Tyres - Fiat Ducato based m/h (1 Viewer)

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Help! After some advise re tyres please. Have recently purchased 9yr old Ace Milano. This is a Fiat Ducato based vehicle. After finding the drive on the motorway a bit odd I took it to the weighbridge to ensure all ok. Max vehicle weight is 3400kg. We came in at 3050kg so well within range. Full tank of diesel, about 1/4 tank of fresh water, empty waste water tank, driver, 1 small child with carseat and bike on bike rack. So even allowing for extra water, clothes etc we are fine. Unfortunately weighbridge cannot do accurate single axle readings but managed to give me approx. However the two totalled were 120kg light on overall vehicle weight, and obviously I don't know whether that 120kg should read on front or rear axle, or more likely split between the two. Based on the approx reading we were 220kg off the total permissable for rear axle. If you add the full 'missing' 120kg onto the rear axle we have 100kg to spare (which would be easily used if we had two passengers in rear seats).

So having determined all ok I decided to check tyre pressures. Managed to get grounded courtesy of towbar trying to get into first petrol station! Very slowly backed up and drove to another....got in ok, but clipped again on exit :Sad: Guess that's another issue for another thread though?

I checked the Ace manual for tyre pressures which referred me to the Fiat manual or the plate in driver's doorway. Reading in doorway was 71.5 (+/- 1) psi front and back which I believe is the fully loaded requirement. Reading from tyre was about 54psi. So I started inflating only to read on tyre wall maximum range was 65psi. :Eeek: So I rang the dealership and they said tyres were fine for the vehicle and that I wouldn't be fully loaded (which I'm not) so could use anything between 55 and 65 but suggested 60psi front and 65psi rear. I went with this and drive was better, but I have a few concerns/questions and would be grateful for some technical guidance as I'm not convinced these tyres are suitable for the vehicle, or that the pressures are correct?

Data from tyres on vehicle (sorry, don't know much about tyres so wasn't sure which bits were relevant!): Super Tripper Radial H/T - Dot U834 - 215/70R15C.109/107P - Load Range D 65psi.

- How 'loaded' does a motorhome need to be to count as 'fully loaded' and require fully loaded tyre inflation? (I'm assuming it doesn't only apply at total max weight?)
- Should I be using the fully loaded tyre inflation?
- Are these the correct tyres for the vehicle? Seems worrying that they aren't capable of being inflated to maximum level if required.
- If these aren't correct what should I be getting?
- Would it be dangerous to use the fully loaded inflation if not fully loaded?
- Would having tyres inflated to fully loaded range help with the towbar grounding situation?
- If I don't need to be using the maximum inflation what is the correct setting? I've tried referring to the Fiat handbook but cannot make sense of the table - it refers to versions and types (chassis?) but I've no idea which to look at.

Any advice very gratefully received.
Daisy2

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i would suggest another weighbridge who's operator does know how to weigh individual axles.

from your description, re grounding, it sounds like you are either well overloaded on the rear axle or the rear suspension has gone soft and needs upgrading with new springs or spring assisters or air suspension.

the tyre pressures, 65 rear and 60 front, sound like a good starting point.

if you can get accurate gross, front, rear axle weights you could ring/email your tyre manufacturer who should give you the correct pressures for the weight.
you will need all three weights.
they will also say if the tyres are suitable for a motorhome. :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you. I think its unlikely we are overloaded on the rear axle so sounds like the suspension is the issue :Sad: I'm guessing that won't be covered under warranty :winky: Will call dealership tomorrow to talk about the options and if I can work out who makes the tyres I will definitely follow your advice. Thank you :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Something is definately wrong if you ground going into a petrol station. The Ace is only a derivative of a Sundance and they do not ground with a tow bar

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Daisy21

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for all the advice. Spoke to the local Fiat dealer today and they pointed me in the direction of a reliable tyre supplier to call and find out if the tyres on the vehicle are actually suitable. If they are deemed 'ok' then I will change them at my expense to something better (Michelin?) as I don't think tyres are something to stint on in a vehicle like this? If they aren't suitable then I will take up with the dealership I bought from to resolve. Seems from the comments that we probably have rear suspension problem so will call dealership about that. Also think we might have a gearbox problem (I thought it could be clutch but Fiat guy thinks gearbox more likely) - makes a bit of a grinding sound when driving and you get to the point of changing to the next gear, or going downhill when you don't want to change gear, but doesn't sound like engine noise. So seems we have a few issues to iron out....but I still like the van ::bigsmile:

So glad I was pointed in the direction of this site. Your support/advice is invaluable and hope we get to meet some of you one day.

Thanks
Daisy2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back