Advice about laptop please (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Now I have retired, I am thinking about doing away with my home office and desktop pc. I will want a laptop for basic use, I'm familiar with windows but should I wait until windows 11 is up and running? What about a Chromebook? I do run old software office 2003 and Adobe writer 6 with they run on a Chromebook? Or window 11?

Any advice very welcome thanks

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I rarely use Office 2003 that I have on my old laptop running XP.

Libreoffice is free, runs in Win 10, and for my purposes just as good. It allows me to save documents in Office 2003 format to retain compatibility.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Now I have retired, I am thinking about doing away with my home office and desktop pc. I will want a laptop for basic use, I'm familiar with windows but should I wait until windows 11 is up and running? What about a Chromebook? I do run old software office 2003 and Adobe writer 6 with they run on a Chromebook? Or window 11?

Hi

Don't worry about Windows 10- Windows 11. It will make no difference. You will be able to upgrade for free but probably not worth bothering.

Windows 10 will be supported for a good few years.

Office 2003 might work OK but to be honest its very outdated as is Adobe writer6. Better use a newer version or freeware like open office

Office 2003 will not work with chromebook. Chromebook is fine but its more for internet with occasional use of office stuff rather than the other way around. Depends what you do, if you just want to open the odd word/excel file it would be fine. If you want to run a home office it won't

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

You can't run that software on a Chromebook. The Chromebook is pretty locked down and doesn't run 20 year old Windows software. I'd go straight in with Windows 11 and wait until the laptop you want is available with it pre-installed. It saves you the risk of the almost immediate upgrade that will happen if you buy with Windows 10. Never try to hang on to old versions, they soon run out of support and cause you problems.

Whether Office 2003 and Adobe Writer 6 will work on a modern computer is anyone's guess. You can be sure they won't be receiving security updates!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
WPS Office is also a decent free program and will read / save .doc, .docx, .docm and many other formats - and you can pay a small annual fee to unlock extra features.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I rarely use Office 2003 that I have on my old laptop running XP.

Libreoffice is free, runs in Win 10, and for my purposes just as good. It allows me to save documents in Office 2003 format to retain compatibility.
Thanks I have Libre Office as well, but I find the odd document will not always open in that so I keep the old 2003 as well

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Iā€™m a newbie
iPad Air and keyboard.

It will do 99.9% of 99.9% peoples domestic computer requirements

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had an Apple computer before, a few years ago and never fully understood it, so I'm reluctant to go down that route, I am a bit of a dinosaur and would like to keep my desktop but the space can be put to better use

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Iā€™m a newbie
What phone do you have?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
iPad Air and keyboard.

It will do 99.9% of 99.9% peoples domestic computer requirements
I agree I splashed out on a MacBook Pro but much prefer my iPad Pro so very rarely use laptopšŸ˜Š

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had an Apple computer before, a few years ago and never fully understood it, so I'm reluctant to go down that route, I am a bit of a dinosaur and would like to keep my desktop but the space can be put to better use

You can use your old desktop's monitor and keyboard with the new laptop when sitting down to do real work.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
You can use your old desktop's monitor and keyboard with the new laptop when sitting down to do real work.
Probably not either.
Might be a PS/2 keyboard & mouse
And VGA or DVI
Not the types needed on a newish laptop šŸ¤ŖšŸ‘

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Probably not either.
Might be a PS/2 keyboard & mouse
And VGA or DVI
Not the types needed on a newish laptop šŸ¤ŖšŸ‘

DVI isn't a problem. Can almost certainly get a cable for that. VGA is a bit hit and miss. Depends on the laptop chipset. PS/2 keyboards and mice! It's been a long time since I've seen either of those! I wonder if anyone still has a 5 pin DIN keyboard and a 9 pin D-sub mouse?

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The computer is not too old about 4 years the keyboard and mouse are wireless USB so will work ok but I may not need them, now I'm retired all I do is banking, buying stuff and MHF šŸ˜ƒ

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
The computer is not too old about 4 years the keyboard and mouse are wireless USB so will work ok but I may not need them, now I'm retired all I do is banking, buying stuff and MHF šŸ˜ƒ
You need an iPad - itā€™s childā€™s play. I had a windows machine for 30 years, but wouldnā€™t use one now if you paid me to do it!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You need an iPad - itā€™s childā€™s play. I had a windows machine for 30 years, but wouldnā€™t use one now if you paid me to do it!
It's horses for courses. We had a few iPads at work and wouldn't buy another after apple tried to charge for software support after less than a year when one froze. I now use laptops and an Amazon fire 10 tablet I know it's not as good a display as an iPad or anywhere near the same performance but wanted it just for my guitar music it's fine and only aboutĀ£100. On the buying one theme I wonder if whatever the op choses if it's worth waiting for black Friday

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
DVI isn't a problem. Can almost certainly get a cable for that. VGA is a bit hit and miss. Depends on the laptop chipset. PS/2 keyboards and mice! It's been a long time since I've seen either of those! I wonder if anyone still has a 5 pin DIN keyboard and a 9 pin D-sub mouse?
PS/2 was still a thing when I specā€™d my ~5yo PC and will be a gamerā€™s choice.
Less latency than USB šŸ‘

Until details of the OPā€™s old PC were known (wireless keyboard & mouse. Monitor unknown šŸ¤Ŗ) it was worthwhile saying they could use external devices on a laptop but needed clarification.
DVI does have adaptors options tho - good shout.
HDMI & display port will also have converter options šŸ‘

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
It's horses for courses. We had a few iPads at work and wouldn't buy another after apple tried to charge for software support after less than a year when one froze. I now use laptops and an Amazon fire 10 tablet I know it's not as good a display as an iPad or anywhere near the same performance but wanted it just for my guitar music it's fine and only aboutĀ£100. On the buying one theme I wonder if whatever the op choses if it's worth waiting for black Friday
I agree. I wouldn't spend any of my hard earned on anything apple.

I have a work ipad and mac book. They are OK, but just OK. They are not the bees knees. I am not paying so I don't complain but I wouldn't be spending my money on them.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
The above and watching films on BFI and iPlayer, etc is more or less all I do. I recently bought a Pixelbook and really like its simplicity, good screen, light weight and decent sound. A delight to use compared to the office laptop running loads of programs.
I neither have nor want IT technical knowledge and the Pixelbook suits me fine.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Keep the old PC for the occasional time you might need the software you run. Buy yourself a good 10" tablet (android-samsung) which will do all you need.
I dont like apple products and never have but that's just personal preference.

Isabellah

Free Member
Jan 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Don't own on yet
recently I've bought a laptop just for internet surfing and Office software , A lenovo thinkpad laptop, Ryzen 3 , 8 Gb RAM, 256 SSD, paid nearly 500Ā£

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
If you do buy a new windows PC / laptop, it would be worth checking, before purchase, that the hardware is fully supported by windows 11 even if you initially run windows 10. There are new requirements for windows 11 (especially the "Trusted Platform Module") which windows 10 doesn't demand and could prevent a future move to 11.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-11-specifications?r=1 describes the current requirements for windows 11

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back