An even stronger case for aires-but (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Been watching Village SOS on Beeb one it struck me that if it is possible an aire would bring in people to keep the village shops and pubs open,but with townies and Yuppies buying a 'pied a terre' they would probably object as they do to the smells and noise.
2 Cases spring to mind firstly a girl guides campsite,established on the edge of a village been ther for about 20+ years,then a few years ago some pratt buys a house with a long drive which puts them almost a mile from the site. They then apply for AND GET an injunction to abate noise after 10p.m.. Whats happening is it golf club,lodge or school?
Second case a pratt buys a cottage to use as a weekend retreat and complains that the adjacent farm is noisy-cattle and sheep,tractors at harvest time and smelly-muck spreading.
On one occasion the local police were called out buy him to visit the farmer because his cockerel was noisy. It turned out he played golf with the chief constable!
I think cases and scenarios like this and not travellers are the real reason for no UK aires.:Angry:

Squire

Free Member
Dec 30, 2010
Funster No
Been watching Village SOS on Beeb one it struck me that if it is possible an aire would bring in people to keep the village shops and pubs open,but with townies and Yuppies buying a 'pied a terre' they would probably object as they do to the smells and noise.
2 Cases spring to mind firstly a girl guides campsite,established on the edge of a village been ther for about 20+ years,then a few years ago some pratt buys a house with a long drive which puts them almost a mile from the site. They then apply for AND GET an injunction to abate noise after 10p.m.. Whats happening is it golf club,lodge or school?
Second case a pratt buys a cottage to use as a weekend retreat and complains that the adjacent farm is noisy-cattle and sheep,tractors at harvest time and smelly-muck spreading.
On one occasion the local police were called out buy him to visit the farmer because his cockerel was noisy. It turned out he played golf with the chief constable!
I think cases and scenarios like this and not travellers are the real reason for no UK aires.:Angry:

I'd like to think so too, but having had first hand experience of 'travellers' I know differently. Their anti-social behaviour has to be seen to be believed ! Any word between 'disgraceful' and 'disgusting' will do ! :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
People who think they can arrange the countryside to suit themselves would make me laugh if they weren't such a pain in the ar**.
Many years ago people moved from London to our village and complained about the cows making a noise, smell of the muck spreading etc....
Brit advertised for a house wanted here--long list of requirements ending--"must have views of fields, which should be small"
Those bl****** farmers--imagine not having your fields the right size to suit potential house buyers.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We seem to be living in the ever increasing world of the NIMBY!...... :Eeek:

Yes and i would put my hand up to being one:Blush::whatthe:

Id like to stay on an aire in a nice area , with stunning views but would object strongly if one was to be built at the back of my house .

Though if i moved to a village and bought next to a farm or school or pub i would expect noise and smells from them . You would obviously know what you were getting into , so in my opinion have no rights to complain.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes and i would put my hand up to being one:Blush::whatthe:

Id like to stay on an aire in a nice area , with stunning views but would object strongly if one was to be built at the back of my house .

It's refreshing to see an honest answer.. and I agree with you..

The same applies to off site camping..

A while back I asked how many would object to motorhomes parked up and staying overnight on THEIR street, outside THEIR door.. No one answered in the negative.. so I assumed all who read would be happy if their street turned into an unofficial aire :RollEyes:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
If id have seen it , i would have commented on it , Jim.
I would hate campers parking outside my house. Especially if i had bought the place for the sea views etc and they were being blocked by them .
I think its inconsiderate for MH owners to park willy nilly in popular tourist areas for days on end. Often when you can pay as little as a fiver a night and stay on a nice quiet farm not a public roadside. BUT if they are not getting parking tickets you will always get people doing it.

( Even though i know the road doesn't belong to me , i dont like other cars parking outside our house let alone a big white box :ROFLMAO:)

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
I live in Seasalter and take the dog for his walk at Tankerton slopes.
In both places I smile when i see M/Homes parked up and often talk to the owners if they are there.
But
When I see people there day after day after day I think "Well come on its not a site -move off and let someone else have a go"
Im proud of my Council and the New Dover Road P&Ride Aires and call or even stay there if a friend comes to park there.
Its only £2.50 for up to 6 people to go to town on a bus.
People stay there more than 2 days but we love to see that it is used and that people enjoy the sights, food and sounds of Canterbury.
More towns need to be tolerant as we are in this part of Kent.
There is never any mess its always clean and tidy as is Marine parade Dover and St Margarets on the Cliffe.
So well done everyone who visits us :thumb:

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
One of the reasons put forward against aire type parking is the locals/council fears that it gets hijacked by itinerants, hence Frech aires are only intended for motorhomes.

Ironically our council has provide a fenced in site for 'travellers' but activelly reduced access in and around the town for larger vehicles. Busses have to go the wrong way round the roundabout and the whole town comes to a stop when a 40footer tries to make deliveries.:whatthe:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
One of the reasons put forward against aire type parking is the locals/council fears that it gets hijacked by itinerants, hence Frech aires are only intended for motorhomes.

Ironically our council has provide a fenced in site for 'travellers' but activelly reduced access in and around the town for larger vehicles. Busses have to go the wrong way round the roundabout and the whole town comes to a stop when a 40footer tries to make deliveries.:whatthe:

When we were working with Redcar & Cleveland council re the Guisborough facility the potential problem of "itinerants" was mentioned - but dismissed straight away because the coach park to be used had been there for decades with no problems.

There is a legal requirement for councils to provide sites for "travellers" so that will be the reason for the fenced off site.

I don't know where you live so couldn't comment on general large vehicle access. In general, though, many of our roads/shopping areas were never designed for 40 footers so problems are only caused when companies insist on using them instead of smaller vehicles of appropriate size.

I didn't watch the Village SOS programme mentioned in the OP but see that it concerned Tideswell in Derbyshire. It's a while since I've been through there but I can't recall any space in the village itself where an "aire" could be sited - and that is true of many villages. Add to that the fact that the area round Tideswell (like many country areas) has dozens of caravan sites already and I wonder whether any more provision is actually needed/possible in such places.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back