lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
This was asked before and the answer was no cant remember why but think its something to do with angle of their lights.

Not much help really:ROFLMAO:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Not a single visitor to these shores bothers.......:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As I understand it most Europeans cars do not dip lights to the right, so their beams do not need correcting.

wkdtroll

Free Member
Jul 29, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
VW T5 Conversion
Exp
7 years
I know we have to have them when we go abroad, but does the same apply to visitors to the UK?

Yes they do - they sell the beam benders on the ferries for both lefthand and right hand drive vehicles. I had to put them on my MH as it was an import and had a devil of a job trying to get hold of them in this country!!:beerchug:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, but nobody from abroad worries about it! There's loads of foreign EU workers round here and I've never seen one of them with headlamp convertors!
They do sell them for foreigners on the ferry though, I've seen 'em!::bigsmile:

We have a set in our glovebox for trips abroad. We never travel in the dark, so in there they stay!

Oops monsieur, we forgot to fit them, here they are! ::bigsmile:

Saves a tenner a trip!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I know we have to have them when we go abroad, but does the same apply to visitors to the UK?

We had ours adjusted about 2 years ago to go to Europe.

Haven't changed them back though.

I think we are less "anal" than some of our European cousins.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As I understand it most Europeans cars do not dip lights to the right, so their beams do not need correcting.

When I lived in France I frequently came back to the UK in my French puchased left hand drive Ford Focus. I used to put my lights on the lowest setting on the button on the dash to avoid being "flashed" frequently.

You can see the beam move up to the right on dipped, same as ours in UK do to the left.

In saying that, I also had a UK RHD car whilst I lived there and a UK motorcycle. I never used beam deflectors on either, and never had any problems over the years, despite regular routine French Police stops to check documents etc, they never once mentioned my lights.:Cool:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Interesting reply from Jim regarding the op.

Iv'e found that whilst driving abroad the beam benders have been very helpful. I wouldn't like to drive at night in Europe without them.

Maybe a lot of people don't see the value in them because they don't drive at night.
Jim
:Smile:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We did 150,000 miles in Europe in our first van and 50,000 in the current van. We have never ever fitted anything to our headlights. We do have some masking tape in the drawer in the event that we get pulled over but it has never happened.

It might be a slightly mitigating factor that we are usually driving in summer with long nights and not that much in winter.

and... yes, I must admit, i've been flashed at 3 times by oncoming drivers.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
I had to replace the headlights on the Old Girl ( Merc 207d) a few years ago due to reflectors being very dull , ordered a pair from Germany came with RH dip glass so all I do now is to swop over glasses about 5min job :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back