Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
how many peeps on here use the correct printer ink ,as reccomended by your printer manufactorer,or like me do you use ebay cheapies.
i have an old epson stylus r300 photo printer and it takes 6 inks at a cost of £1 each:thumb:and have been useing the same ink surplyer for years without problem and see no difference with quality:thumb:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
If it works for you thats fine!

Personally I had some trouble with cheap inks clogging the printer, some time ago, so now I only used the proper branded inks, although I do go to a lot of trouble to buy them from the cheapest internet supplier I can find (which varies, the cheapest today may not be tomorrow).

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
If it works for you thats fine!

Personally I had some trouble with cheap inks clogging the printer, some time ago, so now I only used the proper branded inks, although I do go to a lot of trouble to buy them from the cheapest internet supplier I can find (which varies, the cheapest today may not be tomorrow).

Have to agree, always used compatibles until I had a problem with clogging inks on my Epson PX710W now I am only using originals and like you finding cheapest supplier

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Have to agree, always used compatibles until I had a problem with clogging inks on my Epson PX710W now I am only using originals and like you finding cheapest supplier

I also have an Epson PX710W, I buy compatibles from a guy in Mold Market, 6 cartridges was about £9, only clogged on the black once when I hadn't used it for a long while, put it through one self cleaning cycle and it was perfect again, I can put up with that bit of hassle considering the enormous cost savings.:thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As we have an HP Envy printer, we only use original inks. Tried the copy inks once - on a different printer - and the colours were a mile off. As I calibrate my monitor to produce exact colours, what I see is what I want. :ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use copy inks in a text only printer, they work great and cost hardly anything. I couldnt bring myself to use compatibles in my Epson Photo R2400, I only use this for keepers or sellers and the quality is superb. Some pros use the external ink systems with this & similar quality printers, but I don't use mine enough to warrant the investment, maybe when I retire and take more photos. :Smile:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Its been cheaper to buy a new printer than pay for some of the Ink cartridges :Angry:
i agree mavis,the printers are cheap,then they sting you for ink replacements,:Eeek:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some printers are actually sold as a loss leader, sold cheap knowing they will earn their cash on the cartridges.

There is a minolta couler laser that is cheaper to buy new that it is to buy a new set of colour toners:Doh:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Some printers are actually sold as a loss leader, sold cheap knowing they will earn their cash on the cartridges.

There is a minolta couler laser that is cheaper to buy new that it is to buy a new set of colour toners:Doh:

I think you will find cartridges supplied with new printers only have a minimal amount of ink in them, they soon run out.:cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i bought some 'compatables' from Morrisons for a previous printer, cant remember the make but maybe HP, and they didnt work.

on closer inspection none of the copper contact dots were the same as the originals.

took them back and changed for another set, took them to customer services and asked them to open the packaging.

and once again the contacts were completely different to both the originals (genuine) and the first set i bought.

the same cartridges may fit many 'same brand' printer models but the contact configurations are different for each model :Doh:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Used compatibles in my Epson Stylus 680 for most of its 8 year life and couldn't see any difference between them and the Epson brand, other than the £10 - £15 per cartridge!

About to try the same with a Canon ip4600 (it's all right having individual cartridges for each colour, but not when they're tiny and the printer takes great pleasure in emptying them with cleaning cycles), and my trusty old B&W HP LaserJet will be getting a cheap toner cartridge now that HP versions have gone up in price by about 50% since I last bought one :Angry:

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
we go through a fair load of ink catridges, and have wasted money on the compatibles, which mostly won't work at all. I have however found that tesco inks are very good. I refill them myself a couple of times. At £30 a time for a hp one its very expensive.

Shirl

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
i used a ciss system (continuous ink system ) on my r300 for 8 years with no problems at all , its now free to anybody as my printer finally packed in, have just bought a px720wd and a set of refillable cartridges for it and will fill my own once again, i think its all down to the quality of the refillable ink you buy

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Bit off topic but aren't these wifi wireless printers amazing?

Can't get my head round that technology.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have tried using cheaper inks for normal everyday use they are fine, but if you want good colour reproduction for pictures don't think you can beat printers own make.

Have also noticed that using their own paper as well can improve the reproduction of pictures.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Got an Epson SX215 and get very good results using compatibles @ £12 for 20 cartridges :thumb: Had a posh Epson photo printer for yrs until it came up with take it to the dealer some components need replacing/end of life :ROFLMAO: The main agent told me to bin it (cost more to fix) and tried to flog me the SX for £80 but got one from Curry or Comet on offer for £40 :thumb: After using around 60 I get the odd cartridge that does not work but at 60p per go I can afford to sling the odd one :ROFLMAO:
terry

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
i used a ciss system (continuous ink system ) on my r300 for 8 years with no problems at all , its now free to anybody as my printer finally packed in, have just bought a px720wd and a set of refillable cartridges for it and will fill my own once again, i think its all down to the quality of the refillable ink you buy

Please let me know how this goes as I didn't know you could buy refillable for epson. Thanks :thumb:

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
try pro dye maximus from blue apple trading 5xbottless and frefillable carts for £ 50 .00 and have lasted my for 2 years :RollEyes:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its been cheaper to buy a new printer than pay for some of the Ink cartridges :Angry:

You can buy a printer in Asda thats cheaper than the inks.
Jim
:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was in town today and got talking to the guy that runs an ink refill service about just this topic, he says that major printer companies give printers FOC to the likes of Tesco, PC world etc .. only charge for carriage .. it is a big scam to get you hooked onto their inks .. they come supplied with just about enough ink for a test page .. :Angry:

he was also saying it is getting harder to refill certain makes and some new printers have software that won't work with generic cartridges or ones that have been refilled, if you try, it shuts down and has to be returned to manufacturer for a reset.. there is a warning about this on the printer. Can't recall the make , think it was HP

I bought a set of generic for may Canon IP4500, 5 inks cost .. £19 these were new , not refilled.. Canon inks cost over £60

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
this ink thing is just one big rip off:Angry:
the wife came home about a year ago with a new all singing all danceing wifi printer scanner,great bit of kit untill it came to replaceing the inks:Doh:needless to say its been bined and the epson bought back into service,and i was given another epson r300 thats had all most no use,so i have a spare,but been useing this one for about 5 years with no problem:thumb:
but i dont do pictures on it,only charts&graphs and ebay label's:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
but i dont do pictures on it,only charts&graphs and ebay label's:thumb:

This is just not true.

I have been told by Mrs Green that you have pictures of your best mate everywhere:winky:

Attachments

• phone till aug 2011 (32).jpg
    phone till aug 2011 (32).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 25

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Cleaning the print head on Canon Pixma IP4500

Update on the inks I bought.. and how I cleaned the print head ...

Started out great but after a couple of prints the colours went funny .. so I checked the print pattern and sure enough one of the blacks wasn't printing properly .. so I tried auto cleaning, several times to no avail... just a waste of inks.. I should add at this point that the printer had been idle for several months.. not a good idea.. anyway,

I took the bull by the horns, removed the ink cartridges and then removed the print head .. it just clips in, ... then proceeded to wash it under the tap, using my finger on the spout of the tap to get a good jet.. washed it until the water was clear.. shook off the excess water and dried with paper towel..

Tried a test print and it was perfect, so then printed a full glossy A4 picture, again absolutely perfect ... well chuffed .. wish I had done that before wasting ink with the daft cleaning cycle..

This worked for me, I accept no liability if you damage yours ... :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back