Ski slopes to open 2021 (2 Viewers)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
The French government is the latest to confirm that ski areas there will be open this winter.

The Italian government, which was the only other major ski nation to completely close ski lifts last year, has already said that its ski areas will operate. The Austrian government, which allowed lifts to run last winter but did not allow tourism, has also said ski holidays can return there too. Switzerland has allowed its ski areas to stay open since the end of the first lockdown in Spring 2020.

All of these countries have strict Covid-19 spread prevention measures in place and require skiers to be fully vaccinated or test negative or have evidence of recovery from a recent coronavirus infection, or similar.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I think I'm really unsure about this and what the future holds for skiing. Having caught covid at the onset in a ski resort it will spread easy unless..
there are no crowding in to cable cars
constant cleaning of chair lifts,
Bars that are open outside only
everyone wearing a facemask.
no crowded bars or resteraunts.

that's going to be a really different Ski experience.

I love to ski but I love the whole experience, the camaraderie, the fun, the sense of adventure ,the mountain views and air. I'm not frightened of catching Covid I'm frightened of having a really negative experience when skiing.

I am planning to go at Christmas, but might let you go and report back first.

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Totally agree with Pauls above comments , its reported already that Ski holidays have reached saturation but this is partly due to tourists carrying over previous apartment/chalet/hotel bookings. I myself have booked our annual family group hols (self catering chalet, travel down in minibus) which has to be at half term, the children and grandchildren (15, 11, 8, and new born 1yr ) looking forward and cannot stop the countdown days. apart from that i will keep eye on snow reports and living next to channel tunnel and Dover ferry port does not take much planning to get over the over side instantly.
Now i have never been to Megeve but reports of quite area not over populated plenty of space, so i am researching that area. If conditions are favourable might have dash to La Bresse
1633719137899.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I was up the Zugspitz a couple of days ago 2900m loads of snow that have just arrived. In fact, it looked like the ice age had hit it.:cold:

Had a look around other main ski areas on webcams and they all have lots of snow above 2000m

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
I was up the Zugspitz a couple of days ago 2900m loads of snow that have just arrived. In fact, it looked like the ice age had hit it.:cold:

Had a look around other main ski areas on webcams and they all have lots of snow above 2000m
Levi Ski Resort in Lapland, Finland is gearing up for opening day by pushing huge amounts of snow around the mountain that has been preserved using “snow farming” techniques.

Snow farming typically involves using some kind of reflective tarp that is laid over an existing snowpack to keep it from melting all summer. The tarp is then removed in the fall to allow the ski resort to distribute it around the trails. It’s an excellent way to conserve water by not having to make snow to get the season going.

Levi is planning on opening later this week .

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Hoping to go ourselves BUT no reply from Ski School regarding status of children who are unvaccinated [under 12] or only have one vaccination when travelling being able to attend ski lessons[French children will I assume all be double vaccinated ]
Ditto for the pass sanitaire that everyone needs to eat out as grandkids will fall between the different regulations between us n the French.
Alpe D huez says the lifts will all be open and does not specify if you can only access the lift passes with relevant vaccination certificates ... sigh !

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We are thinking about, thinking about going!

It will be good old Montgenevra again, as we are too lazy to research anywhere else with a ski in ski out aire.

Unlike Haggers we are happy to forego the crowded bars and aviod really busy lifts, not share a bubble lift, eating outside for a lunch and forego evening dining is kinda what we like to do any way. In fact the only time we saw any night life was when Haggers and co turned up to drag us out!!
That was a good week though ⛷️⛷️🏂🎿 :wine::wine:

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Hope to go this winter but I still have concerns
Italy say they plan to run the lifts at 80% capacity but are not planning to limit ski pass numbers?
Crowded apri bars are not my thing anyway

Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Caravanned for 30 years, nearly two years in with the motorhome.
We are also looking/thinking about going Boxing day. Considered using our last caravan previously, but couldn't talk the wife around. We are looking at both Grand Bornand or Les Arcs (Hutoppia) currently . Does anyone have any other suggestions? must have power, at least 10 amps ideally. Don't want a cable car ride to the slopes more a chairlift and ideally not a bus ride to get to the chairlift, in an attempt to keep everything out in the cold so possibly discounting my two suggestions. We managed 2 weeks in France last month and with the change in the testing and hopefully the disbanding of the PCR on return, things will be easier moving forward.
Thank you.

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Hoping to go ourselves BUT no reply from Ski School regarding status of children who are unvaccinated [under 12] or only have one vaccination when travelling being able to attend ski lessons[French children will I assume all be double vaccinated ]
Ditto for the pass sanitaire that everyone needs to eat out as grandkids will fall between the different regulations between us n the French.
Alpe D huez says the lifts will all be open and does not specify if you can only access the lift passes with relevant vaccination certificates ... sigh !
On 30th September 2021 Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne, the French Secretary of State for Tourism, confirmed that the ski lifts will open this winter in French ski resorts, and if the health situation allows, no health pass / pass sanitaire will be needed to access the ski lifts.

