Full timers where are you going to live when you get very old? (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Full timer i have a question.

My father has lived to be old and frail.

Now if you have sold all your property and goods and your main asset is a depreciation motor home what will you do when driving it becomes difficult or impossible if you have sold up totally?

My dad could not live in an RV.

Where and how will you live?

2escapees

Deleted User
Why worry? Just see what happens. There are lots of good rented housing available through Housing Associations for the elderly!

But if you do worry we found a community in France that has rented and O/O housing that provides full care from independent living to Hospice all on the same site. There is a similar scheme in York run by the Joseph Rowntree Trust it is excellent.

But hey don't you believe Gordon when he says he will look after you from cradle to grave????:ROFLMAO:

:thumb:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
It's just that another carer I know is having a hell of a time getting housed because they lived in Spain and have now come back with virtually no assets and they are not being offered social housing because they had broken the ties with the UK so to speak.

If you bus collapses or you get past driving if you have sold up i cant see things are that easy.

I for one know full well that if I didn't look after my dad he would have trouble getting the care he needs and he never left the country or a fixed address.

Full timing seems a relatively new thing and wondered if the age thing has ever come up?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Full timer i have a question.

My father has lived to be old and frail.

Now if you have sold all your property and goods and your main asset is a depreciation motor home what will you do when driving it becomes difficult or impossible if you have sold up totally?

My dad could not live in an RV.

Where and how will you live?

Interesting question John

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
:roflmto::roflmto:I have heard this question a number of times. Whether you live in an RV or in a house or in a residential home old age is often not the best time of your life.

However having a period fulltiming can well be that best period. Unless you miss out on it by worrying about old age of course:roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
If you hold onto to property you have something to fall back on.

But those of retirement age that set out full timing and sell up must have to consider how will they cope later on?

Surely when you become probably the most vunerable you will ever be because of old age it must be a concern with only a bus to live in?

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
You learn to speak a foreign language, don't wash for a month or two then turn up at Dover Docks claiming immigrant status! Allegedly you get a free new house, new furniture and lots of lovely free money - so I am told! :winky:

Course you could always (very accidentally) set fire to your old bus, claim you are penniless and let the local authorities house you. :cry:

Anon!

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
You learn to speak a foreign language, don't wash for a month or two then turn up at Dover Docks claiming immigrant status! Allegedly you get a free new house, new furniture and lots of lovely free money - so I am told! :winky:

This works but wont for you:Doh:

Course you could always (very accidentally) set fire to your old bus, claim you are penniless and let the local authorities house you. :cry:

Anon!

It just I know of a family it's not working for.

I am not knocking full timing at all but can see problems if you have no bricks and mortar to fall back on.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
you are looking at this through a blinkered view.

A friend of mine runs a residential home. The residents who do not have bricks and mortar get a better deal than those who own a house. Those that own a house get no financial support from the Govn. and that complicates matters.

But I believe that those of us who go fulltime do so for today not tomorrow. Call us irresponsible but I know that I have very few memories of my first three children's early years when I was working overtime to pay for a few bricks.

Somehow despite this I have managed to forge a good relationship with them and I have been blessed with a forth child. Fulltiming enable me to spend every day with her. I hear her first words, today I watched her today take her first photograph :Smile:- fantastic times.

But I am the first to say that fulltiming is not for many, and I would not want it to be :Smile::Smile::Smile:

stew

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
you are looking at this through a blinkered view.

A friend of mine runs a residential home. The residents who do not have bricks and mortar get a better deal than those who own a house. Those that own a house get no financial support from the Govn. and that complicates matters.

But I believe that those of us who go fulltime do so for today not tomorrow. Call us irresponsible but I know that I have very few memories of my first three children's early years when I was working overtime to pay for a few bricks.

Somehow despite this I have managed to forge a good relationship with them and I have been blessed with a forth child. Fulltiming enable me to spend every day with her. I hear her first words, today I watched her today take her first photograph :Smile:- fantastic times.

But I am the first to say that fulltiming is not for many, and I would not want it to be :Smile::Smile::Smile:

stew

R U of retire-able age Stew? because the question is when you get old:winky:

Your still working and running a business and your of an age where things can be adjusted to match the future.

