Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I am a little confused, and not for the first time ...

I just bought my Autoquest 140. On the plate by the habitation door it says the max is 3200 KG. It was also sold to me as a 2.2HDi engine.

In the manual the max weight for a 2.2 is 3400KG, max for 2.0 is 3200.

When I look under the bonnet, the plate with the VIN number says max weight is 3400Kg.

So I don't know if this means I have a 2.2 or a 2.0 engine. And I also don't know who would be right - the Peugeot base vehicle plate, or the Elddis specification plate.

I am not overly concerned on engine size, as it pulls ok anyway, but I am concerned that by one measure 3250 kilos gives me a nice comfort margin, and by the other I risk being pulled as overweight.. :Doh:

Any ideas from the technical gurus?

Thanks
David

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
what does it say on the v5,the weight it show's on the vin plate should be ignored, as its the weight it show's on the converstion that is important:thumb:
my vin states 3500kg ,my converstion states 3400kg if i got pulled its the converstion they would go by:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
what does it say on the v5,the weight it show's on the vin plate should be ignored, as its the weight it show's on the converstion that is important:thumb:
my vin states 3500kg ,my converstion states 3400kg if i got pulled its the converstion they would go by:thumb:

well I only picked the van up on saturday so waiting for the V5 to come back from Swansea. just trying to get ahead of the game since we already spent 2 nights away in it ::bigsmile:

Photos are attached, but Chris, I am thinking you might be right.

Attachments

• elddis-version.jpg
    elddis-version.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 46
  • peugeot-version.jpg
    peugeot-version.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 50

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

well I only picked the van up on saturday so waiting for the V5 to come back from Swansea. just trying to get ahead of the game since we already spent 2 nights away in it ::bigsmile:

Photos are attached, but Chris, I am thinking you might be right.

I agree with Chris.

As you said in your OP, David, the maximum for a 2 litre engine (as in your former Autoquest 100 like ours) is 3200 Kg but Elddis plated them with MTPLM of 2900 Kg and that is the figure which matters.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
in pic two
1st max gross weight, but overidden by converstion plate
2nd max train weight this is your max weight when towing including trailer.
3rd max front axel weight
4th max rear axel weight
hope this helps:thumb:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks all. Will wait for V5 and then tell dealer he mis-sold and can I have a free xxxx as compo.:thumb:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thought you might be interested in an update. Move on if not :Smile:

OK, I now have confirmation from Peugeot that my engine is a 2.2 - therefore by Elddis's own manual the gross should be 3400, not 3200.

revenue weight on my V5 says 3200 but it appears all I have to do is to return the V5 to DVLA and get revenue weight changed to 3400 (which they are happy with because their revenue does not change till over 3500).

Also spoke with my brother who is a traffic police officer. As far as they are concerned it is only the VIN plate they go by, so they would compare my actual weight to the 3400 on the plate under the bonnet, NOT to the Elddis plate saying 3200.

Net outcome, Elddis made a mistake with their plate (they thought it was a 2.0 when I gave them the VIN number!), and first registration continued the error. And their customer service is pants, because their record keeping is shocking. :RollEyes:

thinking about it, when people use companies like SVTech to up or down rate the weight, it is a replacement plate to put under the bonnet they send out isn't it? so it would seem logical that is the one that counts, rather than the one on the habitation wall.

Anyway, all sorted now :thumb:

David

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if your elddis is built on an Alko chassis, that could be the reason for downplating it by the converter.

they may use a slightly lighter rated chassis to the original for economy on their part.

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I hear what you say, but the manual clearly says the only factor in max gross is the engine size. 2.0 is 3200, 2.2 is 3400. They have just screwed up on the engine it seems.

David

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Interesting stuff...

Just looked at my V5 for the van....

It has no weights mentioned anywhere whatsoever... Is that normal?:Eeek:

It also says only 2 seat including driver, but we have 2 additional forward facing properly secured 3 point belted seats in the back, it's 6 berth.

Apart from that there is very little info at all, most lines are blank.

Am I going to have to visit the DVLA, guess so for the seating alone.....:cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Interesting stuff...

Just looked at my V5 for the van....

It has no weights mentioned anywhere whatsoever... Is that normal?:Eeek:

It also says only 2 seat including driver, but we have 2 additional forward facing properly secured 3 point belted seats in the back, it's 6 berth.

Apart from that there is very little info at all, most lines are blank.

