Sog vent leaking on roof of n+b smove. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
Took our 2018 smove back to travelworld today to have a few jobs done under warranty as we have only had it 3 months.
On the way someone kindly pointed to our bedroom skylight and said it was flapping open we shut it and asked the technicians to check for any issues when we arrived at Stafford.
Thankfully we did , as they noticed a wet patch on the ceiling which is lined with pads , wet not damp !
Later on in the day after they had fixed the other defects they told us it was the sog pipe filter in the roof that was leaking and this had caused the water ingress into the habitation ceiling.
Firstly I had no idea the sog filtered out of the roof and that it was a potential leak hazard.
On looking up sogs I queried if indeed there was a sog why I had never heard a fan when the toilet is in use as most appear to have one.
I was told I have a half sog 🤷‍♀️
So my question is really this , is this a common occurrence? why would you have a hole in the roof for venting that will also allow water in ?, is the damp which is now in the ceiling always going to be a problem ?
We were supposed to leave for the alps on Saturday but were advised against and to bring it back in December for a week.
To the member of staffs credit she could see our dilemma and dispatched us home in a Fiat panda with the promise they would try to fix it or bodge it by Friday.
Any thoughts please ?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I’m sorry, I can do nothing but wish you a great time in the alps, enjoy, hope everything works out for you🤞👍👍

OP
OP
Minnie
Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
Took our 2018 smove back to travelworld today to have a few jobs done under warranty as we have only had it 3 months.
On the way someone kindly pointed to our bedroom skylight and said it was flapping open we shut it and asked the technicians to check for any issues when we arrived at Stafford.
Thankfully we did , as they noticed a wet patch on the ceiling which is lined with pads , wet not damp !
Later on in the day after they had fixed the other defects they told us it was the sog pipe filter in the roof that was leaking and this had caused the water ingress into the habitation ceiling.
Firstly I had no idea the sog filtered out of the roof and that it was a potential leak hazard.
On looking up sogs I queried if indeed there was a sog why I had never heard a fan when the toilet is in use as most appear to have one.
I was told I have a half sog 🤷‍♀️
So my question is really this , is this a common occurrence? why would you have a hole in the roof for venting that will also allow water in ?, is the damp which is now in the ceiling always going to be a problem ?
We were supposed to leave for the alps on Saturday but were advised against and to bring it back in December for a week.
To the member of staffs credit she could see our dilemma and dispatched us home in a Fiat panda with the promise they would try to fix it or bodge it by Friday.
Any thoughts please ?
I’m sorry, I can do nothing but wish you a great time in the alps, enjoy, hope everything works out for you🤞👍👍
Thanks for your concern and good wishes. Much appreciated
!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Surely you either have a SOG or you don’t.
Never heard of a 'half SOG'.
You should have a flexible pipe connected to your cassette which runs up to the roof via a fan.
It's only air that goes up the pipe so if there is water ingress it must mean the small outlet ‘chimney' hasn’t been fitted correctly.

Richard.

OP
OP
Minnie
Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
You should have a flexible pipe connected to your cassette which runs up to the roof via a fan.
It's only air that goes up the pipe so if there is water ingress it must mean the small outlet ‘chimney' hasn’t been fitted correctly.

Richard.
Yes wasn’t sure what a half sog could be. Was told there is no fan.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
My Hymer has a vent to the roof but no fan, you have to pull the corrugated pipe off the cassette before you can remove it. But no leaks so far, touch wood.

OP
OP
Minnie
Aug 27, 2018
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and B Smove
Exp
Since 2018
My Hymer has a vent to the roof but no fan, you have to pull the corrugated pipe off the cassette before you can remove it.
Thanks for that info. Probably the same with ours then.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Typical useless TW, roof outlet SOG's don't have a filter, the fan will be in line with the pipe probably behind a cupboard back. The fan isn't much bigger than the pipe diameter.
The leak sounds like the roof vent hasn't been fitted correctly.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My Hymer has a vent to the roof but no fan, you have to pull the corrugated pipe off the cassette before you can remove it. But no leaks so far, touch wood.
Hymer don't fit roof vented SOG's unless you did it yourself like I did.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

Richard.
Hi Richard, does yours have a SOG? Just curious as mine has one which runs up through the roof and wondered if it was a Carthage thing or the previous owner has fitted it, and yes there is a fan which fires up when you move the blade👍

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Our N&B Arto had similar but also had an inline fan. But yes the bit to the roof is basically a little chimney, hard to see how it could be in wrong unless they re also using lighter sealant these days.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Hymer don't fit roof vented SOG's unless you did it yourself like I did.
Well i guess a previous owner could have fitted it but it looks like an oem fixture to me, and unless the fan is in the roof it does not appear to have one.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Richard, does yours have a SOG? Just curious as mine has one which runs up through the roof and wondered if it was a Carthage thing or the previous owner has fitted it, and yes there is a fan which fires up when you move the blade👍
Yes, standard fitting on the C- Line.
The fan is behind a panel in the corner cabinet in the washroom.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back