Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Prompted by the thread on tvs for a MH (which has saved me asking the same question, thanks!) I need advice on a tv aerial.

The previous owner used a standard aerial on an extending pole fastened into clips on the side of the van. I don't like this for various reasons, not least 'cos I can't reach the top clip!

I would like a permanently installed aerial, which I assume means it will be on the roof of the van. I'm prepared to have it professionally installed if this is recommended. TV isn't a high priority for us, I will be buying a combined tv/dvd player and we're happy to settle for dvds if there's poor reception. Having said that I can't abide fuzzy, crackly tv so will require a decent job when the signal is there. For the moment we're not planning on touring abroad so UK tv reception is the only requirement (if there's a difference)

I haven't yet done any research on what's available, costs etc. - all advice gratefully received as usual.

Mike

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
From my history of roof mounted aerials I never found one that was any good. I had an all dancing Status 11 with booster. My friend got a far better picture with an ordinary portable aerial. This was the same anywhere we went. Maybe I was just unlucky?:Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We carry a 3-step aluminium stepladder instead of the standard ladder supplied for climbing into the Luton (which is safely stored at home for if/when we change the van). That means I can reach to put the awning on and the top of the two clips I installed to hold an aerial pole :Smile:

Having said that, the aerial and its pole are in the garage at home as we find it easier to use a camping satellite kit bought from Aldi (with home made tripod). Often enough, though, we just use the Status aerial (which was on the van when we bought it) because we don't watch all that much TV, especially as we can get the weather forecast on-line by phone these days :Smile:

As regards the TV. If you want to use one off hook-up then you need one which will work off a 12v supply. See Broken Link Removed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Stand by for the "I bought a damp piece of string from maplins brigade"
My opinion there is one and one only that looks the part and does the jobStatus 530 short post and the status 530/5 long post pricey but you get what you pay for Goes thro the roof into a top cupboard (short post) or into wardrobe (long post) or as you already have clips fitted almost any mick mouse arial will do
The circular flying saucer status11 is good if you have a dog, they make super frisbies:thumb:

Attachments

• product_thumb.jpg
    product_thumb.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 8

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well Mike, you dont stand much chance of getting fuzzy, crackly tv in the uk any more.

with the advent of digital tv you either get a picture or you dont...simple as that. :thumb:

what you will get, on the other hand, will be pixelating and picture freezing if you dont have a strong signal.

aligning the aerial has to be much more precise than it ever was with anologue tv.

dont expect to get all channels in every location either, i found out recently that main transmitters chuck out all digi channels wereas repeater transmitters only show the most popular ones ....usually BBC 1/2/3/4 and ITV 1/2/3/4 the +1 versions
and one or two others.

you also need to know the polarity of the signals...horizontal or vertical....meaning the aerial 'blade' will be up and down (vertical) or side to side (horizontal)
different areas use different polarity.

the aerial Geo recommends (530/5 and 530/10) has the ability to be changed from within the van....a bonus if its chucking down with rain :thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Mike
I bought a £10.00 ariel from Wilkinsons, I clamp it to a alluminium brush stale with a tightening joint in the middle so its easy to turn in the right direction, then clamp it to my bike rake, so far good reception all over uk, dont forget to retune your tv in every different area you visit to get the local channels, (natural thing to do I know but there was a chap in London who had no reception when away from home for the last 3 years :Doh::bigsmile:ue to not retuning ) Pete :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we have just been to Norfolk for a week and could not use the sat dish because of trees , had to resort to the flying saucer Ariel on the van roof , what a surprise it gave us a fantastic quality picture now the area has been switched over to digital signal and the power boosted ,i even had to turn the amplifier down to low :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.