Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Has anyone had any experience of these people - The Motorhome Shed, who are also here http://www.buymymotorhome.co.uk/index.php They claim to offer: 'All motorhomes come with 2 years warranty as standard, HPI report and full habitation report.' These motorhomes are not new. Are we being cynical to think that 2 years warranty seems a bit ott?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Worth remembering that the very minimum under eu law is 12 months on everything ..

generally, modern vehicles and associated bits and bobs are so reliable, I would say it is a viable thing to do.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think they were at Newbury this year

I think they were at the Newbury show this year.

Sounds like a cross between 'We buy any car' and a commission sale basis.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
buymymotorhome.co.uk

I have had dealings with these people in the last couple of months and can't speak HIGHLY enough of them. Richard is the boss and both he and his staff are helpful reliable and totally honest in their dealings.

Although they were a disinterested party in my dealings they offered sound advice and I will most definitely stay in touch and hopefully do business with them in the future.

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Worth remembering that the very minimum under eu law is 12 months on everything ..

generally, modern vehicles and associated bits and bobs are so reliable, I would say it is a viable thing to do.

So are you saying that it's not unusual for a dealer to give 24 months guarantee? And would you expect that to cover everything? I mean, car dealers often only give 3 months on 2nd hand cars.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I know nothing of the motor home shed, but I would imagine that if they are offering 2 years warranty on young vehicles then it is probably a fairly low risk given the reliability of the modern vehicle.

Older vehicles are probably limited to major mechanical items or limited in cost say up to a maximum claim limit not exceeding £3000 for instance or £500 in any one claim.

It is often the case that in-car entertainment is not covered but it would need further investigation. I think the best people to ask would be them?
Best of luck.
Griff

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I dont tink for one minuete the warranties will be anythin like that of a new vehicle It will almost certainly be an insurance warrany bought by the dealer to pass on to you the buyer in reality it is you who is paying for it in the puchase price
Warranties of this type usually termed "breakdown warranties" can mean just that unless its broken then there is no payout, it called fair wear and tear ie its not broken down its worn out:RollEyes:
Big name warrantie companies AA as an example seem to have a faiirer reputation than someof the nondescript firms like Triple A warranties backed by Lloyds:Eeek: mean absolutly nothing:Doh:
Wording is very very important, small print reading is essential before purchase some boast "full repair cost covered" what they dont say is diagnosis and stripping to find the fault YOU pay for:Angry:
They will then pays to put it back together with the new part less an amount for betterment, a term used when your repair leaves you better off than before it broke down, you may be asked to pay the difference.

Permission is always required before any work is carried out, if an inspection is reqd by the warranty company then sometimes days or even weeks are lost waiting for the go ahead

warranties are also very strict on servicing records and may only allow 200 miles or a week or two over a given service interval,exceed either and the warranty is void
Best advise is to read re read and then read again to fully understand what you are covered for
The expression not worth the paper is often heard in warrany reports
Geo

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
They will be insurance based warranties and we all know the pitfalls of those.

Basically if it does not BREAK its not covered. Wear and tear is excepted.

Peter

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
They will be insurance based warranties and we all know the pitfalls of those.

Basically if it does not BREAK its not covered. Wear and tear is excepted.

Peter
Thank you for that. I have another question that doesn't relate to that dealer. There is another van that we are contemplating travelling up to Poole to see. It's a Burstner 530. We have spoken to the dealer and asked about seeing all the appliances working etc He said that wouldn't be necessary but when we've looked at the van and made an offer, had it accepted and paid a deposit, he will get habitation check done and service. Don't know what to make of this. Any advice please?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Providing one is given a couple of days warning it is not hard work to fit a gas bottle and put some water in the tank and have a hook up connected for a serious buyer.

