A few points from our Pet Passport on 22 June 2021
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I can answer that - she advised she would not be able to do this as she had not administered the "British" dose. Instead she will give him another booster at a cost of €20. As I've had to book his booster in here on 6 October, before the first dose expires on 13 October, rabies should be the least of Fido's worries...

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
For info - the vet I found that would issue an AHC for £120 would only do so if I registered with them. Which would mean deregistering from my current vet. Who are very convenient, and apart from wanting to charge me £250 for the AHC, I am perfectly happy with! And so it looks like I will either have to pay the £250 or take a chance on the £98 online option at Folkestone, with the stress of only being able to pick it up on the morning of departure. Heigh ho....

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Both my dogs are European with eu pp but the one had to have his rabies booster mid January this year which voided his pp for EU travel
Did get a AHC £135 ..my vet did recommend getting a eu vet to redo the rabies booster to make it eu legal again

A lovely Portuguese vet has agreed to do this for us ...
Allowed 1 year vacc if for just travelling requirements
Allowed 3year vacc if a resident or long term in Portugal
As the pp showed how much we have stayed in Portugal a 3year vacc was done

Cost...
FUll check over
Nails trimmed
Rabies jab
Consultation
€30 (consultation fee was €2 )

Kath

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
For info - the vet I found that would issue an AHC for £120 would only do so if I registered with them. Which would mean deregistering from my current vet. Who are very convenient, and apart from wanting to charge me £250 for the AHC, I am perfectly happy with! And so it looks like I will either have to pay the £250 or take a chance on the £98 online option at Folkestone, with the stress of only being able to pick it up on the morning of departure. Heigh ho....
Why would you have to de-register from your existing vet? As a fulltimer I am rarely in the same place twice for Nix’s normal annual boosters. She is registered with at least 6 vets across the country …..

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi, did she transfer rabies info over from old UK passport or did your dog have to have another booster? We normally use Vets at La Mailleraye or Montreuil for the wormer & know neither will issue an EU pet passport. We're in France at the moment, due to return to the UK shortly.

Many thanks
This is how the vet in RoI did it for me 'rabies vaccination transferred from GB passport *******'

It'll be interesting to see if you can get a french vet to issue. You may have more success in Belgium ?
IMG_20211004_121625257~2.jpg

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Why would you have to de-register from your existing vet? As a fulltimer I am rarely in the same place twice for Nix’s normal annual boosters. She is registered with at least 6 vets across the country ….
That's what I was told. They would transfer dog's records across, which would automatically deregister him from them. Ironically, it is beginning to seem easier to get PP than AHC..

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have been told that vets are so busy at the moment that they will only take appointments for animals registered to their practice.
Maybe just an excuse though

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
That's what I was told. They would transfer dog's records across, which would automatically deregister him from them. Ironically, it is beginning to seem easier to get PP than AHC..
Nix’s records have never been transferred anywhere. :unsure:

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
We're registered with more than 1 Vet, and used Abbeywell Vets at Folkestone to get the AHC 2 weeks ago, as they said it's the norm for Vets to request your dogs records from another Vet. We could 100% recommend Abbeywell Vets, also if there were any issues with the AHC at the Tunnel, they're only 5 minutes away. Hope you're able to get sorted & get away 🤞

tkk

Jun 9, 2014
notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640
Exp
newbie but learning fast
Hi, did she transfer rabies info over from old UK passport or did your dog have to have another booster? We normally use Vets at La Mailleraye or Montreuil for the wormer & know neither will issue an EU pet passport. We're in France at the moment, due to return to the UK shortly.

Many thanks
I thought the La Mailleraye vet would

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We used La Mailleraye a couple of days ago for worming. They had a closely typed A4 sheet there explaining why they couldn’t issue passports to English dogs. Unfortunately I didn’t bother reading it since we’ve just got a Belgium passport. They did confirm, after a phone call to head office, that they could give a 3 year rabies jab when required

I thought the La Mailleraye vet would

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
La Mailleraye is a minor branch office of the vet at Bourg-Achard, which in turn is part of the Mon Veto group, a network of 77 clinics. IMHO large groups like this both stick to the letter of the law, or if in doubt stay on the side of safety.

The vet we used in Belgium was a one man (woman) band, and as such it seems to me to be much more prepared to be 'flexible'.

