New Chausson Chausson X550 (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
Well, I've just put in an order for one of these. I've read all your negative comments but compared to our current 12 year old AS Symbol PVC it's the height of convenience and luxury.

Only thing we will miss is the wide sliding door on a hot day picnic stop in France.

We are limited to a 6 metre length due to a short drive so a bit of length mission-creep wouldn't work for us.

I even thought the storage was good (for 2 people) and a 6kg Gaslow cylinder is all we use at present and its plenty.

As for the bed - for two of us, the drop down looks fantastic. I can't wait!

Peter

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Well, I've just put in an order for one of these. I've read all your negative comments but compared to our current 12 year old AS Symbol PVC it's the height of convenience and luxury.

Only thing we will miss is the wide sliding door on a hot day picnic stop in France.

We are limited to a 6 metre length due to a short drive so a bit of length mission-creep wouldn't work for us.

I even thought the storage was good (for 2 people) and a 6kg Gaslow cylinder is all we use at present and its plenty.

Peter
It does look pretty nice. I'd want a bit more outside storage and I would want a bit more window, but the layout is generally pretty good.

We've recently got a 6m a-class... very similar layout except the bed is over the cab and there's a bit more outside locker. But I am concerned about the width. If I don't like it, I can imagine going to something like the X550 in a couple of years.

Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
On order

Peter
Ditto, we just put a deposit down on an Auto X550 for delivery April.

Not concerned about the negativeness of previous postings, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm a wishful trend setter, love gadgets and appreciate having a vehicle that is easy to drive due to being narrow and relatively short, having had caravans, camper vans and motorhomes in the past.

I love drop down beds, they release so much space in a small vehicle. My last MH a 07 plate La Strada Regent L had a great one complete with Froli springing, it was so comfortable! Unfortunately I don't think the X550 has it, although on the plus side it's electric and can be raised with the bed made for the next evening. No messing about with wonky slats and odd pieces of mattress.

Having the capability for 2 extra belted seats and the occasional second double bed (albeit put together) will be great for occasional trips away with the grandchildren.

Sure it's a bit expensive and I would love some more cupboard space (an offside window isn't really necessary for driving), but life is full of compromises and this MH ticks so many of my boxes.

With a Thule Omnistore awning (for use with Thule Quick Fit tent), external BBQ point & tow bar for our electric bikes we will be loving life and living it large in retirement!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
With a Thule Omnistore awning (for use with Thule Quick Fit tent), external BBQ point & tow bar for our electric bikes we will be loving life and living it large in retirement!
Interestingly, the awning looks like it could be a slight problem as the side isn't entirely flat. The dealer thought a small one would be possible. However, initially we will try without.

I am having a removable towball fitted so we can put a removable bike rack on when needed. Something like this https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-easyfold-xt-2-_-933300

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
It's OK for what it is but not for me, I don't see the problem with no windows on the RHS most vans don't have windows on that side apart from small one in the bedroom.
I can never see the point of wasting space on the hob with an electric ring I know a lot of vans have its just pointless.
thats because you hardly ever have electric

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
thats because you hardly ever have electric
If I did use EHU I wouldn't want the type of hotplate they fit, old fashioned type that takes ages to heat up and cool down, the last thing you want when the other burners are gas.

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
If I did use EHU I wouldn't want the type of hotplate they fit, old fashioned type that takes ages to heat up and cool down, the last thing you want when the other burners are gas.
We've got similar in our current PVC. You are right, we never use it but its a handy place to put hot pans down. It also fits our Remoska exactly.

A 700W induction hob would be better to be run off inverter

Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
On order
Interestingly, the awning looks like it could be a slight problem as the side isn't entirely flat. The dealer thought a small one would be possible. However, initially we will try without.

I am having a removable towball fitted so we can put a removable bike rack on when needed. Something like this https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-easyfold-xt-2-_-933300
Thanks, interesting re the awning, Our dealer said they hadn't seen one yet in the flesh, as there is only one demonstrator touring the country. They also said Chausson were a bit slow providing details for add ons, but assured us that they didn't expect them to be a problem.

We already have the Thule bike rack you mentioned which we use on our Volvo XC40 and it works really well.

Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
On order
I don't see the EHU as a problem, although I agree an induction would be better. Either is a bonus when on hook up. We had an EHU in our caravan and it worked fine, but maybe that's because we have an AGA cooker at home so cooking is a rather slow affair. ::bigsmile:

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Chausson are great design and layout plus innovative I've had two coach builds and both have suffered badly from damp issues ! These were new vehicles sadly had to get rid for peace of mind .

ThinkingAbout

Free Member
Jul 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
Which were the coach built s you had to get rid of?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Just seen a Chausson with two single drop down beds above the facing long seats. The beds individually drop electrically to a low step on height. This leaves an awful lot of usable van in only 7metres. Not sure about the build quality though.
And getting out of the door in an emergency . We have a 160x 200 electric drop down bed but the van has an extra wide door

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Which were the coach built s you had to get rid of?
They the 610 model and the 630 model both had damp issues in the rear garage area plus both rear access doors took on water and had to be replaced . The dealer had two stabs at the damp repair in the garage but still had 90% damp readings ,the dealer said they all had damp issues ! What an admission that is to make . Loved both motorhomes but had no confidence in the build , remember their is timber frames in those damp areas for me very scary

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
drpeej and Retired Now have either of you got your X550’s yet and how do you feel about them? We’re considering one now again for the width
We decided to cancel and stick with our Autosleepers Symbol. The delivery date kept getting pushed back and the price went up. The dealer was happy to cancel and return our deposit.

Now spending some of the money we saved on making improvements to the Symbol :giggle:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Interesting but I with the lack of window crowd , I would love a rear lounge with that drop down bed above. without loosing the 3 windows at the back for vista

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
We ended up with a Hymer. Drop down over cab bed with extensions, only 6 metres, massive lounge, rear bathroom and a good garage. Just felt the quality was so much better than the Chausson.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Too crammed for me, need room to swing a cat.

ThinkingAbout

Free Member
Jul 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking
drpeej which dealer was it that let you cancel your deposit when the delivery was pushed back? We’re considering one that already has been pushed back 3 months

anyone else received theirs yet? Or is March the first delivery for everyone?

Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
On order
Our X550 ordered last October was to be delivered in May, but has now been put back to November (earliest). Our dealer Premier Motorhomes have been great, offering to return our deposit if we find another motorhome somewhere else, so we have started to look around. Apparently, nearly all new models based on the Fiat platform are experiencing similar problems, so no luck so far. As a result it looks increasing likely that we will choose something else.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our X550 ordered last October was to be delivered in May, but has now been put back to November (earliest). Our dealer Premier Motorhomes have been great, offering to return our deposit if we find another motorhome somewhere else, so we have started to look around. Apparently, nearly all new models based on the Fiat platform are experiencing similar problems, so no luck so far. As a result it looks increasing likely that we will choose something else.
Only problem is that the prices have likely gone up for the equivalent MH now so be careful you don't end up out of pocket.

Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
On order
Yes, prices are definitely going up. Some late used motorhomes are now more expensive than when they were new! Crazy, but that's supply and demand for you.

I'm warming to a Roller Team Pegaso 590 Auto, as its the same length as the X550 and has a lot more usable space and storage. Not sure on delivery times as yet (its all a bit vague) and I have some concern over the additional width. My budget has had to increase, but that's my least concern as its hopefully a once in a lifetime purchase.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Yes, prices are definitely going up. Some late used motorhomes are now more expensive than when they were new! Crazy, but that's supply and demand for you.

I'm warming to a Roller Team Pegaso 590 Auto, as its the same length as the X550 and has a lot more usable space and storage. Not sure on delivery times as yet (its all a bit vague) and I have some concern over the additional width. My budget has had to increase, but that's my least concern as its hopefully a once in a lifetime purchase.
That's a shame for you. If they are prepared to honour their original price it might be worth waiting.

x550

Free Member
Apr 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Hi, pick ours up in the next week or so. Its arrived at the dealers and is being registered and PDI'd at the moment. We've seen it in the flesh so know its actually real!! ordered last August/September. From what the dealer was saying there are a lot of supply issues with the new Fiat vans and Chausson themselves are cancelling orders. New orders on a lot of makes are being quoted as 2024 delivery. will post an update when we've got it home.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back