Hymer drop down bed question (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Van
Exp
13 yrs, caravan, motorhome
Hi, just bought this second hand Hymer. The canopy around the bed has some black marks on it. I would like to take it down and wash it.
How do I get it down, found sliders at the bottom but can't see how the top is fixed?
Is it worth it, will I be able to get it back?
Should I just try and sponge the marks off?

How do the rest of the curtains come off, I'd like to wash them too.

Has anyone ever replaced the mattress?

Our van is 9 years old and obviously looking a bit tired in some areas. (bit like me really).

Thanks for looking.
Sue :Smile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi, just bought this second hand Hymer. The canopy around the bed has some black marks on it. I would like to take it down and wash it.
How do I get it down, found sliders at the bottom but can't see how the top is fixed?

Our van is 9 years old and obviously looking a bit tired in some areas. (bit like me really).

Thanks for looking.
I used to have a RMB sonstige German motor home with drop down bed over the driver/passengers front seats
we changed the matterss with a new laytex mattress whilst in germany
i am sure you will find a new matteress in the UK just measure the length width and depth you require
we removed the old material curtains and bed sides work done by carAvan Link Removed

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Thanks for looking.

Hi Sue, canopy (do you mean the curtain that goes round the window when you drop the bed down).

Re the mattress, there is a company that goes to the motorhome shows that sells mattress topper, it may be a way to go instead of changing the whole mattress.
There are some good companies that will recover your van and new curtains from around £500.

Keep asking the questions thats what we are here for. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lifes2short
Sep 17, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Van
Exp
Hi Sue, canopy (do you mean the curtain that goes round the window when you drop the bed down).

Re the mattress, there is a company that goes to the motorhome shows that sells mattress topper, it may be a way to go instead of changing the whole mattress.
There are some good companies that will recover your van and new curtains from around £500.

Keep asking the questions thats what we are here for. :Smile:

Yes, I mean the cream coloured curtain directly around the bed. Have you ever taken it down?

We have a topper, will the weight and extra thickness be ok?
Thanks

Sue:Smile:

OP
OP
lifes2short
Sep 17, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium Van
Exp
I used to have a RMB sonstige German motor home with drop down bed over the driver/passengers front seats
we changed the matterss with a new laytex mattress whilst in germany
i am sure you will find a new matteress in the UK just measure the length width and depth you require
we removed the old material curtains and bed sides work done by carAvan Link Removed

Thank you for the web address I will keep that in my bookmarks for later.

Sue::bigsmile:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010

Thanks for looking.
Hi Sue
My drop down bed area was in a very poor condition when I acquired ownership and stripped down everything for cleaning From memory, the upper part of the enclosed canopy/tent is attached to the cab half way up After you detached /free the lower part of the canopy/tent from the bed frame (removed mattress first) You will then be able to pull/push the attached part of the tent away from the cab. Fitting in reverse order.
It would be an opportunity to check /clean the under mattress area and the nuts/bolts , dampers (signs of oil) one of the two was leaking oil I changed mine at the same time.
The mattress is one of the most comfortable one I had and in fact I sleep better in it than my own king size bed at home Then it might be just fresh air.
Good luck

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Yes, I mean the cream coloured curtain directly around the bed. Have you ever taken it down?

We have a topper, will the weight and extra thickness be ok?
Thanks

Sue:Smile:

Hi Sue, No we have not taken ours down, just gave it good vacum and wipe did not fancy taking all the screws out. They say the bed should take the weight of two 20stone people so should be ok with topper. Have to say our mattress is very comfortable although the van is 10years old now. but we do have a Sheepskin topper on it.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have recently bought our Hymer 584 A class with drop down bed above the dash, it is in good clean condition, but might try my matress topper to give me more confort on my back, put apart from that is very comfy, just had a week in France.

Apr 8, 2008
Snaith
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Nineteen years
Starting at one end it should pull out do not try to slide it out once started pull it along its length be carefull starting you do not pull the receiving channel away from the wall. To replace tap it back into the channel all the way round.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Starting at one end it should pull out do not try to slide it out once started pull it along its length be carefull starting you do not pull the receiving channel away from the wall. To replace tap it back into the channel all the way round.

Just stopped myself from liking and thanking a 3 year old thread again here

Useful answer, but what made you open such an old thread

The high number of read only and even a banned member made me look twice

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back