Am I going to have to visit the DVLA, guess so for the seating alone.....:cry:

personally i wouldnt bother as long as its correctly taxed.....PLG up to 3500kg or PHGV if over 3500kg.
its printed on the tax disc...PLG/PHGV

just checked my log books....inc a copy of the V5 for my old (scrapped) suzuki SJ410 Jeep, which threw up an interesting fact....considering the unladen weight is far below one ton, the gross weight was 3499kg, with a 970cc petrol engine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: god knows what the train weight was :Eeek:

Volvo V70 estate = 0 seats

Toyota camry saloon = 0 seats

Suzuki SJ410 = 0 seats

my 7500kg RV = 0 seats

all four have blank entries in the seating section along with many other blank sections.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Thought you might be interested in an update. Move on if not :Smile:

OK, I now have confirmation from Peugeot that my engine is a 2.2 - therefore by Elddis's own manual the gross should be 3400, not 3200.

revenue weight on my V5 says 3200 but it appears all I have to do is to return the V5 to DVLA and get revenue weight changed to 3400 (which they are happy with because their revenue does not change till over 3500).

Also spoke with my brother who is a traffic police officer. As far as they are concerned it is only the VIN plate they go by, so they would compare my actual weight to the 3400 on the plate under the bonnet, NOT to the Elddis plate saying 3200.

Net outcome, Elddis made a mistake with their plate (they thought it was a 2.0 when I gave them the VIN number!), and first registration continued the error. And their customer service is pants, because their record keeping is shocking. :RollEyes:

thinking about it, when people use companies like SVTech to up or down rate the weight, it is a replacement plate to put under the bonnet they send out isn't it? so it would seem logical that is the one that counts, rather than the one on the habitation wall.

Anyway, all sorted now :thumb:

David

No. They sent us a new 'plate' to replace the habitation plate. They used the info off the VIN plate to find out whether the vehicle could be uprated, but the plate they sent is now firmly stuck next to the original hab. plate.

John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i very often down plate vehicles ,its a voluntary exercise . no charge by dvla. usually the train weight on mini artics, i also up them again later again voluntarily . just need o show the original. you can have several different plates on the same vehicle depends who,s driving . its just a game. if using the lower plate dont overload it.
you may find with abit of homework you maybe able to up it over the 3,500kg mark ,ideal then cheaper road tax. just need to check specs. like i say its a joke really.
cheers alan.

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
No. They sent us a new 'plate' to replace the habitation plate. They used the info off the VIN plate to find out whether the vehicle could be uprated, but the plate they sent is now firmly stuck next to the original hab. plate.

Thanks for clearing that up - I really did not know. :thumb:
John

hi, i very often down plate vehicles ,its a voluntary exercise . no charge by dvla. usually the train weight on mini artics, i also up them again later again voluntarily . just need o show the original. you can have several different plates on the same vehicle depends who,s driving . its just a game. if using the lower plate dont overload it.
you may find with abit of homework you maybe able to up it over the 3,500kg mark ,ideal then cheaper road tax. just need to check specs. like i say its a joke really.
cheers alan.

So what is the basis that the motorhome manufacturer uses to set the weight in the first place? I was actually thinking about that for self-builds. how do you know what weight is legal on a selfbuild? do you just assume that the weight limit on the chassis vehicle applies? sounds a minefield, and just ever so slightly random :Eeek:

David

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
So what is the basis that the motorhome manufacturer uses to set the weight in the first place? I was actually thinking about that for self-builds. how do you know what weight is legal on a selfbuild? do you just assume that the weight limit on the chassis vehicle applies? sounds a minefield, and just ever so slightly random :Eeek:

David

SVTech wanted to know wheel size. The fact that I had air rides fitted at the rear would also have have allowed me to uprate to 4.2t (but didn't want to). So it seems that converters may change the wheel size from that supplied by the 'white van' manufacturers, so what else? Don't know all the details though.:Sad:

John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. unless you can prove different use the chassis plate.
if you want to upgrade then people like gareth at sv tec have done alot of research into chassis mods. they can change the weights because they know.
i normally down plate differen rules apply. i do it so some vehicles like mine can be driven on a c1+e licence.
some i down plate so they can be driven on a b+e licence. its amazing but a b+e can allow more train weight than a c1+e with the normal restriction 107. at first it looks like a mine field ,but on closer inspection its all laid out and they tell you justwhat you need etc.
there was a time lowering a 10ton truck to 7.5 ton involved putting a piece of steel under the bump stop,but if it waasnt painted yellow it wouldnt pass the inspection. so paint it yellow.
it is a really interesting subject .i,ve spent years looking at it but take my hat off to sv tec and others like them.i find sv tec talk a better language than some.
have fun thats what lifes about. if you want more info pm me i can give you m tel nuber ,its complicated writting easier talking.
cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back