Help buying Chausson on Transit (2 Viewers)

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Hi,
New to the forum and considering buying a Chausson Flash 14, 09 reg on a transit base.
Really like the van but not too sure about the Transit base, any opinions would be welcome. I have read a few things about fuel economy on transits generally not sure what they are like on this model. Any other issues re transit?
Thanks

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our Chausson Welcome 35 on a RWD, 2.4 140hp 3850kg chassis does 25mpg approx.
My work van, a FWD 2.2 85hp SWB, will do 36mpg.
I reckon a low profile would do somewhere between those figures.

I can't comment on reliability of our MH, it has only covered 6500 miles so far!

As for the Transit in general, it drives well, is well equipped and doesn't judder in reverse!
In 110,000 miles, my 57-plate FWD van has had an EGR valve, a power steering pipe and a front damper, all covered by warranty at time of failure. The only other stuff has been tyres and brakes, and two rear leaf springs. This van is constantly loaded near to its max gross weight.

You should be happy with one!

Oh! And the radio stays on for a whole hour before it powers down, not 20 mins as on a Fiat/ Peugeot!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Cheers for the reply some helpful comments, 30mpg would be fine, if I could achieve that.
Any other comments would be very welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Kelpbeds and welcome to the forum.
Personally I think you would be wise to put your effort in to ensuring the layout will work for you.
Nearly all base vechile's are much the same, reliable, solid and do the job. I personally do not like the transit, but for nothing more than I don't really like fords. However My brother in law has one and enjoys it and swears by it.

If you like the layout then go for it, although before you do, something springs to mind, How tall are you? have you tested it? I seem to remember the transit being a problem if you are over a certain height. could be wrong but check it out.

oh and good luck with your purchase :thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have had 2 Transit based motorhomes, first was a low profile 08 was so happy with it that when I had to change went for another low profile Ford.

Regarding MPG first averaged 35Mpg during its life with us with no effort and the new one seems about the same so far.

tonywolst

Free Member
Jul 22, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Having been in the motor trade for most of my working life I would only buy a Ford witch I did, and I average 30.3mpg, When looking at cars I wouldn't go near anything french, it used to be skoda were the laughing stock now its anything French, I would avoid Renault as everyone I've ever sold has give me me problems.
That said I think because your buying a motorhome you should look at layout first and base vehicle isn't as important as your not looking to do massive mileage but avoid renault, the fords I've had will still keep going if a fault develops:thumb:
This is my opinion and i'm not saying it correct:roflmto:

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Some great comments which have really put my mind at ease. Layout is spot on for us, so I am now happy to go for the deal.
Many thanks folks. :Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Some great comments which have really put my mind at ease. Layout is spot on for us, so I am now happy to go for the deal.
Many thanks folks. :Smile:

Trust me, the Layout will never be spot on for ya :ROFLMAO:

welcome to the world of motorhoming, where every other van has something you wished you had :roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
K

kelpbeds

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2006
Know what you mean, that's what lots of people have said to us. Perhaps I should have said that layout ticks all the main boxes, guess you never tick them all.
Cheers :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back