Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
As my newly purchased MH has only done 13,500 miles I thought that there was no need to check with the previous owner whether the timing belt had been changed.

I have just read in another post, however, that it is wise to change the belt every 5 years regardless of mileage. :whatthe: The MH is 2002, so 9 years old, so I'm a bit concerned. I'll contact the previous owner and ask if it's been changed, but would appreciate some expert advice - is it true that it should be changed periodically regardless of mileage? If so, is 5 years reasonable?

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
I would change it. Can't rely on previous owner saying it has been changed. Fact that the vehicle has sat doing nothing for weeks at an end, doesn't make the belt last longer.

Upvote 0

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
I had my belt changed at 6 years ( not for mileage ) but for age ( early 2004 reg ) 2.00Ltr Hdi Peugeot
I would check with the previous owners if I were you, as it's not worth taking the risk.......
If you get the belt changed make sure you get a new tensioner kit fitted at the same time, as these can also fail....
Some would also recommend that the waterpump is changed at the same time when the cambelt is off, but in my view providing there is no sign of a leak etc where do you stop?....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have a 2006 boxer with about 16k on the clock and will be getting it done with annual service in March. Asked the garage this year he advised getting it done next year even though its not due.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, I think that Most manufacturers recommend every five years as well, irrespective of mileage. As above, simply standing around has an adverse effect on the belt. Compared with the cost of the repair, it is simply not worth the risk

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Go for it Mate, for a couple hundred quid the peace of mind is unbeleivable:thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
mileage AND age are to be taken into account for cambelt change..

the mileage varies between vehicles makes and engines within their range.

80,000mls OR 4 to 5 years is average.

£200/£300 for a belt change or around £1300/£1500 to rebuild it if it snaps.

when replacing the belt also renew the tensioner and idler pully's at the same time, and, for the sake of another £30/£40, if the water pump is driven from the cambelt then change that at the same time...if the pump fails later it means removing the cambelt yet again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

I've organised the belt change for next week, and will ensure the tensioner is done at the same time. Not so sure about the water pump, as has been said, how far do you go? I'll get a price for it and if it is only (!) about £40.00 I'll probably get it done, but I'm not really sure it's necessary - unlike the belt which I can understand may deteriorate through time regardless of use, I don't see why the water pump shouldn't be perfectly OK after only 13,500 miles. Or can that too "wear out" just sat doing nothing?

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

I've organised the belt change for next week, and will ensure the tensioner is done at the same time. Not so sure about the water pump, as has been said, how far do you go? I'll get a price for it and if it is only (!) about £40.00 I'll probably get it done, but I'm not really sure it's necessary - unlike the belt which I can understand may deteriorate through time regardless of use, I don't see why the water pump shouldn't be perfectly OK after only 13,500 miles. Or can that too "wear out" just sat doing nothing?

As you haven't said what your base vehicle is and engine size and type, specific information can not be given, your water pump may or may not be driven by the timing belt as John said
In answer to you water pump wearing out standing, in the true sense of the word No, BUT the seals go brittle, bearings corrode, and after standing a water pump can and often does start leaking on its first journey, if bearings are rough they can collapse and that in itself will destroy the new belt along with the engine. all scary stuff that, garages are often accused of scaremongering to get more dosh out of you, if they don't mention it there accused of failing to notify you of possible future problems:RollEyes:
Damned if we do Damned if we don't
As the customer it will as always be your call:winky:
Geo
Best practice is to very carefully check for any staining around the pump pulley areas and turn pump by hand feeling for roughness or tight spots if found change pump also

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Sad:As someone who doesn't even know what a timerbelt is, do we get some kind of warning before one goes? Does a dashboard light show up, or the engine shudder or stop or what please? Sorry to be a dumbo.:Blush:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
As you haven't said what your base vehicle is and engine size and type, specific information can not be given, your water pump may or may not be driven by the timing belt as John said
In answer to you water pump wearing out standing, in the true sense of the word No, BUT the seals go brittle, bearings corrode, and after standing a water pump can and often does start leaking on its first journey, if bearings are rough they can collapse and that in itself will destroy the new belt along with the engine. all scary stuff that, garages are often accused of scaremongering to get more dosh out of you, if they don't mention it there accused of failing to notify you of possible future problems:RollEyes:
Damned if we do Damned if we don't
As the customer it will as always be your call:winky:
Geo
Best practice is to very carefully check for any staining around the pump pulley areas and turn pump by hand feeling for roughness or tight spots if found change pump also

Thanks, Geo.

