Oh Well Let's be provacative! Light the blue touchpaper! (1 Viewer)

2escapees

Deleted User
In response to one of my threads someone replied that their RV only got 7mpg. Now given the cost of diesel and the need to reduce our carbon footprint and save the planet is that the type of vehicle we really should driving? Surely you don't need such a gas guzzling beast to enjoy the open road?:whatthe:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
In response to one of my threads someone replied that their RV only got 7mpg. Now given the cost of diesel and the need to reduce our carbon footprint and save the planet is that the type of vehicle we really should driving? Surely you don't need such a gas guzzling beast to enjoy the open road?:whatthe:

Probably my posting and yes:winky::roflmto:::bigsmile:

I have 2 large dogs and favour my bus.

Your away all the time in your vehicle doing a huge mileage whereas I rarely get away so we all do our bit for the planet differently:winky:::bigsmile:

PS:- 7 mpg is the worst and 9 more usual :winky::RollEyes:

Suppose we could all buy bicycles and tents though (now would that help save the planet?):winky:

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hmmm i wonder if the governments who are pouring billions into the global warming issue were to put that money into solutions such as a pollution free vehicle instead of taking us back to the dark ages would that not be a better spend of the money. I must admit for once I'm inclined to agree with the US :Eeek: in that technology may hold the major part of the answer. Says he donning tin helmet and ducking beneath the parapet.:winky:

PS I only have a small m/home.

::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My RV does about 10 to the gallon on a good day But by offset I am pretty carbon neutral.

I have a massive house, everyone has at least one room to themselves, with PCs TVs Game consoles, hair straighteners, etc My fuel bill is around £2800 a year. When we switch the house off and get out in the RV we are saving the planet:Smile:

You two could help save the planet. The miles you do in your Rapido are around 5 times the average RVer miles. Now you get about 3 or 4 times the amount per mile, but count the amount of fuel burnt and you probably pollute more:Smile: Shame on you:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Everyone has the right to choose whatever mode of transport they want, be it jetting away several times a year or enjoying their gas guzzler on the open road... buildings, not transport are the worst polluters but while on the subject why don't we restrict 4 x 4s , F1 racing, motocross, and any other sport that uses an internal combustion engine .. aint gonna happen is it.. each to their own I say.. and as RR said, it's not the mpg that matters but how much carbon you emit over a given period, by full timing in my 14 mpg RV I emit far far less carbon than a house dweller.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I get about 30/34 depending how I drive it. I did downsize my car from a Santa Fe to a getz 25mpg average to 60 average :Eeek:

I was only teasing:winky:

But a Santa Fe only 25 mpg:RollEyes: is this a heavy right foot?:Doh::roflmto::winky:

Mind you i had a Sorento that claimed 35 -45 mpg but could rarely get much over 23 mpg:Doh::cry:

My current Jeep does around 15 mpg but on LPG:winky:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I was only teasing:winky:

But a Santa Fe only 25 mpg:RollEyes: is this a heavy right foot?:Doh::roflmto::winky:

Mind you i had a Sorento that claimed 35 -45 mpg but could rarely get much over 23 mpg:Doh::cry:

My current Jeep does around 15 mpg but on LPG:winky:

Hi John I know you were teasing. The Santy got a lot of short journey use up and down to Steph's Mums and we no longer needed a 4X4. Have to admit I'm impressed by the Getz it sips fuel quite nippy and with a 5 year warranty and 3 free services it's a good deal. ::bigsmile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
With global warming have we not been there before?

And will we not adapt as and when?

Why should I put my senior years on hold to let the Indian and Chinese pollute the planet with industry and the most polluting old vehicle they drive about in belching out smoke.

Also in China there are coal mines that are so over mined they are alight and cannot be extinguished belching out god knows what:Doh:

No i will enjoy my vehicles when I can although the government is taxing me to death in the name of global warming (who are they kidding?:winky:)

Enodreven

xMember
Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
More waste!!!!!
Have you any idea Paul, the impact that mistake has had on the planet Tut tut tut:Cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
Now look Iv'e responded to it and doubled the problem, see what youve done

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
More waste!!!!!
Have you any idea Paul, the impact that mistake has had on the planet Tut tut tut:Cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
Now look Iv'e responded to it and doubled the problem, see what youve done

:thumb::ROFLMAO::thumb::ROFLMAO::thumb::ROFLMAO:

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
We average just under 10 mpg in our RV. As fulltimers, our miles per year (UK, France, Spain, Portugal, UK) are approx 7,000.

As a wage slave, in a year I commuted up to 15,000 miles, plus weekend & leisure driving, plus holiday touring. Plus Marion's driving on farm & shopping business.

So say total of 22,000 miles at around 35 mpg.

Which means in petrol consumption we're just about the same. But the difference is our RV is much more economical in household energy consumption than our house was.

So I think the energy police should subsidize my lifestyle as a fulltimer :winky:

Bruce

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A couple of points. Why does everyone assume that we all want to save the planet?

I like warm winters and hot summers! and, I am still not convinced that latest climate change is caused by man, what caused all of the other ones? Why did the Victorians build the Lighthouse in Whitby in the middle of the town as they got fed up with the sea level rising and knocking the others down?:restmycase:

At £1.10 a litre just think how much duty I give to Gordon and his muppets which has a green levy built in (according to previous budgets)

Besides, I walk to work everyday and so does my wife!

