LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Our water heater is gas only, it is a Truma blow air heater. Because we are thinking of wintering away (France this year possibly Spain next) we are thinking of having an electric jacket fitted to cut down on gas usage.
I appreciate this may not get the water as hot as the gas does but "warm" would do us, as long as we can use the shower.
Any thoughts from you experts?

P.S. Nutters responses will be dealt with using the correct degree of "daft" :ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
i'd have thought a straight jacket more up your street Ken:Doh:
No not for me waste of energy, to much power reqd for too long to be of any use :Angry:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Ken,

I made the same enquiry with Truma's technical department in Derbyshire a few years ago. They told me that the for the cost of the retrofit heating belt, plus fitting, I could by a lot of LPG. Admittedly, that was when LPG was about £0.39ppl. :roflmto:

They also said that although it heated the water, (fine for dishes, etc,), it would not reach temperatures hot enough for showering. That was on the Combi 3402, however, this customer review, seems to contradict that advice from Truma, but certainly not where the cost is concerned. :whatthe::winky:

HTH,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Would only use it on hook up sites Geo. Like if we over winter in France or more importantly Spain as I believe LPG is hard to get. :Smile:

I have a straight jacket which Focups keeps at the ready. :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Would only use it on hook up sites Geo. Like if we over winter in France or more importantly Spain as I believe LPG is hard to get. :Smile:
:

There are certainly not as many LPG outlets in Spain as France-but,they are all in the Aires book.So,my perception is that is would not be too difficult to plan a route which at some point went to an area where there is LPG-I hope I'm right ::bigsmile:

Mike

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Does the electric blanket effectively turn the boiler into the same thing that you get when you buy a new gas/ekectric truma?

If so, then no worries. They have 2 input settings, the lowest is 900 watts (about 4 amps at 220/230volts) the highest 1800 (about 8 amps). We find either gets the water to full temperature, just takes longer to do it. So a 3 amp supply is not on, but 6 or more is OK on the lower setting.

Using the electric - on 1800watts - for heating is OK also, but only if its not too cold otherwise you need the extra power of gas.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

I have a straight jacket which Focups keeps at the ready. :thumb:

In that case I whole heartedly agree yes,
But what do they cost, we went the same way with what we call a hot rod for the yanks hot water tank its a small 110V immersion heater thats all, but does save on gas,when on hook up they cost about £120:Eeek: stings a bit when a full size domestic one costs about £15:Doh:
Geo

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
But what do they cost,
In my link above Geo, about £243.05. :whatthe: Apparently, the recommended retail price is £285.36. :whatthe::whatthe:

That's still a lot of LPG Ken. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
your best and cheapest bet is to get a BBQ point fitted so you can hook in a french bottle and regulator or get a (whisper propane refill adapter plus french adapter) hee hee

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, I have a BBQ point Roger I have that in mind.
Thanks to all for your replies and advice.
I think looking at the cost we will abandon the idea. As Jock says that is a lot of LPG. :thumb:

Thanks again. ::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, I have a BBQ point Roger I have that in mind.
Thanks to all for your replies and advice.
I think looking at the cost we will abandon the idea. As Jock says that is a lot of LPG. :thumb:

Thanks again. ::bigsmile:

Good decision..

also, some sites in Spain now have leccy meters .. and charge like Dick Turpin would ... that being the case LPG will be cheaper..

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
The missus has got a cauldron she hasn't used for a while, I don't think it would be of any use to you though, it's been used for boiling toads legs and bats wings:RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back