Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Anyone ever used a 3g repeater? (I understand they are illegal so don't own up if you use your real name on the forum:Smile:) but a good one would really solve the problem of a weak 3G signal in a Motorhome, especially in France. I have an option to check one out, anyone already done so, if they are only half as good as the claims I have seen then they must be worth the £200 or so that they cost. Turning a one bar signal into a solid five bars.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Let's say you are at the bring and buy meet, notorious for a low signal. so no one can get on the net. ::bigsmile: Just extend the booster aerial, turn it on and everyone within 500 square metres would have a full strength data signal. Essentially they take a weak signal, amplify it and then re-broadcast it (the illegal bit) Most will handle 50 or so users at the same time. There must be a signal present, but it will boost even the weakest mobile phone signal from all the networks:thumb:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That's the legal one Graham, that takes signals from outside and brings them in. AFAIK it does not amplify or rebroadcast.

Right. I see now - I'd read it slightly differently. I see now that it simply transfers a signal from one point to a point up to 10 metres away.
You will receive x2 identical antennas, you will need to install. one outdoors where you have the best signal and connect it to the other indoors.
This Transfers all network providers and 3G signal. Vodafone, 02, T-Mobile, Orange, Tesco, Virgin and works on all phones including iphone
The mobile signal with then be transfered to the area with low signal. Simple and highty effective.
Note: If you have very low to no signal outdoors then this kit will not help.
Given that, I suppose that one end could be placed on top of a van (on the grounds that it would be too heavy to dangle from a flag poll in a poo bag :Smile:) with the other end at ground level, thus making the signal more easily available to all.

All we need do is find some [STRIKE]mug[/STRIKE] philanthropist with 160 quid to have a go ::bigsmile:

runner2011

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I don't think they are illegal. In fact Vodafone and O2 (for example) are now selling units which boost your 3G signal at home. Cant imagine this is any different unless it was an industrial or "Cell" type one that needs to be licensed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Is there a mobile unit amplifier that could be used for a mobile on the move.
I ask because last week I was in East Angier. We started in north Norfolk and ended in Woodbridge Suffolk. I really had difficulty using both 3 phone and dongle for the entire weekend. :cry:I had a signal but it wasn't useable.
My Orange phone was ok but nothing special.

runner2011

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Is there a mobile unit amplifier that could be used for a mobile on the move.
I ask because last week I was in East Angier. We started in north Norfolk and ended in Woodbridge Suffolk. I really had difficulty using both 3 phone and dongle for the entire weekend. :cry:I had a signal but it wasn't useable.
My Orange phone was ok but nothing special.

Haven't seen one which doesn't mean there isn't one. If you do find one it would have to be SIM free for it to be any use as you will never get 100% (or close to it despite what they tell us) from any provider.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back