Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Dumb question time..

If a garage changed a cambelt on a Motorhome and they get ot wrong, how quickly will the owner know.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
As quick as the first try happens on saturday!:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I suspect it depends on how wrong they get it... one tooth out on the big cog might not be as bad as one tooth out on a little cog imo.

Much more than that and you would know straight away I guess...

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if they got it wrong they want to update their method of replacing belts.

once fitted the engine should be turned over TWO full revolutions BY HAND to check for clearance of valves and pistons THEN recheck timing marks.

get it wrong and it will let you know first turn of the key unless its just the injector pump a tooth or two out and it will be a bugger to start...if it starts.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
One of the symptoms is excessive smoke, or more smoke than before especially when accelarating under load.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Dumb question time..

If a garage changed a cambelt on a Motorhome and they get ot wrong, how quickly will the owner know.

AT THE FIRST TURN OF THE KEY or when they give you a bill for 2k telling you you needed a new engine ::bigsmile:It is possible for them to get the pump timing out by a tooth or two but as already said that causes smoke,lumpy running or not start
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:Smile: Turning over by hand would be no good if the engine has hydrolic tappet's :Smile:
sorry Brian, not so.

if the engine isnt running, a hydraulic tappet NOT on a cam lobe will retain its clearance....ie no pressure to force it closed.

if the belt timing is out by a tooth or two and the engine is turned that tappet will open the valve to the same extent as it would when the engine is running and the inlet valve would open either earlier than it should, so hitting the piston crown or later causing the exhaust valve to be still open slightly at the top of the piston stroke, so hitting the piston crown.

a tappet which was under a lobe, ie valve held open and tappet slightly compressed, may clear the piston on the next revolution even if the timing is out.

point being, at least a couple of valves will open early enough to hit the pistons when turned by hand hence best practise to turn by hand AND recheck timing marks once all slack has been eliminated before starting the engine. :thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you would know very quickly
i changed the belt on my old v6 vectra and i had one of the idler wheels slightly out.
as per fitting instructions lined all marks on the 4 cam wheels and crank wheel.
rotated engine by hand 10 revolutions and check for second marks on the belt for lining up.
the marks on the belt matched the marks on the wheels however the wheel marks didn't line up on the casing marks so a couple of hours later id got it sorted but if i had turned the key it would be a matter of seconds before it caused enough slip to destroy the valves.
after 10 revolutions of the engine the first 2 cams had effectively rotated backwards an 8th of a tooth not a great deal really a couple of degrees but at 800 rpm idle it would have gone backwards very quickly.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
If it was a Fiat Panda 1.2 you wouldnt have to worry as it is a "Fire" engine which is a none interfering engine so it wouldnt matter :winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If it was a Fiat Panda 1.2 you wouldnt have to worry as it is a "Fire" engine which is a none interfering engine so it wouldnt matter :winky:
very true, and there was no mention of what type of engine in the original post...petrol or diesel :Doh:

I doubt you'll find any diesels in the fire category though !

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:Getting really panicky over all these technical things that can go wrong with my van.... wish I was a man:Sad:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
:Sad:Getting really panicky over all these technical things that can go wrong with my van.... wish I was a man:Sad:
Hi joy

Don't get panicky,

just smile nicely and explain any situation and wait for the man to volunteer to do it for you.

Keep encouraging them ie, tell them how clever they are etc and then job done.

Lesley:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:Hi Lesley Jean, It's alright for you to say that ..... I'm not sitting naked in a glass of bubbly ..... they don't come flocking to ME.::bigsmile::winky:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile: No, Bob but just bought the biggest glass ever ... does my bum look big in this? :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back