Recommend me a wireless reversing camera (1 Viewer)

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
I have removed the interior mirror (where my rear view monitor was mounted) of my mh as I found it too obtrusive and blocked out alot of the road, especially when travelling abroad.
I have also have a PWS rear chassis mounted scooter rack. Initially, I repositioned the rear view camera monitor, but all I can see now is the rack and scooter.
What I would like to do now is fit another camera and monitor. I intend using the racks lighting board rear light circuit so the camera is live when the lights are on. That way, I should be able to avoid the vehicle's canbus system.
I know that a hard wired camera would be better, but I would like a wireless one.
So, as the post suggests, can anyone please recommend me a wireless reversing camera?

Thanks,

Vic

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you are asking an almost impossible question. Wireless cameras were designed for much shorter cars they do not have the transmit range. A motorhome is really beyond the limits lengthwise for a reliable system. Not heard of one yet that works reliably, maybe this thread will pinpoint one, who knows. Good luck with your search.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Vic,

The range of wireless cameras is more than adequate for the very longest motorhome and when it works, it will work very well. The problem with most reversing cameras is that they use frequencies used for other things. mainly 2.4GHz . So your receiver will find lots of other stuff to pick up, namely Wifi, car alarms, bluetooth and even microwave ovens. This generally means the camera will suffer the interference just as you need it.

While wiring a system front to back might seem daunting I think it would be worth the effort/expense:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dunns

Free Member
Sep 13, 2011
newbury
Funster No
MH
swift 630G
Exp
10 years
there isnt such a thing as a good wirless camera set up ! I have tried lots and never found one and also bear in mind you still need to power it so the only difference is running the cable to the screen and with most motorhomes this is easy !

get a twin camera that way one can look up and the other down etc!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
No such thing! they're all rubbish!

The hardest bit is getting the cable from the camera, down to chassis level. You still have to do that to pick up power so you may as well then run a cable along the chassis and into the cab and do the job properly.

Loads of people that haven't thought it through simply pick 12 vdc at the back of the van, so the camera is transmitting all the time, and this flattens the battery when not on hook up.

So then they come up with the idea that they can pick the power up from the reversing light, which is fine if you only want the thing to come on when in reverse.

The term wireless is right in that they have less wires, but they are not wire free and the only bit of wire that is missing is the important bit:winky:

Eddie

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Guys, I looked at several wireless set ups but couldn't find one that gave me a clear picture. I settled for a hard-wired set up. The great news is that the monitor powers the camera(s) so there is no need to interfere with the canbus systems. Whilst trialling my installation I simply plugged into the 12volt accessory until I was happy with the camera position and then when I had the monitor in the best place for viewing I hard wired it into the interior light positioned right next to it.

The suppliers make up the cable(s) to your exact requirements (length). The monitor looks at the rear view permanent but switchable, and the reverse camera is either connected to the reverse switch or switched via the monitor. Bish Bosh simple.

It must be easy because I fitted it myself and I'm really chuffed with the outcome.

I can give you the precise details of the gear if nec', hope this is of use.:winky:

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Sorry your all wrong?

I have one, she is called Barb:loveyou:, allways out the door before im in
reverse,:Doh:

Even people in other vehicles stop when she hollers " STOP I told you
to --------g stop", dont you ever listen, wernt you looking in the mirror
when i waved?.

(standing where i cant see her, but she can be herd) ? my fault for not looking :Eeek:

Who needs high tech when you have low tech :thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
How much are these "Barbs"............is there any maintenance attached to owning one.

Is she switchable in other words can you turn her off, perhaps more importantly can you turn her on, with acceptable results I mean.

Be interested in the response.... do you have pictures of a typical "Barb"?

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
How much are these "Barbs"............is there any maintenance attached to owning one.

Is she switchable in other words can you turn her off, perhaps more importantly can you turn her on, with acceptable results I mean.

Be interested in the response.... do you have pictures of a typical "Barb"?

Barbs are priceless and one offs, but i have herd? of the same models
going by differing names.

upkeep is extortinate, but the payback is worth the outlay usually:thumb:

Apparently you dont know if they are switched on or off untill you speak
to them:Eeek:, so be careful how you pick your words:RollEyes:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Obviously she reads your Posts...........and I see you are just up the road from me.

Are there ever any meets down our way?

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
Obviously she reads your Posts...........and I see you are just up the road from me.

Are there ever any meets down our way?

Hi griff, your right there she does have a look sometimes.

We are in Eastleigh often down your way going to witterings area

As for meets shepton mallet show is worth going to, there is also this one not to far away fishing meet--october 14th--17th look in the forums
for full details, im working then but will go as soon as we can to the next one, hope to get to a meet soon as would be good to put faces to names

going to new forest this weekend there is a show on at brockenhurst dont know if any other funsters will be there?

Hope to catch up sometime cheers.

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
You can make it a bit easier on yourself if you are doing a self install. The camera can be fitted behind the rear skirt. Just because some of them are at high level doesn't make it better. Behind the skirt the wiring run could be easier than trying to get the cable down from the top of the van.Cable can be run under the vehicle to the front.Two hours to do it on ours.Had to bracket the camera to allow it to see the road behind.This way you get the number plate of the car that rear ends you!!!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A high mounted camera gives you a super veiw of the road when driving and is less prone to getting covered in dirt. I can seee over and beyond my trailer when towing, if it was actually at roof level I could see over a caravan when towing with the motorhome. I can also alter the angle so as to point at my towbar for trailer positioning and tight parking.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
pervert alert...pervert alert:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back to the subject, Ive fitted a few systems to trucks......".wireless" as has been said, can be interfered with by almost everything else....even kit on the truck!
A wired system, is easy to fit, with a bit of care, there should be no joins, no place for water to get in anywhere, and fitting is more than within the capability of a basic DIY'er.

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
I had a wireless system fitted but switched to a wired system due to interference

The funniest interference the monitor received was driving along the sea front at Swanage in Dorset the local CCTV traffic cameras used the same frequency so I got a picture of my MH driving along :Eeek:

also used to pickup video senders from houses Sky etc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back