) Do you intend to take a passenger ?

3) Do you intend doing journeys in excess of, say, 8 miles ?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
IMO the 50cc scooters are down right dangerous. Restricted to less than 30 MPH they wont keep up with other traffic and with 2 people up they are difficult to keep balance. We have all gone past them and looked in the mirror and the bow wave from the camper has blown them all over the road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Jaws

The one day CBT was one i had looked into as i passed my test before feb2001 but dont have any real experience on any powered 2 wheeled things, i am hoping not to have to go down the route of needing a light licence (A1) or a full motorbike licence, hence the 50cc bit..but needs must i guess

on the weight and passenger front - lets say the combined weight of me and my wife is 26 stone, me being the predominant proportion of that (i blame walkers and an early introduction to the black stuff:drink: )

Use wise i was thinking of being able to 30+ miles off the beaten track when out and about - places the van wont go and im to lazy to cycle that far!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hiya Bungy,
no matter what car/lorry licence you hold ( unless you have passed a car test in the last few years ) you will need to do a CBT, whether you go with a 'ped', or indeed a 125 something or other.

That's not my reading of the rules you set out Jaws.

If your licence was obtained before 2001 and you only want to ride a 50cc then you dont need a CBT.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Bungy
If you passed your test before 2001 then you dont need to do a cbt but if you have never had a bike before it would be a good idea. I have a little 50cc for going to work and back i can get 45mph out of it downhill :ROFLMAO: i wouldn't think it would be safe to drive long distances with 2 people on it. Have you had a look at the 3 wheelers you can get now you dont need a bike licence for them im sure but might be a bit heavy.

Gerry

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Bungy
If you passed your test before 2001 then you dont need to do a cbt but if you have never had a bike before it would be a good idea. I have a little 50cc for going to work and back i can get 45mph out of it downhill :ROFLMAO: i wouldn't think it would be safe to drive long distances with 2 people on it. Have you had a look at the 3 wheelers you can get now you dont need a bike licence for them im sure but might be a bit heavy.

Gerry

Is that the ones with 2 wheels at the front - i saw one in France and had to take 4 or so looks before i spotted what looked odd about it

one of these Piaggio

Last edited:
OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
IMO the 50cc scooters are down right dangerous. Restricted to less than 30 MPH they wont keep up with other traffic and with 2 people up they are difficult to keep balance. We have all gone past them and looked in the mirror and the bow wave from the camper has blown them all over the road.

hadnt thought about that - i suspect the passenger might not like that idea much!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Is that the ones with 2 wheels at the front - i saw one in France and had to take 4 or so looks before i spotted what looked odd about it

I think(but you need to check) that you can ride one of those up to 400cc on a pre 2001 car licence but without doing CBT/Bike test. Weird looking things though.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I could only ride a 50cc on my licence back in 2000 and took a test rather than the cbt and passed so I can take Tez on the back now but only on a scooter up to 125cc.
Test was easy and didn't have to take the theory as I passed my test back in 73.
So are you saying the rules have changed now?:Sad:
Seems really daft that Tez has had an HGV but cannot take a 125 scooter on the road but I can and have never held an HGV.
So he has to ride pillion with me!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
Afternoon all

Im toying with the idea of getting a little scooter/moped to go on the back of the van

Not having ever having had one before, im curious as to the engine size capabilities

Ideally id like to stick to 50cc so i can use it on my existing driving licence, and ideally it would be able to manage up and down hills OK as well as opposed to just around town - with two of us on it (Im a little short for my weight and the wife isnt ::bigsmile:)

weight wise it needs to be under 100kg, so i could bolt on carrier to the existing towbar set up which has a max downwards weight of 140kg

Any advice welcomed::bigsmile:
hello bungy you want a 4 stroke 50cc great little bikes we are the same weight combined as youselfs and always hire one when we go away and there great up and down the hillls ? these new bikes now have the power so cbt bla bla bla ye dont need it so go and buy one dogmanlpool

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
hello bungy you want a 4 stroke 50cc great little bikes we are the same weight combined as youselfs and always hire one when we go away and there great up and down the hillls ? these new bikes now have the power so cbt bla bla bla ye dont need it so go and buy one dogmanlpool

Cheers:thumb:

twas what i was hoping - hadn't thought about hiring one to be honest, sounds like a good plan before spending out too much::bigsmile:

probably do the one day thing anyway before i terrorize the roads:roflmto:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have just bought a scooter for the back of the van last week.

A Suzuki address 125.

I rode it back from Scotland to Newcastle, sitting about 60 / 65 mph. It did 94 mpg. Since I've been back using around town I'm getting about 130 mpg.
4 speed semi automatic, a bit like the old Honda C90. It's fun to ride and surprisingly nippy (for a scoot!):thumb:

It will carry 2 comfortably and keep up safely with the traffic. It weighs 104 kg.

