What do you call yours (and why)? (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I would not dream of introducing my van to someone🙄that is a bit weird, but would probably just refer to it by name when talking about getting it MOT‘d and serviced and what to load in it etc. Does that make me less weird🤔 Notice I did not refer to it as a him or her🙄
To me, it's no more weird than people who refer to themselves as 'Rover's [the dog] Daddy', because boasting of your sexual exploits with a canine is likely to get you some attention from the Police ... :giggle:

As Captain Flash Heart never quite said, 'I can get inside Brunhilde and take her to the Pyrenees [not quite heaven, but gaining altitude ...] and back, without Plod getting his baton out'

Steve

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I know lots of people name their vans.

I also find it weird that an inanimate object can be given a name .
“ This is our van Molly”
. What am I supposed to do ?
I am expected to say
“ Hi Molly , I hope you’ve had a great day !”
🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
They know they’ve given an object a name. You’ve been told it but are under no obligation to use that information. 🤷‍♂

We did name our van Harvey. To avoid the “no, it’s not an RV. It’s something similar thought: a motorhome”
We can just agree that it is Harvey 🤪

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Another vote for just calling it a van , which it is . I also find it weird that some call them/ or need to call them names ? Most bizarre

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
I have 'named' the van Irene, as I would not have been able to buy her without an inheritance from my cousin Irene. She has 'Irene' on both sides, back and front now, (quite small though) but we still refer to her as 'The Van' between ourselves, its just my way of showing respect/gratitude to my late cousin. I would never introduce her to anyone as Irene, she's The Van and definitely female! :giggle:

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Both of ours had and have names based on their number plate. The first wx***een became Weenie and the current one starts with wf so became Wilf.
We often play the game as we're out and about naming vehicles by their plates.
We are sad aren't we?
Yes. Not one for giving names to motorhomes but many years ago I had a campervan with the registration LLY...Just couldn't stop myself from calling her Lilly when I saw that.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
They know they’ve given an object a name. You’ve been told it but are under no obligation to use that information. 🤷‍♂

We did name our van Harvey. To avoid the “no, it’s not an RV. It’s something similar thought: a motorhome”
We can just agree that it is Harvey 🤪
We initially called our PVC haRVey because as our son pointed it that it is a Recreational Vehicle. That didn’t last long and like others it is now just the van

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Mine was called the “van”. But more often the “money pit”. Hope yours doesn’t get named that. How about “ Hoho “. The HOliday HOme

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
Never called any of our motorhomes names but the plate on our current van ends in bus so it gets called the bus.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
All our motorhomes have been called Fred, (Fred 1, Fred 2, etc). although we just refer to “the van”.

The name came because, having bought our first one, we reckoned our clothes would be “fredbare” before we had paid for it.

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Aahh, I knew there would be someone intelligent on here that would think it is immature to name inanimate objects 😏
So call me crazy and immature as I have been known to berate (using the odd naughty word) vehicles and household appliances when they have misbehaved and to cajole and plead with same inanimate objects at times and defy anyone to say they have not done the same at some time.
And no I do not refer to my dog as a fur baby🤣 although he has been called some of those naughty words on occasion!
Maturity is not necessarily a measure of intelligence. In fact some of the wisest words I have heard and most astute observations have been from my grandchildren. Closely followed by a series of knock knock and bum jokes😂

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Don't want to go off topic here but how about Lotus:
Lots of trouble, usually serious.
Or, to get back [loosely] to the topic, after each repair or service bill, 'My Fiat are killing me ...' (y);)

Steve

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Always referred to as the van and never gave the Hobby a name as couldn’t think of anything polite but in my head the Bavaria is Bert after my Dad who never lived to see either vans

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Digressing slightly, had a yacht once called "Omega" as OH said "this is the last boat you are having.". Naming Moho's is trickier. Previously Madge the Majestic and currently Carty the Carthago. Not really very imaginative.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
Are you really sure you want to name what’s basically a tin can on wheels🤔

Societal norms dictate that assigning human minds to non-human objects—a phenomenon called anthropomorphism—is a tendency we ought to outgrow; past puberty, those who still talk to their stuffed bunny or name their household appliances are perceived as immature—if not crazy.
Says the man with a demented ostrich as an avatar.....

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
This one is FJ from no plate, previous was Cj it was a CI but logo looked like a j, one before was an escape but was usually referred to as the van, my first was wilbur wagon.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Doggin van

no seriously...was banter back in the day from my mates..AYE AYE>>DOGGIN VAN,
all these years later its stuck and is just normal to ask me if Im out doggin (camping) this weekend.

Was in the Kings Head North wales last week Rhuddlan way, a bday party of 10 on a table, and one shouted, o you in the doggin van next weekend JOhn....nope, sold it and looking for another I said.....WELL...2 young lads on the table next to ours nearly choked laughing.
Was funny really after i explained why and wherefore etc, and they went "yeah yeah" lol
funny how you get used to things, and just talk normal about em.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Years back, my "recreational vehicle" was my work van with a mattress in the back. Affectionately known as the "shag waggon" amongst the lads and "the magic carpet" with young ladies. A friend had a part converted minibus "the bonk bus"

Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
We named our first MH after the number plate and the two that followed also got the same name. It’s a bit like Dr Who regenerating it might look and sound different, but it’s still the same. Anyhow, truly in all innocence, we named it BJ. It has been pointed out more than once that there is a certain activity with the same initials, but BJ it was and BJ it is.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Ours has lots of names. Especially when it isn't behaving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back