If the situation were to deteriorate then a requirement for a pass sanitaire could be applied to use of the ski lifts. A bill on sanitary measures in ski resorts will be presented in parliament on 13th October. Simple and predictable rules are expected to be put in place to help anticipate any changes in protocols. After the presentation to the Council of Ministers, the health vigilance bill will be the subject of a discussion in Parliament which will have to be concluded before mid-November
1634583778567.jpeg

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
I’ll be having Christmas and new year weeks if I have to cross the channel in a dingy.
Flights already booked but not holding my breath

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
We are also looking/thinking about going Boxing day. Considered using our last caravan previously, but couldn't talk the wife around. We are looking at both Grand Bornand or Les Arcs (Hutoppia) currently . Does anyone have any other suggestions? must have power, at least 10 amps ideally. Don't want a cable car ride to the slopes more a chairlift and ideally not a bus ride to get to the chairlift, in an attempt to keep everything out in the cold so possibly discounting my two suggestions. We managed 2 weeks in France last month and with the change in the testing and hopefully the disbanding of the PCR on return, things will be easier moving forward.
Thank you.
How about the Aire at la plagne? Booking has only just opened a day or two ago. It has 16amp electric and is right next to the slopes

Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Hi, yes seen that too. We are familiar with La plagne so it's most certainly added to the list. Just not so sure for this Christmas now. Whilst researching, noticed that we will also need winter tyres which will add a significant cost, and make a ski package flying more cost effective, although not quite with same distancing achieved using the van. Does anyone have any experience of using this aire?.
Thank you.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Winter tyres with the three peaks symbols will not be compulsory in France until 2023. M&S markings are acceptable until then as long as you have a set of chains. Michelin camper tyres are M&S marked so maybe you have those? I'll try and find the official French notification.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Full article here:

Partial translation:
What equipment is now mandatory?
In the areas established by the prefects, light vehicles, utility vehicles and camper vans must:

either have metal or textile snow chains in the trunk, allowing at least two drive wheels to be fitted
or be fitted with four winter tires. For the next 3 winters, from 2021 to 2024, the designation “ winter tire ” will cover all the tires identified by one of the “ M + S ” , “ MS ” or “ M&S ” markings or by the joint presence of the marking of the " alpine symbol " (recognized as " 3PMSF " (3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake) and one of the markings " M + S " , " MS " or " M&S ". From the 1 st November 2024, it will only cover the identified tires by the joint presence of the marking " alpine symbol " (known under the name the name " 3PMSF " (3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake) and one of the markings " M + S " , " MS " or " M&S " .

Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Hi, we have Michelin summer tyres , manual says that standard chains can not be fitted (insufficient clearance) so I did look at the snow sock option. I wonder whether the textile reference covers the snow sock?. There is a chain that can be fitted with takes its fitting from the wheel hub (bought them for my Mercedes car previously) but these are really expensive. Driven to the alps most years since 2005 with three different cars and have never needed the chains typically. However, the Transit looses traction fairly quickly (wet incline) so a winter tyres makes sense and the recent legistration prompts the change even if it's not needed as yet for our piece of mind. So 4 winter tyres and the chains typically makes this an expensive investment with the current uncertainties. Thanks.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Hi, we have Michelin summer tyres , manual says that standard chains can not be fitted (insufficient clearance) so I did look at the snow sock option. I wonder whether the textile reference covers the snow sock?. There is a chain that can be fitted with takes its fitting from the wheel hub (bought them for my Mercedes car previously) but these are really expensive. Driven to the alps most years since 2005 with three different cars and have never needed the chains typically. However, the Transit looses traction fairly quickly (wet incline) so a winter tyres makes sense and the recent legistration prompts the change even if it's not needed as yet for our piece of mind. So 4 winter tyres and the chains typically makes this an expensive investment with the current uncertainties. Thanks.
#PaulandAngie These might be of interest you?
<Broken link removed>

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
PaulandAngie have a look at the La Toussuire ski area there was/is a campsite there with a ski bus stop it is part of the Sybelle ski area. Also Val Cenis, you can walk to the lifts and the campsite was ACSI but haven't checked recently.

Brilliant site at La Rosiere ,again ski bus stops at the site.

There is also a campsite at Aussois again ski bus pick up. Les Deux Alpes has a great Aire I think it was only 6 amps though. Again if there is enough snow ski straight to a chair lift.

Finally Valloire has a campsite, haven't stayed there but there was an Aire with a walkable chair lift access but not sure if the Aire is still there.

Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Thank you for your replies. The campsite at La Rosiere looks good, some more research to do. Tyre size is 235x65xR16 (Ford alloys) but thanks for looking.