I intend to put it on the back of the van, though it may fit in the garage if I remove the Top Case and mirrors..
The next bit is to get the tow-bar and scooter rack fixed. May need to ask some Funsters advice on the options for that one.

I got a full bike licence but my wife plans to do CBT so she can use it as well:RollEyes:

Attachments

• add.jpg
    add.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 22

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Sorry dogmanpool but I disagree with this, a 50cc for 2 'larger' adults isn't going to be any fun at all! Quite apart from the slowness of the thing, they are cramped and, unless you are related to a frog, you won't like sitting like one for ages!

I've driven moped/scooters/bikes since I was 17 and having had experience of many different types of smaller engined ones, I certainly wouldn't go below 100cc for 2 up 'relaxed' riding. Not only do you get more speed, you get more space/legroom, a better ride etc.

The other point is safety - a 50cc scooter is okay for tootling around for youngsters, or those of a smaller size, but for 2 larger adults it would be a liability for the reasons that some have already mentioned.

As for not taking a CBT because the bikes have the power - that is one of the most stupid things I have heard! :Doh: A CBT is about how to handle the thing, learn how to position it on the road, what to be aware of etc - just because you've driven a car or motorhomes, or even a HGV, it doesn't meant that you automatically know how to ride a bike or scooter. I can easily pick out the idiots who have just got on a bike or scooter without any training because they are 'allowed' legally to, due to the stupid/dangerous/nervous way they ride and the situations they get themselves into.

If you value your life then get some training - even if you are only going to hire a bike or scooter you should know how to ride it.:Smile:

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
Sorry dogmanpool but I disagree with this, a 50cc for 2 'larger' adults isn't going to be any fun at all! Quite apart from the slowness of the thing, they are cramped and, unless you are related to a frog, you won't like sitting like one for ages!

I've driven moped/scooters/bikes since I was 17 and having had experience of many different types of smaller engined ones, I certainly wouldn't go below 100cc for 2 up 'relaxed' riding. Not only do you get more speed, you get more space/legroom, a better ride etc.

The other point is safety - a 50cc scooter is okay for tootling around for youngsters, or those of a smaller size, but for 2 larger adults it would be a liability for the reasons that some have already mentioned.

As for not taking a CBT because the bikes have the power - that is one of the most stupid things I have heard! :Doh: A CBT is about how to handle the thing, learn how to position it on the road, what to be aware of etc - just because you've driven a car or motorhomes, or even a HGV, it doesn't meant that you automatically know how to ride a bike or scooter. I can easily pick out the idiots who have just got on a bike or scooter without any training because they are 'allowed' legally to, due to the stupid/dangerous/nervous way they ride and the situations they get themselves into.

If you value your life then get some training - even if you are only going to hire a bike or scooter you should know how to ride it.:Smile:

hello minx if you had read my post right you would read it that i said when am on holiday i always hire a scooter 50cc and it is fine for me and my girl to potter about on what bungy wants ????? i do agree if ye cant ride one then have some lessons coz it is pointless havn a CBT if you dnt need it at £90 a go ? thats a full years insurance for some scooters and with this present climate its all about saving money ?? and are freind bungy only asked what scooter and the poor chap has been bombed with CBT chit chat and that wasnt what he asked cause he already knew the DVLA rules ? and just to say 4 stroke engines that are in these scooters are not like the 50cc you are on about thanks dogmanlpool

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Last month when on an Aire in France I parked up next to an English guy who had just bought a nice looking brand new 50cc Chinese scooter (4 stroke), which he carried in the garage of his new m/h.

He had said he bought it because it was only about 85 kg (he was worried about his payload) and it fitted in his m/h garage.

However, after having used it on holiday for a few weeks he was really disappointed with it's performance.

He told me it struggled up any incline of note with him and his wife on it ( I guessed they were about 20 to 25 stone combined.) He said he kept having to change down till it was barely crawling in first. He also said it was scary on any busy road as it would only do about 30 to 40 mph max and any traffic passing especially trucks did make him wobble it unsettled him.

He hoped when he got back he could get the dealer would let him exchange it for a 100c or 125cc to get an acceptable level of performance, as it just did not perform as he had hoped.