The base vehicle is a Peugot Boxer, 2.0 litre turbo. I asked the previous owner about the timing belt and he said he'd had it "looked at" at its service last January and it was OK - but as I've said I'm getting that done definitely. I'll ask the mechanic to undertake the checks you've suggested on the water pump if it is driven by the same belt, and replace if he thinks advisable.

I'm beginning to appreciate that routine maintenance for a motorhome is somewhat different to that for a "normal" vehicle, for which most of the decisions on when to change things on a preventative basis are taken on mileage. I now know about the timing belt, and I'm also aware that with the tyres it's not just a case of tyre wear - is there anything else I should be thinking of getting done on an age basis (9 years) rather than mileage (13,500 miles)? It has been serviced every year from new ( I have the stamped up service history) :Confused:

Upvote 0

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
:Sad:As someone who doesn't even know what a timerbelt is, do we get some kind of warning before one goes? Does a dashboard light show up, or the engine shudder or stop or what please? Sorry to be a dumbo.:Blush:

Engine goes BANG without any warning :Eeek:

The pistons hit the valves and wreck the engine, its either a replacement engine or expensive rebuild up to about 5k depending on vehicle etc :Eeek::Eeek:

so if in any doubt about timing belt get it checked :thumb:

Upvote 0

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Imagine the engine in two halves, top half with loads of things in it going up and down, bottom half with loads of bigger things in it going up and down. The timing belt is a rubber best that works off the bottom thing, and makes the top thing turn, it obviously makes the tnings turn "in turn" so they keep apart. When it breaks, they all meet, valves punch their way through piston tops on some engines, valve trains get ruined on most,other serous damage occurs depending on the age/speed/wear on the engine at the time.
If it ever happened to me, on say, a 2.8jtd engine, I would probably go for a recon engine rather than entrust a rebuild to a rebuilder.
Do the belt sooner rather than later, short runs and stop starts also have an affect on belt life, at least if you do it, you wont kick yourself for years if it did fail.
TOP TIP, if you do decide to change the water pump "just in case", clean the old one, get an old paintbrish and coat it liberally with vaseline (i know youve got some::bigsmile:) inside and out, then put it in a bag and cable tie it to store in your MH toolbox or wherever. It'll come in handy one day if your water pump goes in "outer bonga bonga".

Upvote 0

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp

Nope!...You get no warning !!!!....other than a knackered engine after the event! ::bigsmile:
That's why it's prudent to stick to the manufacturers schedule for timing belt change!
To have belt and tensioners changed is a lot cheaper than fixing a broken engine!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

no warning whatsoever Joy.

instant lose of power just as if you'd turned the ignition off when driving. :Eeek:

and a very large repair bill :cry:

there was a member some time ago had to buy a factory replacement engine while touring in france.....11000 euro's

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
OK, OK, I get the message! :thumb:

Rosie is booked in for new belt (and braces?) tensioner, and water pump next Tuesday. Been quoted £250 for the job - seems reasonable?

Upvote 0

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
OK, OK, I get the message! :thumb:

Rosie is booked in for new belt (and braces?) tensioner, and water pump next Tuesday. Been quoted £250 for the job - seems reasonable?

£250 seems very reasonable I would say..... At least you will have some 'peace of mind' when out and about on your travels!... Although nothing in life is 100% guaranteed as you will know..........