It's people that are in their late 50s and 60s who are retiring and selling up that i have in mind with this thread :winky:

There must also come a time where you been there done that and travelling is no longer imperative

Last edited:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would think the best thing to do if you can afford it is to keep the cash of you house invest it well so it can still buy a house if required but make sure it is not accountable to you. Because I belive in this country you will get just a good a deal if you have nowt? Then at least that way you should have something to leave your kids as the govrment will not be able to wast it for you.

With the way house pices are not rising at the moment you could be better of with cash invested than bricks as well?

Richard...

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I know of an English family that went off to Spain and for health reasons (one is needing the partner to give full time care to the other) have come home with not a lot of money.

They are struggling to get any assistance whatsoever far less social housing.

From where I see it you dont just waltz into social housing or care if you have severed your ties here in the UK (refugees are a different story of course)

I get virtually zero back up caring for my father who is 86 and has Alzheimers and I have a home so it's just as well i dont need help or assistance.

I guess what I am trying to say do you intend to live in your motor home full time when you are 70/80/90? because people are living longer and if you sold up and been on the road for 10 years plus your investment will probably not have kept up with property prices if you have any saving at all.

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
I know of an English family that went off to Spain and for health reasons (one is needing the partner to give full time care to the other) have come home with not a lot of money.

This is a complicated thread, your initial question does NOT mention selling up at retirement age, although you throw this in later. Now you are focusing on an English couple who left the UK. You do not tell us whether they fulltimed in their motorhome there or whether they had property.

If you know anything about Spain you will know that they are clamping down on the use of the E11. They used to allow people medical assistance on an out of date E11 but they do not now. Sadly there are a lot of people who have got caught out by this and are trying to return to the UK for medical help but they are finding they cannot get it here either other than emergency treatment

However all of this has nothing to do with fulltiming so I am not really sure what we are meant to be discussing.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Alright then will you be living in your motor home when your 70/80/90 i.e. old & frial possibly because you have sold up and hit the road forever?

============================================================================

I would love to go on the road for a few years but my wife wont let me :cry:but would if I could the minute I am no longer needed as a carer :thumb:but would defiantly only do it if we could keep our home somehow (so this is not a dig at full timers):winky:::bigsmile:

BTW:- Stew good to see you active and posting here on Fun :winky::thumb:good being on both sides innit:winky::thumb:

Last edited:

jacken

Free Member
Dec 9, 2007
kent
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
8 years
One thing is certain. We are all going to end up in a home, with or without money. If you have money the government take it from you to pay your fees. If you have nothing, the government pay. I have just been through this exact experience with my mother in law. Enjoy it whilst you can, if not the government or nursing home will take it.

ken

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
One thing is certain. We are all going to end up in a home, with or without money. If you have money the government take it from you to pay your fees. If you have nothing, the government pay. I have just been through this exact experience with my mother in law. Enjoy it whilst you can, if not the government or nursing home will take it.

ken

Unless your scottish of course.
In my Job I often see those with money, house etc having to sell all they own to pay for their future care. I also see those with nothing moving in to the same homes as them with money, but not having to pay a penny cos they have nowt.

In my mind people need to do what they feel is right at the time. If I had the guts I would sell up and ship out tomorrow and I aint even 40 yet. Fair play to those that have. However I do think your question is a valid one as it is something people should consider. I think when taking full timing in to consideration a fund of 12-18 months rental money should come in to the occasion in case you need to come back in a hurry and rent somewhere.

M

maggiezx

Deleted User
re fulltimers

:Smile:
This works but wont for you:Doh:

It just I know of a family it's not working for.

I am not knocking full timing at all but can see problems if you have no bricks and mortar to fall back on.

hi to all re full times some dont choose this but like me out of work could not get dole no housing benfitt so i had no other way to live been full time 2 year work when there work live in lay by when no work when i can i go to site so 1 day they will have to help me

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi maggiezx, welcome to the fun:Smile: What Motorhome do you live in? Are you based in the UK?

M

maggiezx

Deleted User
re fulltimers

hi jim im in the uk south west i live in a compass van not long now im off looking forward 2 the warm weather

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
How about moving into a static van,, or even a boat??

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
:Smile:

hi to all re full times some dont choose this but like me out of work could not get dole no housing benfitt so i had no other way to live been full time 2 year work when there work live in lay by when no work when i can i go to site so 1 day they will have to help me

Hi and welcome Maggie.

Your situation is exactly what I was trying to say that a lot of people just don't waltz into social housing.

Glad you are fulltiming OK and hope to see you come to one of our meets as you'll be most welcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back