Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Is it a legal requirement to have the habitation service carried out by the dealer from whom van was purchased while the van is under warranty? Also if this dealer holds the concession for an imported van do you have to use them for the service?
Any comments would be welcome as the dealer we bought from charges £65 +VAT an hour for labour. :Eeek:
Elizabeth

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The engine service can be done by any VAT registered garage, as long as they use manufacturers parts. The habitation check by any approved workshop of mobile fitter i.e. CLS

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Concur with Dave..

mobile habitation companies have much lower overheads so can offer a more competitive price .. £65 per hour sounds about average for a main dealer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 4, 2010
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS C CLASS
Exp
Concur with Dave..

mobile habitation companies have much lower overheads so can offer a more competitive price .. £65 per hour sounds about average for a main dealer.

Hi Dave

Can you give me any advice on going to Morocco (noticed your photo) and suggestions on what to take etc.

Gaudie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Dave

Can you give me any advice on going to Morocco (noticed your photo) and suggestions on what to take etc.

Gaudie

Hi .. it's Jim :roflmto:

went with Desert Detours in 2007, so didn't have to do a lot of planning or thinking about what to take.. Was fulltime at that point and touring Spain.. it was a spur of the moment decision so just went as we were.. We stayed on after the tour and did some exploring on our own.. that was the best part..

Would love to go back one day but on my own.. and if doing so would have to consider things like breakdown insurance and what spares etc to take.. and I wouldn't do it in an RV .. too many places we couldn't go because of it's size and unsuitability for off road.

That doesn't mean you need a full blown trans continental 4x4 expedition vehicle.. just something a bit more robust and with no fancy black boxes to go wrong .. something a blacksmith can repair.. an old merc panel van conversion would be my ideal camper

maybe start a new thread, ?

I'm sure there are others with ideas and information ..

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Concur with Dave..

Must be doing it all wrong then:cry::Doh:

SERVICE CHARGES
Motorhome Habitation service £135.00 + vat​
Mechanical service £145.00 + vat​
Single axle caravans £160.00 + vat​
Double axle caravans £180.00 + vat​
Please note that service prices do not include parts.​
At Johns Cross Motorcaravans we can supply and fit many different accessories at very competetive rates.​
Labour charges
Motorcaravan and caravan hourly rate £42.00 + vat​
Mechanical hourly rate £48.00 + vat​

OP
OP
artemis

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years

SERVICE CHARGES
Motorhome Habitation service £135.00 + vat​
Mechanical service £145.00 + vat​
Single axle caravans £160.00 + vat​
Double axle caravans £180.00 + vat​
Please note that service prices do not include parts.​
At Johns Cross Motorcaravans we can supply and fit many different accessories at very competetive rates.​
Labour charges
Motorcaravan and caravan hourly rate £42.00 + vat​

Thanks for the breakdown. I wish we lived nearer to you. Maybe next year we could arrange for you to do the services.

OP
OP
artemis

artemis

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Hi Artemis,

I note you are based in Shropshire, may I suggest you have a chat with this man, you may well be surprised!

www.davenewell.co.uk

good luck

Thanks. Our van is actually going to Dave Newell tomorrow for some minor adjustments. He is based about 4 miles from us. We will ask him about the habitation check
Elizabeth

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

SERVICE CHARGES

Motorhome Habitation service £135.00 + vat

Mechanical service £145.00 + vat

Single axle caravans £160.00 + vat

Double axle caravans £180.00 + vat

Please note that service prices do not include parts.

At Johns Cross Motorcaravans we can supply and fit many different accessories at very competetive rates.

Labour charges

Motorcaravan and caravan hourly rate £42.00 + vat

John,
Do the labour charges have to be added to the service charges and how long does the habitation service take?

Norman

Oct 4, 2010
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS C CLASS
Exp
Hi .. it's Jim :roflmto:

went with Desert Detours in 2007, so didn't have to do a lot of planning or thinking about what to take.. Was fulltime at that point and touring Spain.. it was a spur of the moment decision so just went as we were.. We stayed on after the tour and did some exploring on our own.. that was the best part..

Would love to go back one day but on my own.. and if doing so would have to consider things like breakdown insurance and what spares etc to take.. and I wouldn't do it in an RV .. too many places we couldn't go because of it's size and unsuitability for off road.

That doesn't mean you need a full blown trans continental 4x4 expedition vehicle.. just something a bit more robust and with no fancy black boxes to go wrong .. something a blacksmith can repair.. an old merc panel van conversion would be my ideal camper

maybe start a new thread, ?

I'm sure there are others with ideas and information ..

Hi Jim
It's now 2011 and since contacting you have done quite a bit of travelling in the UK, Belgium, France, Spain, Gibraltar and Canada but NOT Morocco.
This year/next I am thinking about it again and would like to know if you still intend to go to Morocco on your own?
If you reply, we can at least start a dialogue.
Til then take care.
Gaudie

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
John,
Do the labour charges have to be added to the service charges and how long does the habitation service take?

Norman

Good morning Norman,

The habitation and mechanical services are a flat rate, only extras would be parts and any rectifications needed if found.

Both services can be completed if a day and if you had to stay over for rectifications ( we are fussy but we do not invent faults to bump the bill up)
there is a free hook up outside.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back