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
£250 vs a new engine seems good value I think.
From someone who didn't know what a timing belt was or does, other from knowing there is dire damage if it snaps, I've found all your replies very helpful--thanks.
Looking at a m/home for sale in Bordeaux and just asked the question when was timing belt changed--18 months and 12000 kms ago so guess that's OK.

Engines scare me!!!

Upvote 0

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
cambelt

I have avantgarde 200 2003 model 17500miles same engine as yours i think, anyway i asked the same
question back in June, all advice from funsters and others was the same, get it changed,
Cost was £255, money well spent methinks(peace of mind).We went off to France in July touring for two weeks and never gave it a thought. Sounds like you are in same position i was back then, get it changed and rest easy.
good luck:thumb:

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Garage advice

I am in a similar place. Recently purchased an Avantgarde 400. 17900 on the clock, 2003 model. I asked my local garage for a price to change the timing belt. Initially they were questioning the need to change it as it should be good for 80,000 or 10 years. After I explained about it having driven very few miles in the last couple of years they agreed that it would be a wise thing to do but not essential. I am going to get it changed as it will help to give peace of mind. When these belts sit in the same place without moving the rubber can start to degrade and go through a " second cure " hardening in some of the places. This leads to cracking and failure. It would probably be easier to predict the lottery than predict exactly when a belt will go though, and possibly need to win it to pay for repairs. Safest option is if in doubt, change it out.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We had our 2006 very low mileage MH done last year. After reading about the 5 year rule on here.
Ralph said it looked fine , as he was with the mechanic ( so did the mechanic BTW). He said to go ahead anyway , just in case.
Once off , when they looked closely at the belt, there were cracks and hardening in several places. :Eeek:
If you have the spare cash , and know its not been done for over 6 years , get it done. Peace of mind , and a lot cheaper than repairing the damage caused if it goes BANG:whatthe:

Upvote 0

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
I have a Renault 2006 2463 cc done 33,000 miles having my cambelt changed tomorrow ( Thurs) 4.5 hrs labour price £ 311.72 incl vodka and tonic best be safe v new engine

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I am in a similar place. Recently purchased an Avantgarde 400. 17900 on the clock, 2003 model. I asked my local garage for a price to change the timing belt. Initially they were questioning the need to change it as it should be good for 80,000 or 10 years. After I explained about it having driven very few miles in the last couple of years they agreed that it would be a wise thing to do but not essential. I am going to get it changed as it will help to give peace of mind. When these belts sit in the same place without moving the rubber can start to degrade and go through a " second cure " hardening in some of the places. This leads to cracking and failure. It would probably be easier to predict the lottery than predict exactly when a belt will go though, and possibly need to win it to pay for repairs. Safest option is if in doubt, change it out.

Belt changed last week. Garage doesn't normally do MH's but for the Boxer side of things I'm sure they will be fine as they do vans etc. Just over £200. Anyone in the N East of Scotland wants to use them PM me for details.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
As my newly purchased MH has only done 13,500 miles I thought that there was no need to check with the previous owner whether the timing belt had been changed.

I have just read in another post, however, that it is wise to change the belt every 5 years regardless of mileage. :whatthe: The MH is 2002, so 9 years old, so I'm a bit concerned. I'll contact the previous owner and ask if it's been changed, but would appreciate some expert advice - is it true that it should be changed periodically regardless of mileage? If so, is 5 years reasonable?
for the peace of mind get it changed it is not worth the risk if one goes youl be looking for a new engine
if in doubt replace every time if cost puts you off then you need to think should you have a MH they do cost a lot of up keep :Eeek:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Belt changed last week. Garage doesn't normally do MH's but for the Boxer side of things I'm sure they will be fine as they do vans etc. Just over £200. Anyone in the N East of Scotland wants to use them PM me for details.
sounds very cheap Gordon.

ask if they fitted a new tensioner and idler pulley as well......with a new belt fitted, and properly tensioned, these items can also fail if not renewed at belt change.
a quality belt (OE or Gates etc) and pulleys will be over £100

false economy not to change them for the sake of another 40 quid or so

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back