Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Do people think it's a good idea to leave the handbrake OFF when laying up over winter?

If so, maybe this could be added to the download checklist?

I've heard/read horror stories of the brakes binding on and causing damage. :Eeek:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Never leave the handbrake on for any length of time what ever the time of year, I learned years ago the perils of such and wont leave it on more than a day unless absolutly neccasery, ie steap hill. In gear and chock the wheels if you're on any kind of incline:thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
My view is yes.............but I would say that the vehicle really should not be left for long periods without giving it a regular run, far enough to warm the engine thoroughly to prevent condensation in the oil and to keep all other parts like brakes, wheel bearings, tyres free and in good working order ready for the first outing:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
My view is yes.............but I would say that the vehicle really should not be left for long periods without giving it a regular run, far enough to warm the engine thoroughly to prevent condensation in the oil and to keep all other parts like brakes, wheel bearings, tyres free and in good working order ready for the first outing:Smile:

Totally agree with you - my only prior experience of winter layups is with boats, which are a little different! Fortunately my storage site is only 10 minutes away, so no problems with popping down say once a fortnight at least to give the MH a bit of a run out. Plenty of nice sunny days in winter for a trip out to the moors and a cup of tea. :Smile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Totally agree with you - my only prior experience of winter layups is with boats, which are a little different! Fortunately my storage site is only 10 minutes away, so no problems with popping down say once a fortnight at least to give the MH a bit of a run out. Plenty of nice sunny days in winter for a trip out to the moors and a cup of tea. :Smile:

I'm ever so jealous.....we love the moors:Cool:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
I leave the handbrake off and the vehicle in (1st or reverse) gear during times of lay-up. Had the rear brakes bind once and it took quite a bit of persuasion to get them to let go. :Doh:

John

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Laying up a motorhome for the Winter?

What's all that about then?:whatthe:

You don't know what you are missing! I can't think of anywhere which isn't nicer to visit once the herds of tourists have gone home!::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We keep our van on our drive, which is level, and never leave the handbrake on whatever the time of year. We also try to take it out every couple of weeks for a run if we have been unable to get away.

We even went to a seaside place a few miles away once and resisted the temptations of Mungle Jungle ::bigsmile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
At home, we never put the H/brake on, whatever time of year, always take the M/H for a run every fortnight ,if, we don't use it, and always the day after a rinse, Disc s rust up! take it for a run, clear the disc, even if just around the block.

We do however try to go away for a few days every month, during winter, more so in spring and summer.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
where mine is parked between two houses 4" gap each side

leave it there a week id need a crane or serious dismantling to get it out

as the parking space is flat i leave it in first climb out the 24"x24" flap at the back:thumb:

it also helps with the diet

linky Link Removed

Last edited:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The percieved wisdom with classic cars etc, was to leave handbrake off, and stick a bit of wood keeping the clutch down,......then came things like "Carcoon", a PVC bubble that your motor went in, zipped up , and it had its own little climate:Eeek:, not big enough for MH's though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back