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
thanks everyone for the advice/comments etc :thumb:

I guess what it comes down to is personal preference, comfort levels and confidence

me thinks itll be a try before i buy scenario, after doing the 1day cbt thing that is ::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
hello minx if you had read my post right you would read it that i said when am on holiday i always hire a scooter 50cc and it is fine for me and my girl to potter about on what bungy wants ????? i do agree if ye cant ride one then have some lessons coz it is pointless havn a CBT if you dnt need it at £90 a go ? thats a full years insurance for some scooters and with this present climate its all about saving money ?? and are freind bungy only asked what scooter and the poor chap has been bombed with CBT chit chat and that wasnt what he asked cause he already knew the DVLA rules ? and just to say 4 stroke engines that are in these scooters are not like the 50cc you are on about thanks dogmanlpool

I did read your post right, which said:

As for my response, if you read it correctly, you'd see where I was coming from - you said that YOU always hire one but then went on to say for him to BUY one and also basically dismissed the CBT as being pointless ....:Doh:

You're correct that bungy didn't ask for info on the CBT but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be mentioned and why, postings would be really boring if everyone stuck literally to the question that was asked, especially if the original poster then went ahead with what he had been told without realising the other implications of doing so because no one bothered to mention it .... :Blush:

When you are on holiday and you hire one, do you have all the gear to ensure that if you come off it you don't badly injure yourself as you scrape along the road ... or are you one of the people that goes around on them in shorts and sandals .... :Cool:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
have you thought about a quad????
and personally id use a trailer as to hang 100kg on the rear of the van will just about lose you all your payload.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
All valid points but unless you are a CBT operator it's a waste of time. If you are nervous fine, if your are 16 a MUST but anything else you can get from common sense and a Noddy book.

Apart from road positioning which is obvious the only thing the CBT teaches you is the lifesaver .

Lets not build the CBT up too much. In my experience it was a waste of one day of my life.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
and personally id use a trailer as to hang 100kg on the rear of the van will just about lose you all your payload.

Or what about an Aframe and toad:winky::Smile:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
All valid points but unless you are a CBT operator it's a waste of time. If you are nervous fine, if your are 16 a MUST but anything else you can get from common sense and a Noddy book.

Apart from road positioning which is obvious the only thing the CBT teaches you is the lifesaver.

Lets not build the CBT up too much. In my experience it was a waste of one day of my life.

... but it may actually save your life one day ...

Lets look at this another way, in the past it was legal for someone with a motorcycle licence to be allowed to drive a 3-wheeled car without any lessons, training etc (as far as I'm aware this may still be the case but as I have both my car and bike licence I don't need to know so haven't checked). Would it be a good idea to say to them just buy one and use it? :whatthe:

Before anyone says 3-wheeled cars don't go fast, think again ... we've had Bonds, Reliants (very safe and fast when you know how to drive them properly), and have friends with loads of other 3 wheeled cars that would knock spots off 4-wheeled cars.:Eeek:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Wot you want is one of these I dont know how much it weighs but carries two alright
images
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
and it goes uphill

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I mentioned the CBT and licencing info as I did not want Bungy to research what to ride, buy something, only to find out he is unable to ride it due to licence restrictions

Bungy did mention he had never ridden a bike hence my words about having to take a CBT.. It was badly put.. I was pointing out that riding a bike on todays roads is bloody dangerous and basic training is essential for personal safety

CBT is not the couple of hours and thats yer lot type of thing it used to be

One of my grandsons took and passed his this very day.. It is now a whole days course including class room work, on road and off road time.

Bungy, I am sure you already know, but just in case....... You will not ( legally ) be able to take a pillion passenger until a full motorcycle test has been passed ( unless the pillion holds a full bike licence )

Been in the bike trade ( and still am ! :Smile: ) longer than I will admit to so my words are not conjecture or guesswork.. they are based in the real world of active biking :thumb:

BTW, for those who take RIDE magazine, I will proly be in there again in a couple of months time .. Fotoshoot and interviews on Saturday :Blush::Smile: )

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
You will not ( legally ) be able to take a pillion passenger until a full motorcycle test has been passed ( unless the pillion holds a full bike licence )

Hi jaws - i didnt know this, from reading up on various CBT/Bike training websites my understanding was that having a pre2001 license automatically enabled you to ride a 50cc Moped with pillion. Granted the official websites (direct gov etc) dont make it clear on this point - at least not that i have been able to find

OP
OP
bungy
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

that has crossed my mind yes, to be able to do this id need to up the lugging value of the van, its rated at 3.5k at the moment, but can be rated to 3.84 doing the paper work shuffle with DVLA and no need for any extra bits added

All options - loads of em!!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Bungy as far as im aware i can take a passenger on the back of my moped as i passed my test before 2001. I think maybe jaws means if you do your CBT for a 125 then you cant carry anyone unless you do full test.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Gerry, sorry mate.. you cannot..
And unless you have passed a motorcycle test you must display L plates too.

The only advantage you have over someone who passed a car test later is that you do not have to do the CBT ( but as I said earlier, realistically everyone who has not ridden at all should do it any way ! :Smile: )

As a by the by, I have heard exactly what you are saying so many times over the years.. Very often from someone who had just been nicked and was subsequently selling 'the poxy bloody scooter' because of it .. So you are far from alone in your belief Gerry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back