BTW the worming charge this time was €15.50 per dog using our tablets.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
BTW the worming charge this time was €15.50 per dog using our tablets.
Bit of a pain as I noticed that the tablet we use Netgard is on the not approved list for some reason.
Are they hot on this do you know as these seem to agree with mine and they have had 1 tick each in 13 years, don’t want to upset them with different tablets if I can help it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Bit of a pain as I noticed that the tablet we use Netgard is on the not approved list for some reason.
Are they hot on this do you know as these seem to agree with mine and they have had 1 tick each in 13 years, don’t want to upset them with different tablets if I can help it.

nexgard is tick and flea treatment only not worming and Nexgard spectra does cover some worming also but not the as full worming cover of a dedicated wormer.

we use nexgard and then milbamax wormer.

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We've used the vets at La Mailleraye many times, the last time being March 2020 and the price then was 15.50E with your own tablet, so the price hasn't increased👍
We've always supplied our own drontal plus wormers

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
The worming tablet(s) used MUST be on the approved list, and they are very strict, both with the type of tablet and when it is given

From .gov website

Tapeworm treatment for dogs​

A vet must treat your dog for tapeworm and record it in the pet passport or health certificate every time you want to bring it to Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland).
The treatment must have been given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you enter Great Britain. Your dog can be refused entry or put into quarantine if you do not follow this rule.
You do not need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to Great Britain from Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Malta or Norway.
The treatment must:
  • be approved for use in the country it’s being given in
  • contain praziquantel or an equivalent proven to be effective against the Echinococcus multilocularis tapeworm
The most important bit is the last line

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
maz

Well this is disappointing! Just received the following response from the Bruges vet recommended by 15edward -

"Unfortunately, since the UK is no longer part of the European Union, we are not allowed to give you a EU pet passport if you do not live in Belgium. This means you will need to get a new health certificate every time you visit the EU. The health certificate is valid for 4 months."

Doesn't seem much to be gained from arguing 🙁. I'll try another vet....

We used her this trip, a few days ago. Only query was they said they had entered my ‘old’ UK address, and would leave me to fill out my ‘new’ Belgium address.
I took that to mean they were turning a blind eye to any requirement for Belgium residency. At the end of the day we got the passport. €49.90. You can park outside. It took us 1h45m from Gravelline

Cheers maz - gives me a warm glow of satisfaction to think that at least our pets are able to bypass Brexit 😉

I've found this page of the official EU website via the Facebook AHC group

The relevant part is :- From 1 January 2021, EU pet passports issued to a pet owner resident in Great Britain are no longer valid for travel with pets from Great Britain to an EU country or Northern Ireland.

I find it difficult to believe, but the way it reads is that a resident in GB isn't entitled to hold any EU pet Passport rather than an EU passport issued by a UK vet. . It's probably an example of very poorly written interpretation of legislation but I'm wondering if this might be the source of some of the confusion in obtaining EU pet passports.
I would possibly try and obtain clarity, but I'm a great believer in not asking a question unless you are certain you are going to like the answer. If nobody asks, there is less chance of somebody saying 'no'.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
maz

I've found this page of the official EU website via the Facebook AHC group

The relevant part is :- From 1 January 2021, EU pet passports issued to a pet owner resident in Great Britain are no longer valid for travel with pets from Great Britain to an EU country or Northern Ireland.

I find it difficult to believe, but the way it reads is that a resident in GB isn't entitled to hold any EU pet Passport rather than an EU passport issued by a UK vet. . It's probably an example of very poorly written interpretation of legislation but I'm wondering if this might be the source of some of the confusion in obtaining EU pet passports.
I would possibly try and obtain clarity, but I'm a great believer in not asking a question unless you are certain you are going to like the answer. If nobody asks, there is less chance of somebody saying 'no'.
Hi Malcolm. I’m a member of that Facebook group and there is an awful lot of nonsense posted on it - mainly by a couple of people to whom I’ve already pointed out the error of their interpretation. :RollEyes:

It is a badly worded paragraph and is meant to refer to UK-issued pet passports - otherwise the page from which it is taken makes no sense. There are a fair number of Facebook posters getting their knickers in a knot about it - some scaremongering, some probably just in ignorance.

PS. You will be able to recognise me on the AHC Facebook group because I use the same kitten avatar as on here.

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
When returning to the UK using a AHC, can anyone confirm that the Vet only has to complete the bottom section of page 4?