Jul 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro 494
Exp
Morning all, two further queries if anyone can help. Firstly, our Benimar is based on the Ford Transit which has minimal space between the front tyre and the suspension behind (30mm). Does anyone have any experience of fitting snow chains or snow socks on a Transit that could offer further advice. We will be fitting winter tyres and the Ford manuals section on snow chains is comically useless. Secondly, the Aire at La Plagne Villages is looking favourite currently. We are new to motorhome Aires and even more so, bookable ones. I am assuming that once you have booked (you get a code) your space is guaranteed, even if it leaves the parking space free until you arrive?. Basically operating like a campsite?. Just wondered, whether someone could stay on once inside basically taking the only available space before you turn up to claim. Assuming its all managed by a parking attendant so to speak?. We could be arriving just before New Years Eve, for 7 nights and would imagine that its already busy from the week before?.

Thank you.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Finally Valloire has a campsite, haven't stayed there but there was an Aire with a walkable chair lift access but not sure if the Aire is still there.
Vslloire , the aire has been closed ( think it had become a camping car park one?) which is a shame as it was just by a good chair lift up at les Verneys .

The campsite down in Vslloire town is on the ski bus route as it’s a bit of a walk carrying skis to get to the slopes.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Morning all, two further queries if anyone can help. Firstly, our Benimar is based on the Ford Transit which has minimal space between the front tyre and the suspension behind (30mm). Does anyone have any experience of fitting snow chains or snow socks on a Transit that could offer further advice. We will be fitting winter tyres and the Ford manuals section on snow chains is comically useless. Secondly, the Aire at La Plagne Villages is looking favourite currently. We are new to motorhome Aires and even more so, bookable ones. I am assuming that once you have booked (you get a code) your space is guaranteed, even if it leaves the parking space free until you arrive?. Basically operating like a campsite?. Just wondered, whether someone could stay on once inside basically taking the only available space before you turn up to claim. Assuming its all managed by a parking attendant so to speak?. We could be arriving just before New Years Eve, for 7 nights and would imagine that its already busy from the week before?.

Thank you.
A snow chain is only 9 or 16mm depending on cheap, or quality, so 30mm of clearance is plenty

Dec 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Exp
New, starting 2021
Full article here:

Partial translation:
What equipment is now mandatory?
In the areas established by the prefects, light vehicles, utility vehicles and camper vans must:

either have metal or textile snow chains in the trunk, allowing at least two drive wheels to be fitted
or be fitted with four winter tires. For the next 3 winters, from 2021 to 2024, the designation “ winter tire ” will cover all the tires identified by one of the “ M + S ” , “ MS ” or “ M&S ” markings or by the joint presence of the marking of the " alpine symbol " (recognized as " 3PMSF " (3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake) and one of the markings " M + S " , " MS " or " M&S ". From the 1 st November 2024, it will only cover the identified tires by the joint presence of the marking " alpine symbol " (known under the name the name " 3PMSF " (3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake) and one of the markings " M + S " , " MS " or " M&S " .
Can I just ask for clarity, sorry my French isn't good.
I think you say above that there are 2 options.

First - Normal(Summer) tires plus min of 2 drive wheel snow chains.
Second - Winter tires on all 4 wheels

As someone with 4 new summer tires(delivered on a new MH) it would be great if the first option is true.

If the first options isn't available, do people hold 2 sets of tires, summer and winter. Or do people fit the 3PMSF for all year use?

Thanks

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Can I just ask for clarity, sorry my French isn't good.
I think you say above that there are 2 options.

First - Normal (Summer) tires plus min of 2 drive wheel snow chains.
Second - Winter tires on all 4 wheels

As someone with 4 new summer tires (delivered on a new MH) it would be great if the first option is true.

If the first options isn't available, do people hold 2 sets of tires, summer and winter. Or do people fit the 3PMSF for all year use?

Thanks
If you open the article in google chrome it translates automatically. As per my partial translation above it does say there are two options. 1: To keep a set of chains in the boot. 2: to fit winter tyres.
This is a link to the full article in english, please satisfy yourself that the information is correct ;)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I hadn't noticed this line before:
Failure to carry snow chains in your trunk or to install winter tyres in your vehicle in the departments concerned will not be punished this winter.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I'm booked 5 weeks in Austria Feb/March
I don't worry about chairlifts - cold, sunshine and gloves should be OK
I don't go to sweaty crowded bars anyway.
Slight concern about crowded cable cars (Solden and St Anton) as the last time I had bad flu was from a hacking large German lady in a cable car down Mayrhofen.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Slight concern about crowded cable cars (Solden and St Anton) as the last time I had bad flu was from a hacking large German lady in a cable car down Mayrhofen.
That big one out of St Anton is a heart stopper when it goes over the edge on the way back down!

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
5 weeks is a good trip. Are you going in your van?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back