Cam belt change: cost breakdown (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just in case it is of interest, I thought I'd detail the cost of having the cam belt changed on our five years and four months old Ducato X290 PVC.

It's the first time I've had to stump up for the job, which I understand is supposed to be done at 5 years regardless of mileage, which in our case is very low. In fact, for various reasons, including hardly used since the pandemic, it's only covered 16k miles.

I asked our local Fiat dealer - Huttons, of Weston-super-Mare - who does all of the base servicing on the van, to carry out the swap. And of course I knew it would be expensive. The job was done on Friday.

Job
Remove and renew cambelt, tensioners and auxiliary belt - 3.5 hours labour - £280

Parts
Fiat part no: 71736716 - Camshaft Drive Set - £191.36
Fiat part no: 5802102136 - Trans belt - £19.24
Fiat part no: 500388408 - Trans belt - £23.13
TOTAL Parts - £233.73

TOTAL JOB - (labour and parts) - £513.73 + 20% VAT £102.75 = £616.48

On the one hand a slightly frustrating expense, when the van has such low mileage (my fault), but on the other hand not too unreasonable, given it was a Fiat main dealer. No idea what others will think? Oh and the garage suggested not replacing the water pump because the mileage is so low?

In addition, I also had to pay for an MOT, which thankfully it passed with flying colours and no advisories. (y)

Just as an aside, our previous 2010 Ducato X250 I traded for this van just after its fifth birthday, and mentally knocked at least £500 off the cost of upgrading to the current van because I hadn't had to pay for the cam belt change. ;) But this one's a keeper... for now! :giggle:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
interesting ours is due its second change in February next and was in our local dealer by chance and asked for a price they stated just short of £800 , for which i gave them the required "thank you"! ill think about it!! NOT!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
In 2017, I took my previous 2007 Ducato to a well rated but VERY independent garage in the backstreets of Digbeth, Birmingham. The van had done 55k miles and there was no record of the belt being changed. I turned up to pick the van up next day and they hadn't even started. I watched as an old and very grimy bloke with ill fitting trousers changed the belt, tensioners and water pump through the wheel arch in less than 90 minutes. Cost me £350. The van ran fine for the next 4 years and 25k miles when I sold it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Sounds reasonable to me for main dealer. It's about what I paid for my Volvo Cambelt recently but that included a new tensioner pully and of course at their suggestion that the water pump belt was changed as well as it had to be removed anyway which made sence. I appreciate different engine but most have similar setups. If the Fiat has the same setup would they not have replaced both belts?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
In 2017, I took my previous 2007 Ducato to a well rated but VERY independent garage in the backstreets of Digbeth, Birmingham. The van had done 55k miles and there was no record of the belt being changed. I turned up to pick the van up next day and they hadn't even started. I watched as an old and very grimy bloke with ill fitting trousers changed the belt, tensioners and water pump through the wheel arch in less than 90 minutes. Cost me £350. The van ran fine for the next 4 years and 25k miles when I sold it.
Yip I can do mine in abut 90 min and my trousers don't fit me either :rofl:
Bill

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I would always get the water pump replaced. Had a 1997 Renault Espace, not especially high mileage around 50k and at that point around 8 years old so it's second change out using an independent where I knew the owners as friends as well as the business, they didn't routinely swap the pump at that time. Next trip out and at Poole Ferry terminal as I was about to pull away from the check in kiosk they said what is that green water under your car :(

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds reasonable to me for main dealer. It's about what I paid for my Volvo Cambelt recently but that included a new tensioner pully and of course at their suggestion that the water pump belt was changed as well as it had to be removed anyway which made sence. I appreciate different engine but most have similar setups. If the Fiat has the same setup would they not have replaced both belts?
Yes, I believe they have - if you take a close look at the parts list - there are two 'trans belts' included, additional to the camshaft drive set.

Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Yes, I believe they have - if you take a close look at the parts list - there are two 'trans belts' included, additional to the camshaft drive set.
Agreed, looks like they have which is good. Should our van ever arrive Huttons looks like our closest Fiat Professional garage.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We had a recall on our rollerteam 690 for a problem with cambelt and had it done for free about 2 months ago (5 years old exactly)
May have helped in getting back exactly what we paid for it on a P/EX !

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I bet he'd done a few in his time!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Cheap cos he's part time there
Works Full time at Huttons, of Weston-super-Mare Fiat main dealer. :rofl:

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Just had a quote from another fiat commercial place.... £1100.

They claim £650 for parts and 6 hours labour..
😲
Interestingly, the service agent told me Fiat allow 4 hours for the job, but they usually struggle to do it in that time.

I said, remember I'm a good longstanding customer, so take it easy on the billing. ;)

Anyway, as stated in the original post, I was actually charged for 3.5 hours labour.

Now I've no idea if your quote, or the 'Fiat 4 hours' was supposed to include fitting a new water pump - which I didn't have. (y)

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Just in case it is of interest, I thought I'd detail the cost of having the cam belt changed on our five years and four months old Ducato X290 PVC.