Thanks

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
When returning to the UK using a AHC, can anyone confirm that the Vet only has to complete the bottom section of page 4?

Thanks
I seem to remember that was the only part she filled in but cannot be sure as I only asked her to fill in the AHC as a back up. We have acquired a French passport for the dog whilst away. The pet passport control only wanted her new French passport so cannot tell you if our AHC was correctly filled in.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Hi Malcolm. I’m a member of that Facebook group and there is an awful lot of nonsense posted on it - mainly by a couple of people to whom I’ve already pointed out the error of their interpretation. :RollEyes:

It is a badly worded paragraph and is meant to refer to UK-issued pet passports - otherwise the page from which it is taken makes no sense. There are a fair number of Facebook posters getting their knickers in a knot about it - some scaremongering, some probably just in ignorance.

PS. You will be able to recognise me on the AHC Facebook group because I use the same kitten avatar as on here.
You must have seen the official reply a group member had then which quoted that paragraph word for word. The problem is the longer that stays there the more permanent it becomes. On the other hand if somebody specifically asks if a 3rd country resident, i.e. non EU resident, can obtain an EU passport for their dog which spends the majority of it's life outside the control of the EU how can they say yes? It would make a mockery of the EU pet controls.

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
You must have seen the official reply a group member had then which quoted that paragraph word for word. The problem is the longer that stays there the more permanent it becomes. On the other hand if somebody specifically asks if a 3rd country resident, i.e. non EU resident, can obtain an EU passport for their dog which spends the majority of it's life outside the control of the EU how can they say yes? It would make a mockery of the EU pet controls.
Its there to ensure dogs and cats are fully vaccinated for rabies prior crossing borders - with some ancillary controls regarding tapeworm treatments How and which bits of the EU pet controls would it make a mockery of?
The Pets passport scheme is not just EU - although it originated there. Australia, US and Canada are all part of it.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Interestingly Kerry has an Irish EU passport (I do not). It is expired. My UK vet has suggested a trip to Ireland might be beneficial.

When I got her, her microchip corresponded to her passport but wasn't recorded on any database.
Passport matched her chip, that was enough.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Its there to ensure dogs and cats are fully vaccinated for rabies prior crossing borders - with some ancillary controls regarding tapeworm treatments How and which bits of the EU pet controls would it make a mockery of?
The Pets passport scheme is not just EU - although it originated there. Australia, US and Canada are all part of it.
I understand your argument, but if it’s purely a vaccination record, why aren’t UK passports issued prior to 31/12/20 still accepted. I can well believe that it could be spite because we left their club, but would they make it that obvious? What is the reasoning behind the concept of 3rd party countries?
Anyway, I originally just wondered whether or not the wording of an official EU statement was causing some vets/countries to hesitate over issuing pet passports to UK residents.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
You must have seen the official reply a group member had then which quoted that paragraph word for word. The problem is the longer that stays there the more permanent it becomes.
There are a couple of people on the AHC Facebook page (BD and JG) who seem to want to deter any Brits from obtaining an EU pet passport. They are very fond of quoting that paragraph over and over again, which is admittedly badly worded. When they are challenged to produce actual evidence for their interpretations they always fail. One of them (JG - who may possibly be BD in drag :wink: ) supposedly emailed the relevant authority with the exact question you asked - all they got in response was a standard reply covering all the usual basics but no specifics.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We have today been to a vets near Calais with the intention of getting French passports for our dogs. It was a vet that has issued passports to UK dogs recently and we did check by e mail that this was possible. Unfortunately this proved not to be the case (problem with the translation was given as the reason!)
The actual vet was happy to oblige and got as far as giving one of the dogs a rabies vaccination but when passed over to the administrator for the paperwork to be completed the answer was no - not without a French address. We came up with an address within about 20 mins but not acceptable at this time as we had inadvertently already confirmed we were travelling home tomorrow and not stopping for 3 months.
The upshot of all this is that one of our dogs had a rabies jab that wasn’t necessary (not due until 2023) and no passports issued. The vet acknowledged the confusion and didn’t charge for the unnecessary vaccination!
PLEASE folks if attempting to get a passport check, check and check again.

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We got our Pet Passport in Ireland a couple of months ago; no problem transferring over rabies jab details and no need for Irish residence; plus we had a good holiday in Ireland. No language difficulties either!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back