I think that it is a dangerous thing to point a fingers at one part of ones lifestlye and make snap judgements not knowing anything else about the accused's "green" credentials.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Of course we should all be reducing our 'carbon footprints'.
Any one of the 15,000 people who flew into Bali for last week's UN conference could tell you that. :RollEyes:

I know where I'd like to leave my carbon bootprint ....... :Eeek:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I think global warming is drummed into kids at school.

Not sure it fair to programme our kids this way.

Off topic now:RollEyes:

Would prefer this history of this country taught with a higher profile

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
A couple of points. Why does everyone assume that we all want to save the planet?

I like warm winters and hot summers! and, I am still not convinced that latest climate change is caused by man, what caused all of the other ones? Why did the Victorians build the Lighthouse in Whitby in the middle of the town as they got fed up with the sea level rising and knocking the others down?:restmycase:

At £1.10 a litre just think how much duty I give to Gordon and his muppets which has a green levy built in (according to previous budgets)

Besides, I walk to work everyday and so does my wife!

I think that it is a dangerous thing to point a fingers at one part of ones lifestlye and make snap judgements not knowing anything else about the accused's "green" credentials.

I'm with you I think this whole thing is just another way to grab our hard earned. Throughout history this happens from time to time it's just the natural order of things. ::bigsmile:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

[/I]Would prefer this history of this country taught with a higher profile[/I]

Would you John. I read an article the other day about Captain Kidd. Started off life as a Privateer, sponsored by The King to hunt Britain's enemies, usually the French and Spanish.

When he attacked a British ship we changed his title to Pirate and eventually caught him and hung him.

The rope broke so we hung him again.

We then put his body in a steel cage and hung that over the Thames for two years to rot.

History they never taught me at school, often people like to rewrite history but often history will come back to haunt us

stew

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I don't have enough knowledge to get into a debate about global warming or the environment but I listened to some so called experts on the radio. They claimed there is no evidence to prove man is having any dramatic effect or can do anything to change things, as what is happening is a natural occurence as we are coming out of an iceage.
David Bellamy also took part and actually supported this point of view. He also slated the film by Al Gore and claimed it was full of inaccurate scaremongering with no scientific evidence to back it up and under no circumstances should it be part of the school curriculem.
There was also a what can only be described as rabid environmentalist taking part. He claimed David Bellamy should hang his head in shame and also anyone who drives a 4x4 or large polluting vehicles should be hung drawn and quartered or words to that effect. His argument was based on scare tactics and rhetoric and had no substance whatsoever and he ended up appearing very foolish.

Like most decent people I really do care about the environment and want to protect it. However I will not be bullied into accepting a point of view based on highly emotional statements which try to make me feel guilty for living my life my way. If the so called experts can't agree then what are we supposed to believe and what are we supposed to do. Like John says are we supposed to put our senior years on hold and if so based on what evidence. If I had to trust David Bellamy or the scaremongers I know who I'd trust.

Sorry rant over Merry Christmas to everyone enjoy your travels while you still can :Smile::Smile:

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
Re the 'history' references, a wise man once pointed out that 'History is propaganda written by the winning side'.

I thought about this and used it to my advantage when I used to w**k. (That's 'o & r', not 'a & n', by the way :Smile:)

I often had meetings with technical personnel regarding the installation of scientific equipment on aircraft. I found it was very much to my advantage to be the one who wrote the minutes of these meetings: it was amazing how much one could bend what was said & agreed to suit one's own objectives!!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi

[/I]Would prefer this history of this country taught with a higher profile[/I]

Would you John. I read an article the other day about Captain Kidd. Started off life as a Privateer, sponsored by The King to hunt Britain's enemies, usually the French and Spanish.

When he attacked a British ship we changed his title to Pirate and eventually caught him and hung him.

The rope broke so we hung him again.

We then put his body in a steel cage and hung that over the Thames for two years to rot.

History they never taught me at school, often people like to rewrite history but often history will come back to haunt us

stew

Teach em it all, the good and the bad, every country has had it's highs and lows.

Tell them about slavery but also tell them who stopped it.

Tell them where our gold reserves went.

Tell them the high and the low of this country:winky::thumb:

Theres a whole lot of ex Commonwealth countries who are now starving that had the not broken loose would have been feed and cared for in a basic manner.

Last edited:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
On the basis that I run on Veg oil, No co2 or any other pollutants.:Smile:
Damn forgot, the amazonian's are burning their forests down to grow veg for my veg oil:ROFLMAO:
Just goes round in circles. Can't do right for doing wrong:ROFLMAO:

::bigsmile:Merry Christmas::bigsmile:

Sorry thats been racist isnt it?:ROFLMAO:

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
The Central England Temperature (CET) up to April 20 was running at 10.3C, which is 2.4 degrees above average.

At the moment that is lower than the April CET of only three previous years:
The Central England Temperature (CET) up to April 20 was running at 10.3C, which is 2.4 degrees above average. At the moment that is lower than the April CET of only three previous years;

2007 (10.3C)
1943 (10.5C)
1865 (10.6C),
1798 (10.4C).

Karl Benz was the German mechanical engineer who designed and in 1885 built the world's first practical automobile to be powered by an internal-combustion engine.

My drift is, the Hottest average year was 1865 (Fact)
Diesel engine invented 1885, 20 years later.(Fact)
The 3rd hottest Average year was 1798 (fact)
I suppose the weather then was blamed on all Horse S***.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back