Cam belt change: cost breakdown (1 Viewer)

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I have had motorhomes for 22 years in Weston super mare and have service and mot done at the mot centre unit 1 warne road, excellent service at a good price and they have lifts than can lift heavy vans. They won’t do the cam belt replacement so am having that done at Hutton’s.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Cam belt change is through the wheel arch. An a-class doesn't make that much difference for this job.
With reference to this, if an X250 2.3 Fiat, then there is a fair amount of work to do on the top of the engine if done properly, fact.

As with everything in life there are possible short cuts, and of course on some jobs problems arise, such as when changing the water pump the high pressure fuel pump is stuck in the housing.
If you have never physically carried out such tasks being an armchair mechanic certainly makes the task quicker, easier and cheaper.

Quick note, the 2.8 is very much easier and quicker to do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
With reference to this, if an X250 2.3 Fiat, then there is a fair amount of work to do on the top of the engine if done properly, fact.

As with everything in life there are possible short cuts, and of course on some jobs problems arise, such as when changing the water pump the high pressure fuel pump is stuck in the housing.
If you have never physically carried out such tasks being an armchair mechanic certainly makes the task quicker, easier and cheaper.

Quick note, the 2.8 is very much easier and quicker to do.
The guy that did mine barely did anything through the bonnet. Didn't take anything off the top like the lights. He just took the wheel off and ripped out the half-a-dustbin sized wheel arch liner. Seemed to do everything through there.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
The guy that did mine barely did anything through the bonnet. Didn't take anything off the top like the lights. He just took the wheel off and ripped out the half-a-dustbin sized wheel arch liner. Seemed to do everything through there.
The absolute minimum necessary to change a belt requires the top mountings of the belt cover to be released, to do that the coolant tank has to be moved, ideally with the headlight removed, if following the correct procedure then there are two plugs to be removed from the cam covers to allow the timing pins to be inserted.
To follow the recommended guidelines the lower front panel should also be removed to allow access to the radiator drain (if changing the water pump).
Whilst not strictly necessary to use the timing pins it is not possible to ensure the cam timing as correct with the new belt, pulleys and tensioners in place without them, if you were familiar with the correct procedure you would know what is required.
As previously mentioned there are always short cuts to achieving a required goal, whether they actually achieve the correct desired results are normally hit or miss, whether your trousers fit nicely or not.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
My local indi has quoted £450 for the cambelt, pulley and water pump change, plus £150 for a service and £39 for a MOT on my 2017 Euro 6 x290 PVC
I understand this is parts labour and VAT.
I'm Booked in in a fortnight

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I have had motorhomes for 22 years in Weston super mare and have service and mot done at the mot centre unit 1 warne road, excellent service at a good price and they have lifts than can lift heavy vans. They won’t do the cam belt replacement so am having that done at Hutton’s.
Ant idea why they won't do the cam belt?

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
Screenshot_20211029-060741_Samsung Internet.jpg

madroy

Free Member
Apr 23, 2018
Funster No
interesting ours is due its second change in February next and was in our local dealer by chance and asked for a price they stated just short of £800 , for which i gave them the required "thank you"! ill think about it!! NOT!
In France I paid just over a 1000e

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
Interestingly, another aside from the service manager - 'Whatever you do, don't get an A-class, they're usually impossible to work on'

Whether that's true or not I've no idea? :unsure: I have heard access can be a bit awkward on some models.

Hope you don't have any issues. (y)
Interesting-I have to be honest and say that access to the engine looks a lot easier on our Hymer Exsis than it did on our previous Autosleeper Warwick Duo-you could hardly check the oil on that without double jointed wrists…..

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just obtained two quotes for cam belt and water pump change

Fiat main dealer in Diss Norfolk £1089
Simpsons Motorhomes Norfolk. £1090

Van just over five years old with 10k on clock , seems early but must have peace of mind.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Van just over five years old with 10k on clock , seems early but must have peace of mind.
I reckon I'd have had to pay that, or more, if the water pump had been replaced.

The Fiat dealer indicated it wasn't necessary with only 16k miles on the clock. :unsure:

At least your 2 quotes were consistent! ;):giggle:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I reckon I'd have had to pay that, or more, if the water pump had been replaced.

The dealer indicated it wasn't necessary with only 16 k miles on the clock. :unsure:

I was hoping one was cheaper to try for a price match , no such luck but Simpsons are only a couple of miles away so very convenient.

Mrjenben

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis

As another comparison, earlier this year ours cost £1040 for belts, tensioners and water pump from HTC in Oxford (Fiat Professional dealer). Standard ltime for the job appears to be 5 hrs labour. The full cambelt kit including water pump is around £350.

BTW They had a bit of trouble doing ours as Hymer seem to glue the wheelarch liners in :-(

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
My independent garage charged me £180 exc VAT (£216 inc VAT) to supply timing belt kit and water pump, with £253.90 exc VAT (£304.68 inc VAT) labour to fit timing belt and waterpump on my x290 Globecar PVC yesterday.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

The Fiat dealer indicated it wasn't necessary with only 16k miles on the clock. :unsure:

I too am convinced that the water pump is NOT changed, the pulley maybe, my Fiat Professional mechanic states that 'unless there is an OBVIOUS problem, which is VERY RARE, leave it in situ. disturbing it MIGHT cause more problems '

For my cambelt/tensioner change last year, I was charged just under £1000

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I had a conversation about this with Huttons. When I asked how much etc, he said that later vans didn’t require the water pump replacing……but that was from it said on his screen as I don’t think he’s a mechanic / fitter. 🤔

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It is rare that a water pump needs replacing in most other vehicles in their normal lifetime so is it really likely to fail.
On the face of it the argument of change while doing the cam belt “just in case “ might well be a bump up of work for garages .

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
It is rare that a water pump needs replacing in most other vehicles in their normal lifetime so is it really likely to fail.
On the face of it the argument of change while doing the cam belt “just in case “ might well be a bump up of work for garages .
I’ve got a slight oil leak on my car. The Peugeot Dealer said, since we’re there we may as well do the cambelt and water pump as well…….on a car with 45000 miles on it! It’s only wet, not a real leak….£1200 plus…….it can stay as it is. (y)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I had a conversation about this with Huttons. When I asked how much etc, he said that later vans didn’t require the water pump replacing……but that was from it said on his screen as I don’t think he’s a mechanic / fitter. 🤔

My van is a 2007 X250 not what I would call a later van but.......and, yes, the cam belt kit shown is compatible, stick to Gates.
Just a tip, ALWAYS renew the stud holding the tensioner with a genuine part, these are rarely supplied with kit but only cost a few pounds.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
interesting ours is due its second change in February next and was in our local dealer by chance and asked for a price they stated just short of £800 , for which i gave them the required "thank you"! ill think about it!! NOT!
Going price for a Fiat Professional dealer and you get a two year warranty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back