It's the first time I've had to stump up for the job, which I understand is supposed to be done at 5 years regardless of mileage, which in our case is very low. In fact, for various reasons, including hardly used since the pandemic, it's only covered 16k miles.

I asked our local Fiat dealer - Huttons, of Weston-super-Mare - who does all of the base servicing on the van, to carry out the swap. And of course I knew it would be expensive. The job was done on Friday.

Job
Remove and renew cambelt, tensioners and auxiliary belt - 3.5 hours labour - £280

Parts
TOTAL Parts - £233.73

On the one hand a slightly frustrating expense, when the van has such low mileage (my fault), but on the other hand not too unreasonable, given it was a Fiat main dealer. No idea what others will think? Oh and the garage suggested not replacing the water pump because the mileage is so low?

In addition, I also had to pay for an MOT, which thankfully it passed with flying colours and no advisories. (y)

Just as an aside, our previous 2010 Ducato X250 I traded for this van just after its fifth birthday, and mentally knocked at least £500 off the cost of upgrading to the current van because I hadn't had to pay for the cam belt change. ;) But this one's a keeper... for now! :giggle:
Thats a very good price Mike thanks for posting. I'll give them a shout next year when mine is due (y)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I would always get the water pump replaced. Had a 1997 Renault Espace, not especially high mileage around 50k and at that point around 8 years old so it's second change out using an independent where I knew the owners as friends as well as the business, they didn't routinely swap the pump at that time. Next trip out and at Poole Ferry terminal as I was about to pull away from the check in kiosk they said what is that green water under your car :(
I think others have advised not to bother with water pump on ducato as it's a reliable robust part, unlike VW and Renault plastic ones. Quite expensive as well I believe.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Job

Parts
TOTAL Parts - £233.73

Now that is a decent price

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Mine is booked into Hutton’s at Weston super mare in 2weeks time had 2 previous vans done there as well always get good service from them.

The jury is still out on Hutton’s with us…..they’re about 5 miles from us.

Because the van did less than 4000 miles in its first year, we went with Fiat’s recommendation of a minor service.

£204 for what turned out to be an oil change. Tyre pressure box ticked as done……impossible, my Tyrepal valves with not disturbed and they didn’t know / ask what pressures I was running at. Big oily boot marks on my cab carpets.

I said I needed to wait, got there at opening time, done inside 45 minutes……they put two Technicians on it to get it done quicker. 🤷‍♂️

I put this on their customer feedback form they sent me……..nothing. Not even a phone call.

Next years 2 year service they’ve quoted me over £400.

Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
The jury is still out on Hutton’s with us…..they’re about 5 miles from us.

Because the van did less than 4000 miles in its first year, we went with Fiat’s recommendation of a minor service.

£204 for what turned out to be an oil change. Tyre pressure box ticked as done……impossible, my Tyrepal valves with not disturbed and they didn’t know / ask what pressures I was running at. Big oily boot marks on my cab carpets.

I said I needed to wait, got there at opening time, done inside 45 minutes……they put two Technicians on it to get it done quicker. 🤷‍♂️

I put this on their customer feedback form they sent me……..nothing. Not even a phone call.

Next years 2 year service they’ve quoted me over £400.
Your points noted. However a main dealer service for £400 is not bad if is done well and as per Fiat requirements for the age/mileage for the vehicle.
I note Huttons also include free roadside assistance for 12 months included as part of their service, but the devil will be in the detail of course.
With my Volvo main dealer service, free Roadside Assistance and Recovery Europewide is included for 12 months which includes Hotel fees and repatriation to UK for vehicle and passengers which has received good feedback on the Volvo Forums. Thats quite a saving so on balance the Service cost might look more favourable. Would be interesting to get more detail on the cover offered by Huttons/Fiat should anyone know.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Your points noted. However a main dealer service for £400 is not bad if is done well and as per Fiat requirements for the age/mileage for the vehicle.
I note Huttons also include free roadside assistance for 12 months included as part of their service, but the devil will be in the detail of course.
With my Volvo main dealer service, free Roadside Assistance and Recovery Europewide is included for 12 months which includes Hotel fees and repatriation to UK for vehicle and passengers which has received good feedback on the Volvo Forums. Thats quite a saving so on balance the Service cost might look more favourable. Would be interesting to get more detail on the cover offered by Huttons/Fiat should anyone know.

Free Roadside Assistance, not a comprehensive offer really. Haven’t looked to see if that stretches to Continental cover as I always ensure I am covered comprehensively.

If a garage misses the basics or states they’ve done the basics and not done them, it doesn’t in still confidence in me.

https://www.huttons-fiat.co.uk/pages/service (y)

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Thats a very good price Mike thanks for posting. I'll give them a shout next year when mine is due (y)
Interestingly, another aside from the service manager - 'Whatever you do, don't get an A-class, they're usually impossible to work on'

Whether that's true or not I've no idea? :unsure: I have heard access can be a bit awkward on some models.

Hope you don't have any issues. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back