wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Other than to make em look like chavs trucks Are you thinkin of leavin the nutters an becomin a chav Hilda????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well thy still seem to be fitting and slling them in the landrover world well landrover monthly
june 2011 extreme4x4 have a showing of two tubular winch bumpers and two other strengthened ones+a bars.
think there was talk about banning but it never happened. could be wrong ,maybe sundowners can give us info. certainly at the landrover show i went to 2 yrs ago they were all over the place. just been given a pile of landt mags they are advertised in several outlets . cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I guess your talking new vehicles John
Plenty of ole Rangies and the like running em
cant remember the year but think it was around 3 or 4 years ago they changed the law.

not retrospectively though and you can still buy proper metal bars but insurers wont like you very much.

had metal bars on my suzuki SJ410 for off road use but they made a hell of a mess of the wings and bonnet when hitting rocks and trees etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well thy still seem to be fitting and slling them in the landrover world well landrover monthly
june 2011 extreme4x4 have a showing of two tubular winch bumpers and two other strengthened ones+a bars.
think there was talk about banning but it never happened. could be wrong ,maybe sundowners can give us info. certainly at the landrover show i went to 2 yrs ago they were all over the place. just been given a pile of landt mags they are advertised in several outlets . cheers alan.

What car 2009

in particular........ Distributors who continue to sell the old-style metal bull bars after this date will face imprisonment.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not saying youare wrong just i,m sat here with a pile of landy mags a mate dropped in and they are still advertised and being fitted on new landies. i dont know of a law that stops them but could have been away and missed it. nigel will know i,m sure ,he is or was mr landrover on here.he used to have a lovely roof tent on one of his landies . bit more posher than my brownchurch jobby. be interesting to know for sure . they still do them for bongo,s as well .

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
This was being argued about on TalbotOC. As the legislation wasn't retrospective anyone with a vehicle pre 2008(?) that had one fitted can't be forced to remove it. Problem then arises as to whether your 1980's Range Rover ever had one and whether it had just been removed for "repairs" "repainting" etc. etc. so the Police won't be chasing anyone for it and insurers will be being told "it already had it when I got it".

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i like the idea of bull bars on a motorhome,i think they would look cool:Cool:
and give one somewere to stand when washing the overhang:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes Alan, you can still buy and fit the steel ones but officially only for off road use.
all the off road suppliers still stock them but if fitted on a road vehicle registered after 2008 you can kiss goodbye to any third party bodily injury insurance claim.
the euro spec ones look the same but are chrome effect plastic and absorb most of the impact.....pretty much useless for the intended purpose and only any good on chelsea tractors for bling appeal.

bit like the old 27mhz AM CB radio's of the 80's....legal to buy, illegal to use.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what my electronica 360 with added bands is illegal.next minute you will be saying i need a licence. ha ha .
hope the ones in the mag arent plastic they are for mounting winches on. winches not wenches.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what my electronica 360 with added bands is illegal.next minute you will be saying i need a licence. ha ha .
hope the ones in the mag arent plastic they are for mounting winches on. winches not wenches.
not any more Alan, that government money making scam was short lived and they scrapped it.
£15 a year if i remember right.

no, they will be real for winch mounting, still cant fit after 2008 for the road though so you need a winch bumper, but why would you want a winch on a car which will never leave the tarmac....except at the gymkhana field.
the majority of 4x4 owners wont even know what the high/low box or diff locks do, or how to select it, never mind going off road.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
the majority of 4x4 owners wont even know what the high/low box or diff locks do, or how to select it, never mind going off road.

So true. I remember passing a RR Discovery during last December's snow. I was in my Transit. I hope he was suitably embarassed.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Its all age related and not retrospective, vehicles before a certain age can have them fitted, after they cannot. Not many people will actually fit them even if you buy one from them, and winch bumpers etc are not bullbars, whether tubelar or not.
The majority of landrover insurance companies dont like them being fitted, but as has been said, a big tubelar winch bumper (like i have) will do as much damage.

Our local council, had them fitted to all of its transits and pickpups a few years ago, after two years, the removed them all, because minor shiunts were being transmitted directly to te chassis, and writing off vehicles:Eeek:.

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
not saying youare wrong just i,m sat here with a pile of landy mags a mate dropped in and they are still advertised and being fitted on new landies. i dont know of a law that stops them but could have been away and missed it. nigel will know i,m sure ,he is or was mr landrover on here.he used to have a lovely roof tent on one of his landies . bit more posher than my brownchurch jobby. be interesting to know for sure . they still do them for bongo,s as well .

still got them on my bongo, inport from japan 95 model with spots mounterd on them:RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,lugnut .was going to get the local fabricators to make me some in stainess an the rear ladder . but have took the roof tent off now . might even sell it . ideal for sneaking round cornish lanes but insurance getting abit too much . too many m,bikes . all mounts up . tax insurance. done 200miles in the last year . have o go.
cheers alan.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Heard an interesting programme about bull bars on the radio a while back.
Bull bars can and have killed pedestrians at really slow speeds.Creating massive internal injuries.
I cant really see the point of them unless you are going off road....a fashion accessorry ( which is what they were) that is really dangerous... adds weight
and is totally dangerous doesnt make too much sense for most users.

barry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well we know howto cure that come away on an african tour.
as for bull bars killing folk ,think it also as to do with then being fixed to a vehicle. cant see the differance which would you like driven into you as a pedestrian.
what i cant understand is the ones that get the latest up to date m,home with all mod cons ,then go on a campsite with a restaurant so they dont have to use the facilities in the camper.
beyond me that one. if fashion is the thing they must take the biscuit. but dont drop any crumbs. hee hee.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back