Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Do you park up all winter, leave in storage, well not all vehicles are happy with that situation. Infrequent use caused the brake compensator on my sprinterbased motorhome to seize up (it was serviced and coated with copperslip for MOT last September) So the parking brake remained on when applied even though it was parked with handbrake off. Parked up for a month and that was enough it seems. Binding parking brake heated the brake drums, burnt out the shoes then finally cracked the drums, causing them to spread and provide an ineffective brake. So 2 new Rear drums and new parking brake shoes(twin wheels so big dismantle jobbie).
now I would have thought servicing once a year was sufficient to prevent the problem arising, it would seem not so keep those wheels aturning and keep using the brakes so that cylinders do not get a film of rust and seize up. These vehicles were designed for daily use I suppose I should not be surprised. Dragging brakes increase fuel consumption really not worth the hassle.
Thats the first massive bill, and got MOT next week so what else will need sorting I wonder.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its known as lazy motorhome syndrome Roger. when I was traveling summer and winter I rarely had any problems but since have done less traveling all sorts of things become apparent.
The simple answer is go away more.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just hope your ABS light does not come on Roger :Doh::Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
The Sprinter parking brake is c**p at the best of times so I'm not surprised that you didn't know it was seized on.

Mercedes made a design mistake and even have the brass neck to recommend that when parking on a slope, you chock the front wheel when unloaded and the back wheel when loaded. The chock is provided in the vehicle tool kit.

It reads like something from a 1920's vehicle handbook.

Pete:Cool:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Vans are like women, if left unattended for periods of time they get sulky and make life difficult:cry:

Always pay them a visit, give them love and attention, caress the moving parts and switch them on so the electrons flow, stroke their feet with a moving motion so they don't just sit in the same spot, put some socks (wheelsavers) to stop them getting corns (flat spots)

Get the blood circulating through the veins and all will be well for the honeymoon!

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry, What's an ABS light please? Joy

Hi Joy it is a light on the dash that says the automatic brakes are working correctly - the brakes still work like normal :thumb: but they have sensors to detect if one wheel is spinning faster than the others,then its brain will automatically slow the other wheels to stop the slide/skid etc :thumb:
You may remember the ford adds that showed the car driving around a tractor while braking ? normally you basically brake in a straight line and if you need to drive around something you have to let off the brake and re-apply it (Candice braking) or on ice brake -release -brake release etc,etc- Hope it is all as clear as mud now :thumb:::bigsmile:--See my MOT thread -Sensors on my van are £200 plus vat each -1 on each wheel :whatthe: proper head thrashing stuff :ROFLMAO:
terry

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Vans are like women, if left unattended for periods of time they get sulky and make life difficult:cry:

Always pay them a visit, give them love and attention, caress the moving parts and switch them on so the electrons flow, stroke their feet with a moving motion so they don't just sit in the same spot, put some socks (wheelsavers) to stop them getting corns (flat spots)

Get the blood circulating through the veins and all will be well for the honeymoon!

Peter

And by the sound of it, keep taking the Tabs::bigsmile:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Terry.