Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
Ive bought a 1988 Kontiki as a project, its not for the faint hearted. Ive found the main source of the leak, having a fiberglass front and back section to the roof with an Ally center section was a leak waiting to happen, different expansion rates and vibration was always going to cause a leak.
I've taken the roof off and replaced the Ally with plywood and fiberglass, it doesnt leak anymore:thumb:. I've now got to remove all the interior, Ive bought a touring caravan for all the appliences etc as the ones in the motorhome were either broken or to dirty to bother cleaning. the part I'm having trouble locating is the power controle panel from above the cab. ( its the long one with the casset storage at either side of the radio housing) If anyone knows of one of these thats for sale or a suitable replacement I would appreciate their help. if not I may rewire it and replace it with a zig unit.

Regards, John

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ive bought a 1988 Kontiki as a project, its not for the faint hearted. Ive found the main source of the leak, having a fiberglass front and back section to the roof with an Ally center section was a leak waiting to happen, different expansion rates and vibration was always going to cause a leak.
I've taken the roof off and replaced the Ally with plywood and fiberglass, it doesnt leak anymore:thumb:. I've now got to remove all the interior, Ive bought a touring caravan for all the appliences etc as the ones in the motorhome were either broken or to dirty to bother cleaning. the part I'm having trouble locating is the power controle panel from above the cab. ( its the long one with the casset storage at either side of the radio housing) If anyone knows of one of these thats for sale or a suitable replacement I would appreciate their help. if not I may rewire it and replace it with a zig unit.

Regards, John
Hi John
That different material theory sounds like a good one. I speak with some history on the subject as back in 1988 I purchased a brand new Kontiki I think I paid about £20k for it on a Peugeot 2.5 indirect diesel which was an excellent unit and I covered some 100000 trouble free miles before getting shot of it. :rain:
The rest of it although looking good and performing well on the road, it was crap. The dealers renamed it the Swift Konleaky for obvious reasons.:rain:
Six months after purchase it started with damp patches and progressed to requiring an umbrella to stay dry inside.:rain:
Knowing what I know now I would have got it replaced but I was a bit young and naïve so let them fit new roofs and reseal it on a number of occasions but never stopped the water ingress. :rain:Your theory could be the reason why. It’s a pity the so called experts at swift didn’t understand the basic engineering principles of using different materials. :rain:
I’ve had a number of new motorhomes since then but never another Swift and hell would freeze over before I ever contemplated anything in their portfolio. :helptitanic:
Good luck by the way with your project I’m sure you will end up with a drier interior than swift could.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
cant help with your request, but good luck with it, and us Motorhome loving funsters, love to see pictures of such projects.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
John H

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I've taken plenty of photo's, when I get te I'll upload them to the site. I only paid £820.00 for it so I've got a healthy margin to get it up to spec again . The cab us in very good condition and most of the exterior is good, so in theory it's just a big refit : )

John

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Years ago I had a Kontiki 87 D long wheelbase, had every toy imaginable on it including a fly killer over the hab door.

It had a tow bar on the back with a bike rack on it which stuck out a lot on overhang, going round a haiprpin bend in Wales having to use the inside lane as some tosser in an old Allegro would not give way, the back off the tow bar stuck in the tarmac on the road tilting the van a bit.

Front wheel drive, one front wheel lost taction and I was not going anyhere, farmer came along with an old Shogun, hitched a chain to front end and dragged me round the corner!

Another day gearbox stuck in fourth gear, AA useless, got a driver to come down with a Range Rover to tow me onto A30, drove it back all the way in fourth, ckutch was knackered when i got home!

Wife was not amused.

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back