Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
What exactly is a habitation certificate and who does the habitation check to provide such a certificate. If a dealer says they will do a habitation check, does that mean we can expect to be given a certificate from someone independent which shows that everything is in working order? Thanks

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes you are quite right you do get a list of what has been done.:winky:
But who does these checks - the seller or someone independent and are they worth the paper they are written on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What exactly is a habitation certificate and who does the habitation check to provide such a certificate. If a dealer says they will do a habitation check, does that mean we can expect to be given a certificate from someone independent which shows that everything is in working order? Thanks
No, the certificate will be filled in by the person or dealer who did the check...not an independant body.

the hab check should include a Gas safety check, an electrical safety check and a damp check as a priority and many other checks as well.

many dealers and independant traders will perform a habitation check....some will even come to your home or work place for a fee.
many do hab checks 'on the spot' at the various motorhome shows

it isnt a legal requirement (though, for gas in particular, it should be) but is advisable on safety grounds, as well as catching any unseen problems early....damp is a motorhome killer.

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
This will give you chapter and verse

Link Removed

Link Removed

Thank you very much for that. We have loosely planned to see this van on Sunday by appointment. We are travelling from Cornwall to Poole in Dorset so as a Motorhome dealer yourself, do you think we are asking too much to see things working on Sunday? On the phone he said that he would give a full service, MOT and habitation check AFTER we have paid a deposit. Is that normal procedure for some dealers. Thanks

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you had made a specific appointment and a requirement to see things working, we would arrange it, but that is us, what others do is up to them.

Very few of my vans on the forecourt would have been serviced as we give '12 month' ones and should we service them before sale, they could have been sitting there for some time!

They obviously get a full valet and refreshers and anyhting obvious is rectified before display.

Same should apply really to all dealers.

Peter

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I'd only want to pay a 'miminal' 'holding' deposit pre service, hab check etc in case i didn't like summat on visit 2.

Why not ask if anyone on here can tell you anything about the partic dealer?

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Thank you very much for that. We have loosely planned to see this van on Sunday by appointment. We are travelling from Cornwall to Poole in Dorset so as a Motorhome dealer yourself, do you think we are asking too much to see things working on Sunday? On the phone he said that he would give a full service, MOT and habitation check AFTER we have paid a deposit. Is that normal procedure for some dealers. Thanks

If you buy through Peter (the dealer above in the quote) you will have no problems, do nOt worry about distance. Tell him the van you want and see if he can get you one.

Simples!!! (wink):thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When Ash did my hab check this year, I got a couple of pages of checks that had been carried out, all with comprehensive notes on the findings. A certificate and a smart 2011 habcheck sticker stuck on the inside of the wardrobe door:Smile: that reminds me, I must go and leave a review
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'd only want to pay a 'miminal' 'holding' deposit pre service, hab check etc in case i didn't like summat on visit 2.

Why not ask if anyone on here can tell you anything about the partic dealer?

Thanks for that the dealer is B Miller & Sons Parkstone Poole. We know they're old family business been car dealers since the 1940s but only recently branched out into Motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back