What do you call yours (and why)? (1 Viewer)

May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
Ours is called FiFi because she is French and therefore female, but generally we refer to her as the MoHo.
We have had a few cars with names but only if the number plate suggests it or they have some sort of character.
We had a moggy traveller called Bob
A crappy old Ford KA for the kids called Jiggy
A beetle called bumble
Modern cars are fairly boring so donā€™t seem to cry out for a name they are pretty boring šŸ˜‚

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2021
North Dorset
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I find it bizzare when folk give a machine a name, particularly a human name.

Even more confusing is when they talk about them as if they were a person ie. we took (insert silly name here) away for a weekend, etc.. as if everyone knows what they're talking about.
I love the fact that humans, who invented the name giving principle in the first place find it odd that other humans could give something else or someone else (depending on your outlook šŸ˜Š) an associated title link (or name in this case).

I personally loving giving things names, probably it suits older things better as they seem to have apparent character based on unreliable behaviours or traits but new things can also have names, more akin would be a Prim and proper name, like cindy, or Dominic. And the older items might be, as someone has mentioned, Burt, Donkey, daisy, tink tink etcā€¦!

šŸ˜‰

Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
We are due to pick up our new (to us) Benimar Mileo 286 next week. Whilst walking the dog this morning we were pondering and struggling to come up with a name for the van. Our previous van was called The escape pod, as we used it to escape the daily work grind but as we have now joined the retired and broke community we thought of naming the new van something with a Spanish flair. I know not everyone names their van but we like the idea of giving it a bit of an identity. My husband suddenly stopped and with a straight face suggested calling it ā€˜Underpantsā€™ and when I looked at him as if he was mad, he said it was apt because it will contain 2 old farts and a little Sh*t! (The dog)
Needless to say we will not be calling it that, the dog is much better behaved than he used to be, but it got me thinking about why people name their vans and if there are any particular reasons.
So come on, fess up and name names!
"Mona". MOtorhome bought during coroNAvirus. Simples. šŸ˜

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Since The Queen doesnā€™t mind giving inanimate objects names, nor do I! My van is called Tonks. Plenty of folk know Tonks by name and meet me saying things like ā€˜We saw Tonks so knew you were here!ā€™

Attachments

• E199AD91-15E5-426E-BBEC-6FCFEF62C225.jpeg
    E199AD91-15E5-426E-BBEC-6FCFEF62C225.jpeg
    739.7 KB · Views: 23
Jul 12, 2021
North East Scotland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 194
Exp
2000 in some capacity
Our MH was new and we named her Sully right from the start so as to be personal to us. The Sully comes from Suilven one of our favourite places. If your into hill climbing please seek this one out (close to Lochinver). Most people we meet who are ā€œfull timeā€ name their vans something, donā€™t see the harm.

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Ours has 'Monty' written on the side by a previous owner. I've not bothered removing it but call it Motorhome or van. Except when I need to fix something else, then it's whatever expletives come out first.

Oct 27, 2019
Fareham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Are you really sure you want to name whatā€™s basically a tin can on wheelsšŸ¤”

Societal norms dictate that assigning human minds to non-human objectsā€”a phenomenon called anthropomorphismā€”is a tendency we ought to outgrow; past puberty, those who still talk to their stuffed bunny or name their household appliances are perceived as immatureā€”if not crazy.
So why are ships given names?

Feb 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Burford
Exp
Our last Motorhome was a Cheyenne so it was called Mr.Bodey. Our current one is a Burford and we couldnā€™t think of a name but the registration ends BBZ and the selling dealer suggested Boobs, er I think not šŸ˜‚

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Our grandchildren like naming the vehicles, so our motorhome is called ā€˜Hollieā€™. Reason, Happy Hollie-days.

It generally gets referred to as the motorhome, by us.

Aug 12, 2020
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Bluebelle: VW T6.1
Exp
Since 2020
Ours is Ruby, named for our wedding anniversary last summer, and labelled accordingly. People do refer to 'her' by her name, and more than one has taken her photograph, saying their child/grandchild/dog has the same name!

Attachments

• Ruby.jpg
    Ruby.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 8

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I thought BMW's were mostly driven by gynecologist.
They are the choice for chavs these days. All the wee 20 year olds are driving aukd 3 series round here slammed on the floor and drifting roond roonaboots

May 29, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest CV2
Exp
We are due to pick up our new (to us) Benimar Mileo 286 next week. Whilst walking the dog this morning we were pondering and struggling to come up with a name for the van. Our previous van was called The escape pod, as we used it to escape the daily work grind but as we have now joined the retired and broke community we thought of naming the new van something with a Spanish flair. I know not everyone names their van but we like the idea of giving it a bit of an identity. My husband suddenly stopped and with a straight face suggested calling it ā€˜Underpantsā€™ and when I looked at him as if he was mad, he said it was apt because it will contain 2 old farts and a little Sh*t! (The dog)
Needless to say we will not be calling it that, the dog is much better behaved than he used to be, but it got me thinking about why people name their vans and if there are any particular reasons.
Mine is Betty Boop but I don't refer to her as BB just the van. Parked up in the forest of Dean last weekend next to another BB with stickers too. šŸ˜

Attachments

• IMG-20210925-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210925-WA0000.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 20

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Our old Benimar was called BennyMe - now we have downsized this year (thank God before they became silly prices) to VW camper which is called LadyBug
f81ccba7-395a-40e2-af33-e3671ba55864.jpg

e3ba8c72-1f04-4116-ac2f-3682413cbb8a.jpg

Feb 5, 2020
Stone, Staffs.
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Our van is called Garvey.
We purchased the van off a chap whose second name was Guy, and it was days before we went to an Elbow concert.
It was obvious... sort of!

Squeak

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We had one called "Squeak", that should have been called "knackered". We now have "June" after my beloved best friend who passed away this Yr & would have loved the idea of the van being called after her memory

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back