Many vans on forcourts do not have gas bottles in them or have water in tanks

Peter

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Thank you for that. I have another question that doesn't relate to that dealer. There is another van that we are contemplating travelling up to Poole to see. It's a Burstner 530. We have spoken to the dealer and asked about seeing all the appliances working etc He said that wouldn't be necessary but when we've looked at the van and made an offer, had it accepted and paid a deposit, he will get habitation check done and service. Don't know what to make of this. Any advice please?

If his answer wasn't yes I wouldn't waste my time and fuel going to see it, when I was in the trade I would insist we check every thing to gether so you knew it was working likewise a road test, it never ceases to amaze me how many people will buy a vehicle without driving it, most warrenties on used vehicles are not worth the paper they are printed on, having said that it does depend to an extent on the dealers reputation with the warrenty companys rep, ours would cover almost anything as he knew we would not clainm for small items but just do it and wouldn't sell crap that went to the auctions.

Hope this helps a bit

All the best Rick.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I have had dealings with these people in the last couple of months and can't speak HIGHLY enough of them. Richard is the boss and both he and his staff are helpful reliable and totally honest in their dealings.

Although they were a disinterested party in my dealings they offered sound advice and I will most definitely stay in touch and hopefully do business with them in the future.

Richard used to run RDH Motorhomes - I recognised him at Newark the other week. Not sure why RDH ceased trading but see attached http://www.rdh.co.uk/

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
please be careful we have not dealt with these people but have had our fingers and wallet burned badly recently.

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes I think we are being overcautious but then it can pay to be cynical.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes I think we are being overcautious but then it can pay to be cynical.

Yes it can, I know that Gran and Rog had a bad do and certainaly don't deserve what has happened, hope to see you two soon are you going to Lincoln ?

All the best Rick

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie

Glad you had good dealings but I have to say that Richard at 'The Motorhome Shed' phoned us today because we had shown interest in one of their vans, asking if we were still interested. We had queried quite a lot of staining in the pic of the toilet and his response was that he hadn't got round to cleaning it! He said if we were not interested, he would put it in the auction. I asked when the auction was. He said tomorrow. I asked where he was based. He said Nottingham. (we live in Cornwall) I said I don't think we'll be coming to Nottingham today. He said he thought we would do the deal over the phone (without a viewing, test drive or anything!) and then deliver it to us. I said that I didn't think we'd be doing that, buying something completely unseen over the phone. Seems a funny way to do business to me. My thoughts: we may be cabbage looking, but we're not green! :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So are you saying that it's not unusual for a dealer to give 24 months guarantee? And would you expect that to cover everything? I mean, car dealers often only give 3 months on 2nd hand cars.

Sorry but you are wrong.. While a car dealer will happily lie to you and tell you there is a 3 month warranty they know full well they are in the doo doo under Eu trading rules and laws if someone actually know their rights

Simply check out the rules and regs on one of the myriad of govt sponsored info sites :Smile:

But the truth is as Geo states, and to actually get your legal rights would proly cost more to bring to action through the courts than the vehicle in question is worth !

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If you read my note again you'll see I headed it Buymymotorhome.com and I have had dealings with 'buymymotorhome.com' I have not had dealings with the motorhome shed. I'm not convinced that they are the same outfit.

You seem in doubt, in which case I would stay clear were I you.

Griff

OP
OP
D

Demelza

Free Member
Aug 28, 2011
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you read my note again you'll see I headed it Buymymotorhome.com and I have had dealings with 'buymymotorhome.com' I have not had dealings with the motorhome shed. I'm not convinced that they are the same outfit.

You seem in doubt, in which case I would stay clear were I you.

Griff
Sorry I didn't notice your heading but if anyone is interested they are one and the same because when Richard responded to our emails his logo was Buymymotorhome.com. Also, according to another person on this forum, canopus36, Richard used to run this http://www.rdh.co.uk/ now defunct, which is the same as this
http://www.buymymotorhome.co.uk/index.php Never mind, I was just sharing information and yes, we intend to steer clear. Thanks for your input.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back