Have I stumbled across the perfect campvan carbs? (2 Viewers)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I reckon I've stumbled on the perfect carbohydrate for campervan living. Little packets of coucous from Aldi. Cheaper than chips! And healthier too. Requires just 160ml of boiled water to make, saving water and gas. Boils in no time. No messy pan to wash up. Ready in five minutes. Can be eaten out of the mug it's made in. Tasty too. Think I'm on to a winner! Do you make it in your van or MH?

IMG_20211008_204530.jpg

Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
I reckon I've stumbled on the perfect carbohydrate for campervan living. Little packets of coucous from Aldi. Cheaper than chips! And healthier too. Requires just 160ml of boiled water to make, saving water and gas. Boils in no time. No messy pan to wash up. Ready in five minutes. Can be eaten out of the mug it's made in. Tasty too. Think I'm on to a winner! Do you make it in your van or MH?

View attachment 546078
We do!!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Perfect,but get some tuna in it for your protein as cous cous is v low, and dare I say it, a small knob of butter for essential fats = a perfect healthy meal

Healthy and cheap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Perfect,but get some tuna in it for your protein as cous cous is v low, and dare I say it, a small knob of butter for essential fats = a perfect healthy meal

Healthy and cheap.

I had chicken tikka pakoras for protein. Reduced in Morrisons. šŸ‘ And garlic mayo for dipping. Fatty but no so healthy!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Cor Blimmy!, you can tell you are back at UNI.!:rolleyes:
Sorry but I hate Couscous, & Bulger Wheat, Soya etc, I normally eat anything put in front of me, except those items.

How about those packets of Chinese/Thai/ Malaysian instant noodles?, discovered while back packing years ago, and the far easterns fill their baskets at the Chinese Deli shops each time we visit.
Not being able to read the label for which flavour it is, is half the fun, sometimes you do get a clue though, like a small picture of a Chicken or a Prawn.:giggle: Yet I wont go near Pot Noodle as its completely different texture, and technique in making apparently.
Bon Appetit.
LES

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Cor Blimmy!, you can tell you are back at UNI.!:rolleyes:
Sorry but I hate Couscous, & Bulger Wheat, Soya etc, I normally eat anything put in front of me, except those items.

How about those packets of Chinese/Thai/ Malaysian instant noodles?, discovered while back packing years ago, and the far easterns fill their baskets at the Chinese Deli shops each time we visit.
Not being able to read the label for which flavour it is, is half the fun, sometimes you do get a clue though, like a small picture of a Chicken or a Prawn.:giggle: Yet I wont go near Pot Noodle as its completely different texture, and technique in making apparently.
Bon Appetit.
LES

Yes, student cooking combines with van living. I should have seen this coming. šŸ˜‚

But I don't like pot noodles and they're very expensive really.

Aldi have started doing some Asian inspired instant noodles in a pot too. My mate got me to try them. They're okay. Better than pot noodles. In terms of texture and taste they are more like the real thing. But still not all that great.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

View attachment 546078

Used similar stuff for hillwalking wild camping. Lightweight, can pick the water from a stream, with additional sub-micron filters if there's kids. Much more space efficient than having a separate plastic cup per meal.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
How is your course going?

Reactions: JJ

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

View attachment 546078
We haven't tried the Aldi version but have used mostly the Tesco version, the Mediterranean mixed veg variety is good. But we don't use it on its own, typically its used as a stuffing for peppers with blue cheese on top. Cooked in an oven in our case but I guess it might be possible on a stove top somehow?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Not tried those but do like couscous might get some in for dobbie him on the bike hates them

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
Used similar stuff for hillwalking wild camping. Lightweight, can pick the water from a stream, with additional sub-micron filters if there's kids. Much more space efficient than having a separate plastic cup per meal.
Yes, weā€˜ve done the same for multi day hikes. Cous cous, beef jerky, pot noodles, instant porridge!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes, student cooking combines with van living. I should have seen this coming. šŸ˜‚

But I don't like pot noodles and they're very expensive really.

Aldi have started doing some Asian inspired instant noodles in a pot too. My mate got me to try them. They're okay. Better than pot noodles. In terms of texture and taste they are more like the real thing. But still not all that great.
Expensive?

You buy them when they are on offer 50p each lol

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
The old saw, ' If you eat all that veggie hay you won't live for ever, it will just feel like it'.
I quite liked the issued Compo rations, but later joiners told me that exercise food called 'Meals Ready to Eat' was 'Meals really for Ethiopians!'

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
(See Below) This is the latest "sponsored" go for meal replacement food that a lot of Full Time Van Vloggers are pushing at the moment.
Even with 10% discount on our 1st order I dont think I would pay the price, rather have real food if you get my drift, but if in a rush or on the move hiking up some mountain, then I can see the benefits...maybe.:unsure: Fits right in with vegan crowd, I guess they need all the protein help they can get.
LES

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
(See Below) This is the latest "sponsored" go for meal replacement food that a lot of Full Time Van Vloggers are pushing at the moment.
Even with 10% discount on our 1st order I dont think I would pay the price, rather have real food if you get my drift, but if in a rush or on the move hiking up some mountain, then I can see the benefits...maybe.:unsure: Fits right in with vegan crowd, I guess they need all the protein help they can get.
LES

As someone with a degree in food and nutrition I feel very uncomfortable with "meal replacers" and diet shakes etc.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
As someone with a degree in food and nutrition I feel very uncomfortable with "meal replacers" and diet shakes etc.
I wont ask to you to Spill The Beans then, as I know they are supposed to be "Nutritious" They are also full of sugar.:giggle:
LES

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
Couscous is a very versatile food. Hot or cold. Uncooked it has a long shelf life and when cooked and used as a salad it will keep in the fridge for several days.
I'm not so keen on the larger Israeli couscous. I don't know why.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
The old saw, ' If you eat all that veggie hay you won't live for ever, it will just feel like it'.
Or as Billy Connolly put it

They say if I eat healthily I can live another 10 years, only it's not 10 years when you're in you're 30s and s******g like a rabbit, it's 10 years in your 80s when you daren't get out of the chair fast for fear of shi****g yourself

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Love couscous! Aldi microwave rice is also very versatile and only about 40p for 2 portions.

As I donā€™t have a microwave in my van, I usually stir it into my chilli/Bolog/soup and heat through, warm it in a pan with a splash of water or put it in a sieve and pour boiling water over it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back